Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Video file with one still image

[ New ]

I have a video, that is a still image.

It looks like on whole video there is single image recorded from the moment I started recording.

This is for the all files recorded up to battery change.

Now I have a 15GB of single image video with correct audio. Looks like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Z4yEdq460

Video: 4K 30fps SuperWide Stabilized with ProTune

SD: Samsung Evo Plus 64GB

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
GoPro

Re: Video file with one still image

[ New ]

Hi @quicksand10622

This is just the first time I ran across such issue. What camera are you using?

Have you tried recording with a different video settings?

Is it the same case when you play the video on the camera directly or via the GoPro app?

There's a chance that this issue is related to the SD card or it could be on the software. 

Please note that the SD card you are using is not one of the recommended cards that work well with GoPro cameras.

Kindly test the camera with one of the cards listed here to isolate the issue further.

If it's still the same after testing the camera with a recommended card, please run a manual software update.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

I did not use different setting, as I was not aware of this issue until I imported my files from few days.

Seems all files for one day have this issue.

I change battery every day, and files recorded AFTER changing the battery (from next days) are fine.

It is like something needed to power cycle to work correctly.

Camera is GoPro Hero 6 Black, firmware 2.01

Does not matter if I play on camera or usin GoPro app, or files copied to PC.

I do not think this issue is related to SD card, as I am using it for a while and this is the first and only time that something is not ok.

Besides all files reorded are fine (after battery change).

I did run manual update.

What bothers me is that I lost all recording from one day

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @quicksand10622

Thanks for getting back to us with the information. 

I am not certain what happened on the said recording. It is unfortunate but you may seek out help from your card manufacturer if there is a way to retrieve the file.

To consistently achieve the best results with your GoPro camera it is important that you are using one of the recommended cards.

Feel free to post back for any updates.

Best regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Why would I need to contack sd card manufacturer ?

I do not have a problem with the file itself. I can copy it and import.

File is not corrupted, audio is fine. Also picture during all video is fine (not damaged).

Also any video editor does not indicate problems with file itself.

Looks like GoPro is like Apple in camers world.

- My Mac Book does not work properly.

- Did You use our one and only recommended usb cable?

Not sure if this is actually funny or what.

I will buy one of the recommnded cards anyway.

Hopefully this will help (not sure how).

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi quicksand10622,

Make sure you're using a recommended SD card.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

After getting a new SD card try to install a new firmware and check if issue persist. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

I have the absolutely same problem here. Can you please advice how to repair those kind of files?

I am using the Hero6 Black for a long time now nearly every day, but this is the first time I've noticed such behavior.

Used card: Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 U3

I doubt that this is a card issue....

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @air-davos

Thank you for the feedback, and the details that you provided. I read from your other post that you have already ran the manual update, to no avail. I have reported this matter to the team and will post an update once I hear back from them. Alternatively, you can reach out to our Support team here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Best regards, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello again,

Now I do not know what to think. I will probably return my GoPro.
After spending significant amount money for the camera, accessories, recommended SD card, I got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmT8ZFhyzew

Really dissapointing.

Settings: 4k, 30 fps, Ultra Wide, PT ON, Stabilization ON.

Also when I am turning off the camera I got black display, and SAVING on front display for a very long time (up to battery 0% and power down).

Hiker

[ New ]

My Sd card is the one from picture:

20180924_075454.jpg

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/extreme-microsd-for-action-cameras

Front display looks like this:

20180924_072219.jpg

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @quicksand10622

That video clearly shows quality issue. The SD card that you are using is among the recommended ones on the list so we are good with it. If you have already manually updated your camera and the issue obviously still exists, the next path forward would be to engage our Support team. They can help you sort this matter out. Please get in touch with them through phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 

Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

Already did.

Support team advised replacement under warranty.

Hiker

[ New ]

I received camera from service. No replaced (as expected) - service did not reproduce problem.

I have no idea what is service procedure, but I easily got 4 times recorded short video with still image from first frame, and normal audio in 5 minutes tests.

Yes, I have fuc***g recommended SD card.

Yes, camera is updated to 2.01

Yes, I did reset to factory after update

Yes, service did same as above.

Recommendation from service: use recommended sd card, use wall socket charger (?), format sd card.

Again... disapointment.

Wasted money.

I think I just need to buy Xiaomi, sony or something else but not another GoPro.

I have a feeling that video with half of image freezed is only matter of time.

Taking amount of money that piece of sh*** cost it is fu***ng ridiculous now.

Hiker

[ New ]

After getting freezed image video at least 20 times in 30 minutes of testing I recorded this:

https://youtu.be/AIpnRCiuV-I

There is a serial number, settings and firmware version included.

SD: Sandisk Extreme 128GB V30

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Adventurer

[ New ]

the sd card you are using what is it's write speed?  if hte write speed i then gopro needs to come forward and tell you that the requirements for 4K  video is at  X Amount of write speed. that may be where the issue lies?  Since you are testing out, can you  find a lower capacity and higher write speed card?  If not then  why did not gopro do that test and confirm your camera is fine, they did what say ATP = all test passed?

gopro resolutions are always update  reflash firmware of hte latest. always use the sd card recommended the minimun one they give is a Extreme 60 write speed, get a 90 or higher write speed. nothing less.

Neverhave I ran into that trouble but this is a small world see if a friend has  a sdxc card give it a shot.

I hear ya and hope that helped a little.

Hiker

[ New ]

Card I am using is on GoPro's recommended list.

Read 100MB/s, Write 90MB/s according to manufacturer. Also marked as "Works with GoPro" on SD card package.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/extreme-microsd-for-action-cameras

Previously used Samsung Pro 64GB,m also very fast card, but not on recommended list. So I spend not such small amount of money and bought recommended one, which did not solve the problem.

Issue is not related to SD card. I think problem is bug in camera firmaware or hardware issue.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Understood.  so you  try Downgradingyor gopro firmware  to see if that Resolves the problem?  

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @quicksand10622

When you mentioned service, did you mean GoPro Support team? (like the team you can reach through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs )

I checked with Support and we cannot seem to find a case for a replacement camera, unless the case is in a different email profile. 

Your SD card is good, and if as previously-advised, you have already manually updated your camera and the issue is observed still, a replacement camera under warranty would be needed. 

Hope to hear back from you. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

By service, I mean company responsible for warranty in Poland.

Replacement under warranty is exactly what gopro support recommended - case 05080628.

So I took my receipt and camera, went to the place where I purchased my gopro and after 2 weeks I have it back.

Short description what has been done:

- again update to 2.01

- factory reset

some tests performed and issue not reproduced. They telling about filling memory card few times, but if they did that just by pressing record, and wait until card is full I am not suprised they did not reproduce problem.

recommendation:

- format sd card

- use wall socket charger, as it is faster (how this is relevant to the case???)

No replacement.

Right now I think I will just return or sell my GoPro and buy something else. If I need to deal with such problems, at least it should be cheap.

Tourist

[ New ]

Gopro stop acting as if this is a new issue. It's been reported quite a few times on this forum never with an answer.

I have the same issue in different modes.

Hero 6 black

FW 2.01

Card: SanDisk Extreme 64GB

I have just lost 2 irreplaceable important files AGAIN this weekend.

Recording mode is 4K, 25fps, protune, stabilised

WE NEED A FIX.

Or my money back.

Hiker

[ New ]

I just got my new, replaced Gopro 6, and during short test (same as I did after receiving from service), and... I am no longer getting freezed videos!

Hopefully it will be like that also some time later, and seems this actually is some kind of HW issue, as firmware is the same.

I was convinced that replcement will not solve this problem as I thought it is sw issue, but apparently I was wrong.

Hiker

[ New ]
I noticed also one more thing - my replacement camera runs significantly cooler. It dissipates less heat. Perhaps this is one of factors to get into troubles. At least my problems started at very warm summer (up to 37 *C in a shadow). Also it appears that now whole case is getting warm instead of hot spot just under lens. Anyway - replacement seems to be a solution for me.
Hiker

[ New ]

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!

Replacement camera had firmware 1.6

After updating to 2.01 freezed video is back !!!

GoPro - This is for sure SOFTWARE issue.

When 2.01 will be fixed ?

How can I downgrade to 1.6 ?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @quicksand10622,

You cannot downgrade unless you have the old firmware. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

I managed to downgrade to 1.60, but this is only a workaround, not a solution.

Hopefully GoPro wil finally fix the problem and release some working firmware. Right now, they offer another camera replacement.

But I need to make video, that issue is reproducible with more than one sd card. I thought they pay their testers for such things, but now it looks that users are the testers. "Just get another card and check if it works". By "get" they mean "borrow from a friend", I mean "buy a next one". Heh...

Also... it is impossible to return camera and get money back.

This GoPro is probably my first and last. BTW - problem is also reported on GoPro 7! But of course... "Do You have correct SD?" crap starts all over. "Please update to latest firmware manually" etc.