Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Video File Naming - Why has it not yet been changed?

OK I cannot seem to reply to a number of other threads on the same subject so here it is again...  and it does seem to have been a request by a number of people that goes ignored by GoPro?  

I'm new to the world of GoPro but not to the world of video, software and software development so I'm having a hard time understating how the GoPro naming convention makes any sense:

GOPR1234.mp4 (first video)
GP011234.mp4 (1st chapter of the original video)
GP021234.mp4 (2nd chapter of the same video)

This is like using MMDDYYYY  vs  YYYYMMDD...

Why is it not like this so they end up all together:

GP123401.mp4 (first video)
GP123402.mp4 (1st chapter of the original video)
GP123403.mp4 (2nd chapter of the same video)

Thus my first video would be: GP000101,  GP000102, GP000103...

My second one would be:  GP000201,  GP000202, GP000203...

I am now forced to rename all my files.  I started editing and panicked thinking I lost huge segments as typically bring my videos in as they are shown in my software in file name order.

PLEASE either change this to something as I have suggested or let us choose the format for the file naming…

Great camera by the way.  Hope to have many hours of fun using it….

Tourist

Re: Video File Naming - Why has it not yet been changed?

Thanks to rich007! It's exactly what I am looking for. The given names makes no sense at all and creates a lot of unnecessary work.
Please, GoPro developers follow the suggesten of rich007!
J
Highlighted
Adventurer

We were all used to FILE_0001, File_0002

think the first  of the gopros did that.   And you hink it's only GoPro its other companies as well.   simply highlightall and place your own name, but still will not help the chaptering out at all it's gopro it's tehir house . offer your feedback to gopro at the very bottom of the desktop  site and get others to enlist if not it will just be another post millions of cameras out there a few people  wan tthis change  tbh its not enough to  even get tehir attention??

Tourist

To improvment something the vendor need to realize the desier and the intension to make users happy. Some user have higher demands than other. It seems we are made of different wood. Anyhow, to rename files to be sure the sort order is correct ist waste of time - nothing else.

Adventurer

As long as you do not over shoot to the next chapter . then your renaming will be fine Lol

Tourist

Well Hero 6 is out...  Boy do I want that camera now... Can't wait till they offer a trade in discount, if ever...

Anyway, anyone have one?  Did they change the Video File naming format on it?? 

I'm hoping, but betting not.

Someone mentioned I should post this somewhere else as they seem not to read these posts.  Willing to do so, do you have a link?  Have to get back to work...

Oh yea, still having to spend time finding and renaming all my files before I can actually use them in "my" desired video editor...

Adventurer

Lol  good luck  you got that right

Explorer

I don't think you will see a trade in program like we did for the Hero5 cameras. That trade in program was to provide an incentive for people to sign up for GoPro Plus and for the utilization of Quik Story.

The Hero6 is a pretty awesome camera and I like it much better than my Hero5 and other GoPro cameras. Perhaps you will be able to get a bundle deal or a slight discount if you hold out 'til the Holiday season. I don't think it will be much, if anything, though.

As far as naming convention, naw, just as confusing if not more so, as it's always been. With the new codecs you have even more variation in the names.