Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Videos play fine in GoPro App but in Slow Motion when downloaded to Iphone Photos, FB or Windows

[ New ]

Just shot a ton on video on vacation which plays bavck great on my GoPro 8 and GoPro App. If I save them to my Iphone (or Windows 10 Computer & Facebook) they start fast but after a few seconds always then go to slow motion. It's very frustrating. My question has two parts

a) For videos already made is their a way to cinvert them to play at regualr speed after exporting

b) Is their a setting in my GoPro to prevent this issue happening in the future

(On googling it seems the frame rate is the issue and the default is set at 120 - I just cant figure out how to fix as per my questions)

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Videos play fine in GoPro App but in Slow Motion when downloaded to Iphone Photos, FB or Windows

[ New ]

The issue is that there's not really much difference between a slow motion video and a high frame rate video.

When you record a "normal" 5 second video for example, the frame rate is usually around 30FPS.

When you record a high frame rate 5 second video, you could use a video at 120FPS, the difference is that it will be very crisp and clear when played back at 120FPS

When you record a slow motion video, you could also use a video at 120FPS, however the video is usually marked as "play back at 30FPS", this means your 120FPS is now playing at 30FPS and your video now lasts 20 seconds as it's being played back 4 times slower.

The problem is, the GoPro app can read that information and it knows which is a normal video, high frame rate video and slow motion video.  Other apps can't read that info though and don't know if your 120FPS video is meant to be a high frame rate video or a slow motion video.  So by default it just assumes everything needs to be played back at 30FPS. 

It's just a matter of putting it into an editor and speeding your clip back up to the frame rate that you desire.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

Re: Videos play fine in GoPro App but in Slow Motion when downloaded to Iphone Photos, FB or Windows

[ New ]

The issue is that there's not really much difference between a slow motion video and a high frame rate video.

When you record a "normal" 5 second video for example, the frame rate is usually around 30FPS.

When you record a high frame rate 5 second video, you could use a video at 120FPS, the difference is that it will be very crisp and clear when played back at 120FPS

When you record a slow motion video, you could also use a video at 120FPS, however the video is usually marked as "play back at 30FPS", this means your 120FPS is now playing at 30FPS and your video now lasts 20 seconds as it's being played back 4 times slower.

The problem is, the GoPro app can read that information and it knows which is a normal video, high frame rate video and slow motion video.  Other apps can't read that info though and don't know if your 120FPS video is meant to be a high frame rate video or a slow motion video.  So by default it just assumes everything needs to be played back at 30FPS. 

It's just a matter of putting it into an editor and speeding your clip back up to the frame rate that you desire.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks Very Much - that's very helpful. Do you have any Editors you recommend that can do this to gett eh video's back to "normal"?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Davinci resolve is a professional editor, it looks complicated but you can use it to do what you want, it also has the advantage of being free.  So you may as well dive in and learn how to professionaly edit while you're at it (and don't worry if you don't want to, speeding up footage is just as easy as clicking "adjust speed").  

Fact is there's loads of editors out there, so you can just pick one that suits.