Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Video+Photo mode (simultaneously)

Why can't we use the video+photo mode (for taking photos while recording a video) in higher resolutions / with higher frame rates? I didn't find a list showing a table in which resolutions / frame rates the video+photo mode is useable, and I actually expected more from the Hero 5 black.

It works with 1080p @ 30 FPS (one photo all 5s), but already isn't available anymore @ 60 fps.

In 1440p in just works @ 24 FPS, even 30 FPS isn't availably anymore.

In 2.7K it's not possible at all to capture any photos while recording the video.

Please enable video+photo mode up to 2.7K @ 60 FPS, my microSD card is more than fast enough to handle this (it can write more than 90 mb/s = 720 mbit/s) and the processing-power of the Hero 5 Black also should be enough, if it can handle electronic image-stabilization at those video-settings. You can disable EIS when capturing 2.7K video @ 60 FPS and photos at once, this feature would be MUCH more important for me than EIS. Also I would accept a reduction to 8 or 6 MP photos (if needed), but taking a photo each 1 or 2 seconds instead of 5s while recording the video.

GoPro Community Manager

Re: Video+Photo mode (simultaneously)

@galaxyranger - Thanks for the suggestion. The best place to post these types of ideas is on our Feedback page at https://gopro.com/feedback. 

Thanks,

Jeff

Hiker

@jefft- I did send this and other things through the feedback-form as well already, but never know if it really reaches someone, course there's neither a confirmation-mail, nor have I ever received a reply. Maybe because I started my first contact with the topic you also didn't reply to yet, the firmware-update that removed the 3rd party battery-support that everybody is extremly angry about ;) GoPro definitely needs to better listen to customer-feedback (at the moment GoPro works AGAINST them!), not only because of the battery-thing, also regarding the capture app for example. On the German Google PlayStore people only leave 1-star feedback since weeks, complaining about the obligation to register an account and the login - but instead of caring about thousands of complaints and UNDO the forced account (it should be optional at least, if not completely removed), GoPro releases a new version of the app with even MORE login-stuff (Facebook login added). Nobody in Germany (and probably most other European countries) wants this, we want to keep using the app WITHOUT the need for any account.

Hiker

I just received my h5 the other day and have the same question regarding 1080p@60fps with photos.

Glad I came across this post and agree with his sentiments regarding acknowledgements and data harvesting.

@galaxyranger wrote:

@jefft- I did send this and other things through the feedback-form as well already, but never know if it really reaches someone, course there's neither a confirmation-mail, nor have I ever received a reply. Maybe because I started my first contact with the topic you also didn't reply to yet, the firmware-update that removed the 3rd party battery-support that everybody is extremly angry about ;) GoPro definitely needs to better listen to customer-feedback (at the moment GoPro works AGAINST them!), not only because of the battery-thing, also regarding the capture app for example. On the German Google PlayStore people only leave 1-star feedback since weeks, complaining about the obligation to register an account and the login - but instead of caring about thousands of complaints and UNDO the forced account (it should be optional at least, if not completely removed), GoPro releases a new version of the app with even MORE login-stuff (Facebook login added). Nobody in Germany (and probably most other European countries) wants this, we want to keep using the app WITHOUT the need for any account.

Backpacker

Hiker

@chrisediting wrote:

@helix88xcw, & @galaxyranger.

Make sure to check this page out also:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Firmware-Concepts-And/gp-p/GoProFirmwareConceptsAndIdeas

Thanks for that but I'm new to this and perhaps missing how those posts relate, one is about using lower resolutions and the other about night shots.

I'm pretty sure that my friends use video w/photo 1080p 60fps, that mode on the h5 has the 60fps greyed out.

Adventurer

[ Edited ]

@jefft wrote:

Thanks,

Jeff

@jefft   Gopro request given their answer.  Many people Lol   many people do not use turn signals, lets take them away?  would you like to see turn signals and brake lights go away????

NO so many more people want to see the Dual recording and will get this next firmwre?  Right?

Tourist

I use my Hero3 mainly on my drone for video and on my motorcycle for pictures wile driving (using the remote). I am considering buying the Hero5 and was hoping to add GPS tagging and the ability to use it as a 1080p dash cam AND a 12MP camera at the same time.

How close can I get to doing this with the Hero5 ?  I don't care if there is an interruption in the video stream while I am taking a picture 

Or should I stick with my Hero3 and use it as the dashcam and/or use one of my cars' dashcams https://www.blackvue.com  (if I find a way to tropicalise it) ?

Thank you

GOPR4767.jpg