Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Vertical line - darker half video - Gopro Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

I did few test and its work for me. I am surprised it is not working for everyone .

Nomad

[ New ]

@nimbleoasi67547  It's very very subtile, remember that in 200fps is the mode that it is worse, in 240 sometimes didn't appear until past minute 1.

Also in difference from the 1.5 version that made the darker half in the left side, ver. 1.52 makes it on the right.

Look at the image below, can you see it? It's very subtile right? It's still there

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 18.53.56.png
Tourist

[ New ]
Suptile or not, this is not some cheap AliExpress camera.
I think it is a complete no-go for a high end GoPro product.
You buy it for one thing and that is where the GoPro team is failing.
The only thing to make the "one thing" working properly is to make compromise to go back to fw1.22 and not have a working remote and an terrible touchscreen response enz enz enz
GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate your feedback. Good to know that some of you are not seeing the vertical line issue anymore. Our team is still working on getting it fixed completely. The latest update on firmware should show some improvement. We will post back once we have new information. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya I received last week a replacement for my gopro 9 as customer service insisted it was a motherboard issue even though everybody else (including admins here) said it was a firmware issue.

I was thinking that maybe they know more than we do, and the issue actually appears only with fw 1.50 on some gopros with faulty motherboard, but no... I can now confirm that the issue is still there for me as well with fw 1.52 on the replacement camera.

It is indeed less visible than before, and the darker half is now on the right side, but it's definitely not fixed.

I find it very disturbing that the gopro team is unable to fix what they broke in the previous firmware, when it's crystal clear that it was a regression, and it looks like they are trying to work around it instead by darkenning the right side now to make it match the left side ??I'm a software developper & project leader myself, so I don't really understand why they can't just revert the changes they made in 1.50 and get rid of the issue, instead of paching it with more uncontrolled fixes... That's really strange.

Anyway I'm attaching a screenshot for reference, but it's much harder to see it on a still image than with the video where the separation is moving (along with stabilization) and you just can't miss it when you have a clear background such as a blue sky or white snow.

I have a 3 seconds - 23 MB clip in case it is useful.

Gopro9 fw 1.52 Split Screen.png

Now I guess I'll just downgrade my camera to 1.22 and hope I don't have other issues such as audio popping, until they finally fix it.

Or request a refund and go with the osmo instead. That's how hopeless I feel... 

Tourist

[ New ]

@sebchang "I find it very disturbing that the gopro team is unable to fix what they broke in the previous firmware, when it's crystal clear that it was a regression, and it looks like they are trying to work around it instead by darkenning the right side now to make it match the left side ??I'm a software developper & project leader myself, so I don't really understand why they can't just revert the changes they made in 1.50 and get rid of the issue, instead of paching it with more uncontrolled fixes... That's really strange."

That's exactly wat I was thinking.

Regarding your screenshot: better, though totally unacceptable as 'solution'

Nomad

[ New ]

ye, they dont put alot of effort anymore in their products. You hear also nothing from Nick Woodman anymore. They need to kick him and get a new CEO, which are the shareholders asking for years now.

We costumers are only getting affected by internal fights and getting bad products. Its not the GoPro from 2006 anymore. After 2015 it went downwards.

A good company starts with transparant communication, and i can smell the people at GoPro's support-desk telling everyone something different or do not communicate at all. Fix the internal affairs, boot Woodman, and get a fresh new team.

Didnt Sony gave Woodman a nice offer a while ago?

Nomad

[ New ]

@GoPro can you please fix this problem that's been going for 3 moths?! I want to buy your accessories but because you aren't fixing this glitch I'll be forced to return the camera and get my money back as is now, according to trading laws, a faulty product.

Hiker

[ New ]

@GoPro @mariustanya so where are we on this issue ?

Are the dev teams still working on a proper fix (not just a partial improvement as in 1.52) ?

When my camera was replaced, I did try 1.52 and shared the result a few posts higher. Right after that I downgraded to 1.22 which hasn't reproduced the isse, but I have other problems which were fixed in 1.50 (e.g. videos bigger than 4 GB are not perfectly split, there's a couple drop frames when you put them back together, and some people said they needed other stuff that were introduced in 1.50)

So when can we expect another firmware to finally fix the 1.50 issue and bring back other improvements as well ?

And what about providing a tool to fix our footage shot with 1.50 or 1.52 ? Is there anything going on about that ?

Please provide some feedback.

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

You have high hopes from a dog **bleep** company my friend....

These issues are almost 5 months old. None of them fixed with any update. Good luck.

I sent my gopro back and bought a DJI instead. Not as many features, but at least the --bleep-- thing works properly.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

The team is working on another firmware update, don't have an ETA though.
Hiker

[ New ]
The same garbage response we've been told since December. Shocker.
Tourist

[ New ]

Did not have the issue until now. Some days ago I did some 120fps 2.7K scenes and all of them have a strong vertical line.
Yesterday I also did some 240fps 1080 scenes and of some of them the vertical line is visible and at others not.
I do a lot of 240fps 1080 scenes and till now I did not notice the vertical line there (but I have to check my archives and also if I did some 120fps 2.7K scenes in the past)
For techical information: I have FW 1.52 since it was released (but not for the vertical line issue because this is new for me) I had a serious power on problem which got a little bit better. I normally use "standard" bitrate all of the different scenes adn framerates. I also have GoPro Labs software installed.
What I discovered today is more then annoying: The camera did reset by itself from yesterday to today all my video settings including custom settings.
Dear GoPro supportwhat is going on with the hero9 ??????

Hiker

[ New ]

Sicuro che il firmware LAB sia 1.52 ?

Tourist

[ New ]

You are right - it is only 1.50.72
Did not realize that Labs is setting the firmware back

I did not have the vertical issue before the last 7 days...
I was updating to 1.52 soon after the release in february
About three weeks late I did put Gopro labs on it. (I need the QR for changing settings underwater)
So I was working with this at least from beginning april on without the issue.
Doing about 700 scenes with different settings in this period
Dont know which change of the settings could trigger this behavior - I changed orientation settings which I never touched before
Also noticed just now that a timelapse from yesterday stopped by itself after running for 5 minutes already - this are really wired things going on
I will factory reset the camera and then check again...

Nomad

[ New ]

I'm happy to say I've been doing 200fps (that's the mode that gave me the glitch) for the last weeks and having no trouble with line/darker half of the video anymore, maybe this new 1.6 firmware actually works?

What are your experiences? Problem solved or not?

GoPro

[ New ]
Indeed, HERO9 Firmware update 1.6 has fully solved all vertical lines issue.

Best,
Nomad

[ New ]

The vertical line issue is gone, and other issues too.

Nomad

[ New ]

I never had any audio popping issues and I never had any trouble with the touch screen, and it still works as it always did for me, maybe a little bit better, but it was fine already anyways. Haven't had any lockups or lost footage since updating to Labs 1.60.70, and the hacks are pretty great too!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi GoPro Team,

I bought the camera , Hero 9, a couple of days ago...

The firmware is 1.6 at my camera.

The vertical line exists .... 

Any advice ?

Nomad

[ New ]

Hi @fayyerwayyer , I'm the author of the post, sorry to hear that, It happened exactly the same only 7 months ago, if you didn't read the older messages seems to be firmware related, there's still some links to versions before 1.5 that don't do any darker half split if you want to download ( GoPro doesn't give older versions ).

Please could you share a video or snapshot of the split line ?

BTW formatting the sd card with a computer helps with some glitchy behaviours of the GoPro, I'd recomend you to eliminate that off the equation

Tourist

[ New ]
Return the camera and get your money back before it’s too late.
Tourist

[ New ]
Return the camera and get your money back!
Tourist

[ New ]

))) obvious move)

That's my first gopro ... planned another scenario )

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, thank you for your answer, appreciate your attention...

I followed your advice and rolledback the firmware to 1.22

The vertical line has gone...

I am not in the mood to return the camera ... honestly ...

By the way it seems I saw here somewhere that somebody replaced the camera at the store or ordered another one and the bug repeated ...

So do I understand it in the right way - it is not hardware.... the only thing is that why the other many users did not experience the same problem ?

And have you tried 1.6 firmware ? Has it fixed anything ? Because I got the camera and upgraded to 1.6 frist thing when I bought and got the vertical line...

I shoot everyhting in 2k 50fps

split screen problem.JPG
Tourist

[ New ]

another spoiled video before the rollback to 1.22

split screen problem 2.JPG
Nomad

[ New ]

thanks @fayyerwayyer for sharing it, I will change the "solved" message to the one that points out the firmware 1.2 solution; it's missleading but saves anyone to go running for replacement to find out the same is happening to all: "SlowMo Guys" youtuber made a paid promotion video of GPH9 camera few months back and all the slowmo video was split, "Mark Robber" youtuber days ago uploaded a video with split line; this guys have millions of subscribers it's kind of a proof that probably all caemras have it.

On other hand, I must advise I did finally replace my first camera for popping sounds glitches in the audio, and the replaced camera was good, so not to discourage replacements because with the amount of glitches people are reporting it's a must customer right to do.

I will test your video configurations with my camera, and other modes too, don't know when I will but if something is going on I surely update the results here.

Hiker

[ New ]

@fayyerwayyer that's a bummer.

From the previous feedback we got here I was hoping the split line issue was finally fixed with 1.60, so I updated my camera in order to take advantage of not having any important stuff to shoot right now and do some testing with this firmware, but I haven't had the opportunity yet, will definitely to do it ASAP given your experience.

Just 1 thing though, did you update from the app, or manually from an sd card ? I've read so many times that the manual update is more reliable and that sometimes updating from the app can go wrong (even if it seems ok and no error is reported). I'm not sure why or if it's true, and if it is, that's yet another very disappointing issue, but maybe it's worth trying to update your camera back to 1.6 manually if you didn't do that previously, and try to reproduce the issue in similar conditions/settings ? I mean, if you can afford to run some tests on useless footage obviously.

GoPro

[ New ]
@fayyerwayyer
Sorry about that, users have reported that 1.6 fixed this issue and this is also what we've observed in our testing.
Could you please:
factory reset your camera + do a manual update of Firmware 1.6
Here about manual update > https://gopro.com/en/gb/update/hero9-black?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxdSHBhCdARIsAG6zhlVSPtONIR3MHI...

Let us know how it goes
Nomad

[ New ]

Good news @fayyerwayyer : the split line It's solved (at least with the resolutions I use, see tests below) with the last Labs firmware, I had it already installed so that's why I couldn't see any split line. I've uploaded two tests with the Labs FW installed without any split line:

- 2.7k 100fps https://youtu.be/Yfk8oadfc1Q

- 1080p 200fps https://youtu.be/HTjGCmkTe5E

Hope it helps, please let me know how it goes, everyone's feedback is appreciated

Bad news @haindash : I followed your instructions ( reset + manual update (by that order) and the split line appeared when I tested 2.7k - 100fps in the 1.6 FW, on other hand 200fps - 1080p that since FW 1.5 was making the split line now in 1.6 is gone.

Side note, apart from the split line, over 7 months that I bought GoPro Hero 9 I've been having a large list of other glitches that comes and goes, no matter how resets formats etc I do doesn't pass a day that the camera acts faulty one way or another.

Hiker

[ New ]

@isaakonfire so you're saying 1.6 still has issues, but labs firmware based on 1.6 doesn't ?

That would be weird... I guess you will run the labs 1.6 from now on, please let us know if you reproduce with 2.7k 100 fps, as maybe you just got lucky and didn't see it yet ?

I'm sooooo tired of this....

Nomad

[ New ]

@sebchang wrote:

@isaakonfire so you're saying 1.6 still has issues, but labs firmware based on 1.6 doesn't ?

That would be weird... I guess you will run the labs 1.6 from now on, please let us know if you reproduce with 2.7k 100 fps, as maybe you just got lucky and didn't see it yet ?

I'm sooooo tired of this....

So happen that I was testing specially slowmotion ( 2.7k-100fps and 1080p-200fps) for a new product that I'm developing before 1.6 was even released: https://youtu.be/I5Of35wvc-A Didn't see any split line back then and with the new 1.6 immediately installed the Labs version, so it's been like what, a month? Haven't had any split line.

All resolutions/ frames x second that I use (and test) that don't have problems:

5k-25 Linear lens

4k-24 Superview

4k-50 Superview

4:3 mode in 4K-25 Wide

4:3 mode in 2.7K-50 Wide

2.7K-100 Wide

1080-200 Wide

1st iteration of Filter Adapter for GoPro, fully functional, hope next iteration be ready for order🔥Music: The Good Lawz - Run In The Night