Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Vertical line - darker half video - Gopro Hero 9 Black

[ New ]
Hi,
I'm sorry but I don't have this information, I just know that the team is working on it and I trust that we're doing our best to ship the fix as fast as possible. I don't have dates information.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all, unfortunately I got the same issue as everybody else, and most of my footage from the last weekend is totally ruined.

About what I read here, I don't think there is any solution to avoid the issue with firmware 1.50 : it was suggested to change the max iso setting, fps, field of view, pal vs ntsc, etc ... 

Some people have shared their results on some tests, I can only add mine : I initially saw the issue on both superview 100 fps and 4K linear 50 fps. Then I tried to switch to ntsc (60 fps) as suggested by someone, and still reproduced the issue.

I'll get the 1.22 and manually downgrade to this version until we can have a new (safe) firmware.

In the meantime, I hope gopro will work on a tool to fix our footage. Since the vertical separation is not fixed but moves around (most likely along with the stabilization frame) it's pretty much impossible to fix when editing the video, so our only hope to salvage footage is if gopro provides such a tool to automatically process it by removing the shading and I think it's something they MUST do, they owe that to us.

I'll contact support to express my concerns and request such a tool, I think it would be good if all impacted people can do the same to increase our chances to get it someday....

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all.

So after installing fw 1.22 (as suggested in various related threads), I gave it anoter try today with various settings (1080p50 Superview, 4K25 Linear+, 1080p200 Linear+) : no issues anymore, so it really looks like it's directly related to fw 1.50.

However, when I reached out to customer service to report the issue on my camera (along with other issues such as "freezes", or "camera powering off automatically with 20% battery left and a "low battery" message") I was told that this issue is not related to fw 1.50, but with an 'internal' problem, unrelated to firmware.

Obviously I find it very hard to believe given the tests results I and others got + updates given by some people coming from gopro teams, so I argued with the guy on the phone about it, but after some wait, discussing with his team, he insisted that it's the motherboard, and that the issue must have been there the whole time, just not triggered until after using the camera for some time (which is also unlikely since I wasn't able to reproduce anymore after downgrading to 1.22)

Anyway, he told me to return my gopro for an exchange, so I'm sending it tomorrow, and I'll run some tests when the new one comes in.

By this time, maybe a new firmware fixing the issue will also be available if as I expect, the new gopro has similar issues... Or maybe only some gopros have a faulty motherboard causing the 1.50 fw to act up like this.

Last but not least I asked him about a tool to fix our messed up footage, and he said nothing is ready but did not rule it out completely, so I'm not sure if they are actually working on such a tool. I'll definitely bring it up again whenever the firmware is fixed.

I don't know if other people have been asked to return their gopro for an exchange, and I surely don't count on this too much to fix the issue, but anyway, that's where I'm at, and felt this needed to be shared. To be continued...

Tourist

[ New ]

I would like to share a crazy thought I'm having about this issue with you all.

You think it might be possible the HERO9 doesn't really have a 24MP sensor but actually two regular 12MP sensors put side by side to create a single stichted image? The vertical line would appear when the lighting on both sensors would not match up (like it does in Fusion and Max sometimes).

To me, this would explain a variety of other characteristics of the Hero 9, like the fact that it's bigger, needs a bigger battery, gets too hot (because it needs internal stitching) and god knows what other issues.

Btw, if this is what was needed to boost the camera quality to a whole new level I can only apploud that. Unfortunately, I guess we all know by now it didn't quite turn out that way.

Nomad

[ New ]

@seriousaction it is possible but how you explain the horizontal line of this person? : https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Брак-горизонтальные-линии/m-p/931811#M188531

I tried to help him explaining the thing about installing an older firmware so maybe he could clarify me if it's something hardware related but I think he just got a replacement.

With the next update we shall see.

Nomad

[ New ]

Guys watch out I just replaced my GoPro 9 and the 1.5 vertical lines in slowmotion it's gone, also had a problem with sound popping and now is good (how it should be), 

The first thing I did was charge the battery then a manual 1.5 Update install and everything good.

Nomad

[ New ]

Sorry guys, I was just reviewing slowmo samples and the vertical line just came back, my audio popping is fixed but vertical lines persist. I don't think it's a hardware problem, it should be fixed by the next update.

GoPro

[ New ]
@isaakonfire
Indeed the team is working on a firmware fix for the next update.