Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Video Settings GoPro Hero 5

Hello all, Quick question if someone could please. I have a GoPro Hero 5 and I have mounted it to my Remote Control car and to my Son's 360 Power Wheels and the video starts off great and then goes to a choppy viewing. I hear the audio correctly but after a few seconds of watching the video the rest is choppy. I know I probably have a setting or two off and I cannot figure it out. Could someone more skilled and advanced please lend some assistance? Thank you all.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Video Settings GoPro Hero 5

I would try a better media player like VLC media player. It's free to download and use.

It sounds like your computer is just having issues playing back your 4K video. Try uploading the video directly to youtube and see if it plays fine from a media browser.

For RC you will want a high frame rate and shutter if possible. I think you will be happier with footage shot in 1080/120. If you want a better resolution you can try 2.7/120 but this is going to be shot in HEVC and will be more taxing on your computer. If you can get good playback, then I would film in 2.7 4:3/60, ISO max 100 and a shutter of 1/480 to reduce rolling shutter. If you want a more natural motion blur then aim for a shutter of 1/120. Depending on your environment, this might end up in a image that is too bright and blown out. In that case, either use a ND filter or leave the shutter on Auto and decrease the ev a bit (this will cause the camera to speed up the shutter automatically). If 2.7 4:3 isn't playing back well on your computer, then try 1440/60. The 4:3 ratio will give you more top to bottom footage and should look much better. If you want to drop it into a 16:9 format you can. You'll either need to crop/zoom slightly or dynamically stretch the video, but either way, you'll get more to work with and probably a better overall shot.

Finally, since you are probably moving in and out of shadow and/or rapidly changing direction to and from the light source (sun?), you will most likely get better results if you manually set the white balance.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hey @davidt037,

Where are you viewing that content? What Resolution and frame rate is the footage?

Here are a few things you can try:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/How-to-Correct-Choppy-or-Broken-Up-Playback

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for your Reply. I am trying to view it on my pc through the GoPro uploading program for windows 10 "QUICK". I believe I might have had my FPS set to high while recording in 4k.

Highlighted
Explorer

I would try a better media player like VLC media player. It's free to download and use.

It sounds like your computer is just having issues playing back your 4K video. Try uploading the video directly to youtube and see if it plays fine from a media browser.

For RC you will want a high frame rate and shutter if possible. I think you will be happier with footage shot in 1080/120. If you want a better resolution you can try 2.7/120 but this is going to be shot in HEVC and will be more taxing on your computer. If you can get good playback, then I would film in 2.7 4:3/60, ISO max 100 and a shutter of 1/480 to reduce rolling shutter. If you want a more natural motion blur then aim for a shutter of 1/120. Depending on your environment, this might end up in a image that is too bright and blown out. In that case, either use a ND filter or leave the shutter on Auto and decrease the ev a bit (this will cause the camera to speed up the shutter automatically). If 2.7 4:3 isn't playing back well on your computer, then try 1440/60. The 4:3 ratio will give you more top to bottom footage and should look much better. If you want to drop it into a 16:9 format you can. You'll either need to crop/zoom slightly or dynamically stretch the video, but either way, you'll get more to work with and probably a better overall shot.

Finally, since you are probably moving in and out of shadow and/or rapidly changing direction to and from the light source (sun?), you will most likely get better results if you manually set the white balance.