Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Video tearing on Hero 8

A419AB8E-83C7-4E43-B7E5-8BF66823F6E3.jpegHave experienced this a few times and not sure what's going on. 

The camera seems to tear/split the footage, then the camera usually hangs and I've got to power it off and on again. 

Camera has latest firmware and using a 256gig Samsung Evo Plus SD card. 

The attached image shows it somewhat, the right side of the image is a small amount of the video looping, while the left side is showing the "live" footage

Any ideas what's going on?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Video tearing on Hero 8

Make sure that you've formatted your SD card in the camera before use, this is an important step as it sets your card up to use the exact format that the camera uses. 

There's been reported issues with people using the Samsung evo plus card in a GoPro.  Even though it's supposed to be just a rebranded Evo Select, however I only use the Evo Select cards and I've never had an issue.

Basically what you're seeing isn't tearing (tearing would show live video on both sides), what you're seeing is part of the EIS info stuck in the buffer.

So I would do a manual update of your camera (manual, not via the app) you can follow this instructional video here:

Then I would format your memory card in the pc (after backing up any important data)and run a scandisk/chckdisc on the memory card to look for errors,  before putting it in your camera and format it again in your camera.

You can also try disabling the EIS (hypersmooth) you shouldn't actually need it underwater as the water offers enough resistance to counter any shake.

If the image issues you see below continue, try using a different SD card to see if the issue persists.

View solution in original post

In this video I will show you how to update the firmware of your GoPro Hero 8. The reason for this is that sometimes the written instructions don't always ma...

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Make sure that you've formatted your SD card in the camera before use, this is an important step as it sets your card up to use the exact format that the camera uses. 

There's been reported issues with people using the Samsung evo plus card in a GoPro.  Even though it's supposed to be just a rebranded Evo Select, however I only use the Evo Select cards and I've never had an issue.

Basically what you're seeing isn't tearing (tearing would show live video on both sides), what you're seeing is part of the EIS info stuck in the buffer.

So I would do a manual update of your camera (manual, not via the app) you can follow this instructional video here:

Then I would format your memory card in the pc (after backing up any important data)and run a scandisk/chckdisc on the memory card to look for errors,  before putting it in your camera and format it again in your camera.

You can also try disabling the EIS (hypersmooth) you shouldn't actually need it underwater as the water offers enough resistance to counter any shake.

If the image issues you see below continue, try using a different SD card to see if the issue persists.

In this video I will show you how to update the firmware of your GoPro Hero 8. The reason for this is that sometimes the written instructions don't always ma...
Highlighted
Tourist

Cheers for the response. Appreciate the detail as to why it happens, not just “format your card”.

Will give it a go :)
Highlighted
Nomad

You are very welcome, I hope that the solution helps solve the issue!  Good luck making awesome video's.