Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Videos cannot be viewed : Hero 6

Hello,

So, I recently got back from a trip, and I brought my laptop along so everyday I can upload my GoPro H6 videos onto there and clear up memory for the SD card. I can watch my videos perfectly fine on that laptop which I just mentioned, but when I tried to transfer them over to my regular PC I cannot view them. All my desktop computer shows is a black screen with audio in the background. I have tried using 2 different flashdrives, an SD card, and my GoPro again to transfer them between computers but it is always the same. I can see all the videos perfectly on my laptop but not my desktop. My desktop is extremely powerful and my laptop is not which is why I need them on the more powerful pc to edit them. 

Again, I can see the videos perfectly on my laptop (whether I am watching them directly from the desktop files, from the flashdrive files, or from the GoPro files) but none of these work on my desktop.

Please explain to me as if I were ten years old since I don't know much about cameras/videos.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Videos cannot be viewed : Hero 6

A shortcut to getting the information you need to convert your footage is to follow this link https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/how-to-convert-gopro-hevc-videos-to-h-264-using-handbrake

Handbrake is free and does a good job of preserving the quality of your videos but putting them into a usable format.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @claylampen

What is the resolution of the video files that you have?You mentioned that the desktop is more powerful than the laptop, will you be able to provide a summary of theirs respective operating systems? Has this always been the case with your GoPro files? Or only with those coming from the HERO6 Black camera? Please provide us more information so we can help further. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

I did a ton of researching and looking at other support tabs and I'm pretty sure the problem is that I recorded in 1080p 240 fps which makes it record in HEVC format but I only have a Haswell 4th gen processor in my desktop while my laptop is newer so it has an i3 Kaby Lake processor. The only thing I'm going to have to figure out now is how to get HEVC into H.264. So what I was seeing wasn't corrupted files or anything, but rather just that I can't watch them.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@claylampen - Check out the info at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc. There is some info at the bottom of the page that may be just what you're looking for.

Jeff

Highlighted
Explorer

A shortcut to getting the information you need to convert your footage is to follow this link https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/how-to-convert-gopro-hevc-videos-to-h-264-using-handbrake

Handbrake is free and does a good job of preserving the quality of your videos but putting them into a usable format.