Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

WARNING **** GoPro pulls a Bait and Switch on thousands of Customers using Hero 8 Black GPS Overlay

[ New ]

No one was ever informed that the new Hero 8 Black no longer works to add the GPS overlay using Quik.  I purchased a new camera primarily to replace my 7 Black since the new camera had image stabilization.  After purchasing it I immediately discovered this feature no longer worked.  I visited this site to research the issue, only to read others have been experincing the same issue.  In response to those posts, personel from GoPro Support replies saying they are working to resolve the issue.   NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!!!  I waited patiently for a resolution to surface.  Now some time has passed and no fix has been released.  I chatted a support rep last night and he (Cezar) informs me that there is no fix and that I must use the phone App to add the overlay AND that since my camera is past the 30 day return policy that I'm stuck with it.  This is total crap lies from the beginning.  I asked if they would replace it with the new 9 Black after he tells me it does work on this camera.  Today they send me an email saying because they never mentioned that the GPS overlay worked with Quik any longer that they would not help me at all and will not replace my new camera with one that works properly.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 4.51.18 PM.png

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: WARNING **** GoPro pulls a Bait and Switch on thousands of Customers using Hero 8 Black GPS O...

[ New ]

Hi @jiblety

Please note that while some functions of cameras may work with Quik for desktop, we have not provided any updates to the program prior to HERO8 and therefore we are unable to determine what features will work, what won't, and what consistency you may get with HERO8 and newer cameras.

There are 3rd party desktop applications you may try to overlay telemetry. Ex. Racerender

You may also check this thread.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: WARNING **** GoPro pulls a Bait and Switch on thousands of Customers using Hero 8 Black GPS O...

[ New ]

Hi @jiblety

Please note that while some functions of cameras may work with Quik for desktop, we have not provided any updates to the program prior to HERO8 and therefore we are unable to determine what features will work, what won't, and what consistency you may get with HERO8 and newer cameras.

There are 3rd party desktop applications you may try to overlay telemetry. Ex. Racerender

You may also check this thread.

Thanks!

Ej

Backpacker

Re: WARNING **** GoPro pulls a Bait and Switch on thousands of Customers using Hero 8 Black GPS Ove

[ New ]

Actually it's not a case of Bait and Switch, it's a case of people not bothering to read.

It clearly states on the Quik software page "3Compatible with HERO7 Black, HERO7 Silver, HERO6 Black, and HERO5 cameras:

This has been there since Quik was released.  Quik also hasn't been updated in 2 years, it is now legacy software and it's not going to be developed any further.  The last update was before the GoPro Hero 8 was released and this is one of the reasons it does not support the 8 (as it was discontinued before the release date).

There are plenty of 3rd party solutions out there for GPS data, many of which far exceed the capabilities of quik and offer far more options.  So stop using Quik, it's terrible software and should never have been used ever by anyone.