Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Reply
Highlighted
Hiker
Posts: 18

Re: Video stabilization

This explains the jumpy footage. Hope this gets sorted out soon as this is one of the main reasons people bought this unit.

Highlighted
Backpacker
Posts: 803

Re: Video stabilization

I'll put here one of my response regarding the stabilization jumping image......maybe explains, at a very intuitive level, what happens....

 

hi all,

 

 

 

.....

 

 

my view of EIS stabilization is:

a crop is made from the entire surface of the sensor, in the centre.

as long as the movement of the camera can be compensated by the movement of the cropped area inside the entire area, stabilization works.

when the movement is too steep, with a larger amplitude, if the cropped has to "move" more than the entire area, it is not possible to compensate the movement, so the image "jumps".

 

if we want less "jumps", we have to accept more crop, to give the camera the chance to compensate.

 

Untitled.jpg

EIS works fantastic till the cropped area, between frames, remain in the entire area. 

this leads to another known behaviour:

- in low light, when the shutter speed is 1/25 1/30 ...meaning 1/fps, the chance the crop area to exceed the entire area is way greater...because has more time to do it....and the stabilized image looks jelly.

 

I keep saying, in life and in technology everything has a price...

 

just me,

 

robert

  

 

 

Highlighted
Hiker
Posts: 30

Re: Video stabilization

i'm basically walking around holding the camera, not on a bike, not running or anything and it will jump.   my phone does a much better job, something else is going on where they could say if it goes beyond the frame to do something else rather than the whole thing just jump.

Highlighted
Hiker
Posts: 18

Re: Video stabilization

Thanks for the technical insight robert1326, will definitely consider these when shooting. I'll probably do a few tests to see the difference and adjust accordingly. Maybe panning should be done more delicately with a shorter grip as compared to a gopole?

 

Kudos!

Highlighted
Explorer
Posts: 12,961

Re: Video stabilization

This is how I understand the 5% crop and why GoPro changed it to read 10% after the update. When measuring screens it's done diagonally from the top left corner to the bottom right. If you can picture this it leaves a top half and bottom half. The Hero6 crops 5% from the top half's border and 5% from the bottom. When people were putting unstabilized footage into their video editors and then comparing it to stabilized video, they would need to apply a 10% reduction in scale to get the videos equal in scale. It's still 5% crop around the top half border and 5% crop around the bottom, but in totality the image is scaled down 10%.

When it comes to EIS, if you use a slight zoom (when available) it helps reduce the jumpy motions. It also helps to have good lighting and a clearly defined horizon.
Highlighted
Backpacker
Posts: 803

Re: Video stabilization

hi @keith3po,

 

what helps EIS?

- very good point @danielr15 said a little zoon

- good light - means the shutter speed is lower, freezes the frames better, the movement between frames is less, less chance to be out of the 10% zone

- smooth movement when panning yes, you are right!... just to give the camera the chance to follow the movement

 

when shaking and the camera remains in the comfort EIS zone, does not matter, is perfect:

 

just to realise the trail, see the handlebar movements

https://youtu.be/5Z_Ace-_bHQ

 

all those shaky were removed by the EIS, even in lower light conditions than with karma....but the "jumps" of the trees appear some times....due to the zone....

https://youtu.be/5ySHQKOdP7g

 

just me,

robert

 

 

 

 

 

to have an idea on how shaky is the terrrain, please see: https://youtu.be/5Z_Ace-_bHQ hero6,mounted on handlebar 2.7K50fps superview stabilization on PT off...
Highlighted
Hiker
Posts: 30

Re: Video stabilization

the videos above are shot in 2k it looks like,  4k seems to have alot more jumping.

 

this video below (4k/30) is just walking holding the camera fairly steady in hand on a paved sidewalk.  it really shouldn't be noticeable, but when i first start walking toward the trees you can see it jump appearing to relevel itself.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diIAqFzcf0Q    

 

 

Highlighted
Explorer
Posts: 12,961

Re: Video stabilization

Yes, you will see better stabilization when the sensor has more room to work with. With 4K you're using the entire sensor minus the small crop.

When shooting in 4K I almost always use the Karma Grip.