Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Videos won't play

[ New ]

I recorded about 10 videos over the weekend. 2 of these seem to corrupted. They appear on my camera, but will not play. On my iPhone, I can download them to the Quik app but they do not play there, and can't be exported to photos. All of the other videos can do both. My MacBook Air does not even recognize the files - they don't seem to be visible even when I plug the SD card in directly via adapter.

It is a SanDisk 256GB and less than 10% of the space is used, so that is not the issue. These were the first two videos recorded in the sequence if that matters.

Is there a way to recover the videos? And more importantly how/why is this happening? 20% video failure rate is not very good.

GoPro

Re: Videos won't play

[ New ]

Hello, @nobleapex03478. The high rate of video failure as you observed is definitely not normal. To isolate the issue was your camera on the latest firmware? Was the SD card formatted prior to being used for recording? 

Was there an error message or notification on the camera that may have indicated a corruption of the file or an issue with the SD card/camera? Were the videos recorded with the same resolution? 

These troubleshooting steps will help clear an SD Err issue if this is what has been observed. Unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as the methods may vary from SD card manufacturers. It would be best to reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for the reply. The camera is on latest firmware. I can't recall if I formatted the SD card when I purchased it, but I have used it in this GoPro before with no issues. I have not formatted it in between these previous sessions and this one (am I supposed to?).

The resolution did not change between videos. I may have changed the wide angle setting but that would have been the only change (and not even sure this was changed). 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi, @nobleapex03478. Checking to see if you are still observing the same issue with your camera. Formatting the card will help isolate the issue but please do this only after you have recovered or saved your files from the card. The card manufacturer can help with this task. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!