Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Video files corrupted, Hero6 black latest firmware, Lexar1000x UHS II 64G

[ Edited ]

Just recorded a 25 minute Karting session with the following setting: 2.7K, 60FPS, GPS & Stablization on, Wide.

The capture was splited to two mp4 files, one 8G and the other around 5G. Both files were corrupted, straight out of the camera. The camera won't play it, all sorts of software on mac and pc, no luck.

Tried stella phoenix video repair, the clip generated from the demo verison did play. When imported back into QUICK, the GPS data was gone in the rescued file.

Is there another way to rescue the video file and retain the GPS info., really important for track activity.

help needed!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Video files corrupted, Hero6 black latest firmware, Lexar1000x UHS II 64G

Hi @daniely575

I am sorry to hear about what happened. Unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data. You may check with the SD card manufacturer for their recommendations. 

What software version is your camera on? Preferences> About this GoPro

Also, please note that the SD card you have is not one of the recommended cards that work well with your camera.

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @daniely575

I am sorry to hear about what happened. Unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data. You may check with the SD card manufacturer for their recommendations. 

What software version is your camera on? Preferences> About this GoPro

Also, please note that the SD card you have is not one of the recommended cards that work well with your camera.

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006

Hi, thx for the reply.

The camera was running v02.01 firmware. The card I was using was the same specification to the recommended Lexar 1000x microSDXC UHS-3 128GB (LSDMI128CBNL1000R), just the 64GB version.

The camera and card have been working without any issue since Iast October through the snowboard season. Quite a few karting sessions as well till today.

Last week I encountered some issue from anothe karting session on the same track, the GPS position and readings were 1-2 seconds ahead of my track position (gps log out of synch with video). The video files were intact though. Might just be some interference. And this week, boom, the whole session lost. If there is absolutely no way to retreive GPS data, might just have to pay for the rescue software (they ain't cheap) and get the video back, sigh.

With so many people complaining about corrupted video files, Gopro should really consider offer some software as fallback tools, instead of blaming the card.

Daniel

Highlighted
Hiker

In future I'd advise that you turn off the camera and let it sit for at least 10 seconds just to make sure it writes out the last bytes of the video file.

Though both files shouldn't be corrupted, only the last one being written. It could well be a dodgy microSD card

Highlighted
Hiker

@darronm46

good suggestion on wait bf taking out the card. Did eactly that, actually it's two hours later back at home from the track.

About the card, it's the Gopro recommended brand and specification, the only difference is size (what's on the list was the 128GB version, mine was 64GB.) Can't believe the camera won't work with a smaller card of the same specification.