Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Very disappointed in Gopro

[ Edited ]

For the smartphone resply: it heats up when you  use the  data  surfing that was what I said not charging. if you want to know ht charging temps they are about 105 degrees. the phone is diffrent from the camera  in ways but agree it stays a lot cooler only and only when not  using the cell  services phone calls stay cool but surfing generates HEATR especially playing games.

Thank you.  As @danielr15  answered.  Seems you are a full Mobile Person,  you  have friends, co-workers, a library or still live in a area that is old fashion?  you know wherre I am going at.  get to some one.  Hey DAn could you do me a favour and lend me some sugar.  or you are like me I don't talk to my Neighbors .

Smartphone  sd card formats are found online:

Steps
  1. Insert your SD card. The process is a bit different on each device. ...
  2. Power on your Android device. ...
  3. Open your Android's Settings. ...
  4. Scroll down and tap Storage.
  5. Scroll down to your SD card. ...
  6. Tap Format SD Card or Erase SD Card. ...
  7. Tap Format SD Card or Erase SD Card to confirm.

rather get into great detail, it is You the User that needs to  find a resolution  to your issue then have us do the work for you, we are here to help, but  somethings we all do not know.

You are going back to the Store, you  can ask the Geek squad or technician there to assist you, that is their Job.  No I am not being rude or harsh just trying to help out.

if the card  has been corrected and you still have the issue then by all means let us know what you went with?

Highlighted
Tourist

Ok, i will try that too, after I exchange it for the 5th time! Thanks
Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Question:

Will the store keep allowing you  to return until the return policy expire? you said you did this weeks that means it may be past the 14-day return policy we have ( i do not know your return policy) if they will refund you, that is the Route I go, and   take a rest, gather your thoughts. and then decide  if a  re-purchase is needed.  I am not here to tell  you want to do, or direct you to another camera?

I will offer you my personal advice,   How much is the Hero white?  as much as a DJI Osmo Action? that would be what I go for, no issues with mine at the moment not one. and no complaints at all but a few that if I go to the manual setting, I can not see one icon due to the bright light, Icon is gray wher th other is white  just me.

I gather my thoughts get the best bang for the Buck.   the DJI OA records while charging, the battery is removable, the lens protector removable.   has just about the same bells and whistles even more depending on how you look at it compared to the white.

If I were to  go with GoPro the White is equilivant to the Hero 5 Black today and the Black would offer more. then the white.  

I understand   that we are first time users and the white  " is the basic" camera for   fresh starters, love it, the next model  you get is the Black.  Was price , a budget why you went for the white? @alertcave0571 

correcting Grammar

Highlighted
Tourist

While i appreciate you trying to help, I don't appreciate being spoken to like a child. You are being rude and you know it, otherwise you would not have inserted "I'm not being rude or harsh". I don't have an sd card slot in my phone since my phone doesn't support sd cards. I do work in tech support myself so I am well aware of what research I have to do and what help I need. I have just never ever had any problems with any sd cards affecting any of my previous devices. So, yes a month later after I could do what I could do, I finally came on asked for help.
Highlighted
Explorer

When you insert a SD card into the camera, it becomes an intricate part of the camera. The camera in really no different than a small computer except that it also has a sensor to record images. Just like with a computer, if there is an issue with the storage drive, you are going to have issues. In fact, most computer issues can also be traced back to the hard drive.

Your camera is going to get hot. It shouldn't get so hot that it shuts down after 15 minutes, but it's going to get hot.

There is a lot going on inside that small waterproof case and there isn't a whole lot of ways for the heat to escape. The processor, sensor, RAM, and probably the GPS chip as well, all produce scalding hot heat. Of course there are heat sinks and shielding (in your phone as well) so you don't always sense this, but if you were to touch these parts directly they would burn you instantly. Phones, even the waterproof models, have an advantage in that they are long and flat and have a large sheet of glass to help dissipate the heat.

If there is an issue with the storage drive (microSD card in the case of the GoPro camera) then it's going to cause issues with the camera. One of the functions the processor is continuously doing is scanning the SD card for available sectors to write to. If there are issues with any one or more sectors, the processor is going to be doing extra check sum calculations and will get considerably hotter and will suffer performance wise.

A cheap SD card that many people, myself included, have been using is the Samsung Select (also referred to as EVO Plus). These cards are cheap (BTW you don't need anything over 64GB so don't waste money on a 128GB) and tend to work very well and the cameras seem to run cooler with them. SanDisk really seem to be hit and miss. I've personally given up on SanDisk after the 9 years now of issues I've had with them. I've been foolish enough to keep going back every time they update their cards, but no more. I have a few that work great, but I've also got a drawer of identical model cards that are just crap.
Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Sorry if you felt that way, that said.  My apologese but you are  with the issue and we are here to help decide what will be your Option and go with it, yougot some good info, report back  let others know  what you did.

good luck , enjoy your trip, one peace piece of advice do not use a new camera thesame day on vacation,  that said  happy filming

Fish

hope he doesn't use a sandisk ultra  that is the worst card on the market for the camera.

Highlighted
Explorer

@alertcave0571 @fishycomics 

I really don't think there was any ill intent, but I can fully understand why there could be a feeling of being talked down to.  I hope you understand, neither Fish nor myself, have any intention of adding to your frustration.  Fish is East Coast, I'm West Coast, and everyone interprets us a little different.  Some like Fish's writing style and way of communication, some prefer mine.  In either case, we truly do just want to help and hope you get your issue resolved.  Neither of us have a dog in this race as we do not work for, or represent GoPro.  Just a couple of guys who have had a lot of experience with GoPro cameras (good and bad) and like helping people get the most from their cameras.

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, the store has been letting me exchange it 4 times because I have to go back in once a week to exchange it so it gets a new exchange policy. The Hero white 7 is 179. The Hero 7 silver is $30 more. I am on a bit of a budget and that's why I went for the white. I figured though whether it's the lower end camera or not, it should still work properly. Otherwise why put out junk for the public to spend their hard earned money on junk when they can get junk for free!?!
I will take a look into the Dji Cosmo action camera. Thanks for the tip!