Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Video from Fusion Studio unstable and steadily panning

[ Edited ]

I have exported a number of 360 degree videos from Fusion Studio 1.3 into both Final Cut Pro X and Premiere Pro, and when placed on the timeline they all pan slowly but steadily to the right. Its a hassle having to constantly insert keyframes to keep the videos stable. Why is it doing this? I select full stabilisation when stiching in Fusion Studio but this makes no difference. The same thing happens if the exported video is played in quicktime. After approximately 3 minutes the video has panned a full 180 degrees?  S

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Video from Fusion Studio unstable and steadily panning

This is just a pain in the butt caused by bad gyro information coming from the camera.  The camera thinks it's slowly moving right when it's steady.  Unfortunately Fusion Studio lacks a horizon or world lock function so there's no way to currently remove this.  GoPro are working on new software for the Max that may contain these features.  If so, it may be possible to export footage using Fusion studio and then put it into the max software to eliminate such rotation.  That's the only way to fix the footage for now (and it's not available yet).

The only other way to disable the camera rotation is to shoot in Timelapse mode.  Not much help but that's all I got, sorry!

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks very much for your response, I was beginning to think I was the only one who was having this problem! Is this a gyro fault in all Fusion cameras, or just some of them? I’m guessing it would require a correction of the meta-data embedded in the file to stop this happening for static tripod mounted cameras?
S
Highlighted
Nomad

It's not a constant fault, so I would assume that either resetting your camera, reflashing firmware or just pulling the battery and replacing it may recalibrate the gyro info.  

Highlighted
Tourist

Thankyou irishmanpdx,

There's a firmware update for the Fusion that i need to install so I'll see if that helps, along with a full reset.

Thanks for your comments and assistance.

S

www.redtapemusic.biz

Highlighted
Nomad

Good luck!  Hopefully it works out, at least you'll get a resolution bump from the new firmware.  The other bug I noticed with the Fusion is that sometimes when you power it off the **bleep** thing powers off off.... and by that I mean the bluetooth connection is killed too (it's supposed to stay on for 8 hours).  PITA when the darn thing is mounted on the wing of an airplane...

Highlighted
Hiker

I did a recording while I was on board a Carousel, and the POV would slowly rotate. My solution was to restitch with "Anti-shake" enabled and not "Full Stabilization" . Annoying for sure.
Highlighted
Nomad

Thanks for the tip.  Yes this is annoying but I suspect it's an overall issue with the video process.  Once stitched you have a sphere of video, but there's no way for a video editor to know which if the front of the camera as it simply see's a sphere.  There should be a marker included in the meta data that the video software could read as a fixed point, even if it's just for reference.