Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Vertical line - darker half video - Gopro Hero 9 Black

[ New ]
I hate to say this but somebody in their organization had one job to do and apparently they were doing something else
Tourist

[ New ]

I don't think the GoPro team is on the right track by thinking it generally occurs when shooting at 1080/240FPS

It occurs by many more settings!!

Maybe for a lot of people this is a nice gizmo cam, but for me it was a serious amount of money to spend.

Please can you give an estimated time for an usable update? 
I can't find the old 1.22 firmware, it is also not on your website as an solution and I don't like to download it from an not known site.

Hope to hear from u and to see a solution in the near future 

Hiker

[ New ]
I can assure you the one I have hosted on my Google Drive account is safe and working. I found it from another user, scanned it with malware bytes and Bitdefender and installed it to my camera and it's been working solid for several 4 to 5 hour stationary recording sessions.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1Lf2FL-Pib1NdAQ5dyAPO-09zztkkC38B
Hiker

[ New ]

And here are the instructions to install it.

Steps to rollback are the same as manually updating to a new firmware. You need to get access to a PC for this.

1. Remove the SD card from your camera, and insert it into your pc through some sort of micro SD card reader.

2. Using the Google Drive link above, download the 3 files to your computer. Create a new folder and name it "Update" (without the quotations).

3. Copy this new "Update" folder from your PC's hard drive to your GoPro's SD card in the main root directory. In other words, just open the SD card folder, and drag and drop the 'Update' folder to it.
4. Make sure YOUR CAMERA IS TURNED OFF, and insert the SD card back into the SD card slot on the camera.
5. Power on the camera, the update should start automatically.
6. When the update completes, the camera will reboot, and you will be back to firmware 1.22 and the verticle line issue should no longer be a problem.

A couple of things to think about with this... the latest firmware version is 1.5 and it added support for the following. Directly from the GoPro 9 firmware page:

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

• Provides support for The Remote
  • Provides support for the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter
  • Improves HyperSmooth performance at cold temperatures
  • Offers faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app
  • Improves GPS lock and accuracy
  • Provides support for Live Streaming with the Max Lens Mod

USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

• Improvements to Scheduled Capture
  • General bug fixes and user interface improvements

By rolling back to version 1.22 you will lose the updates listed above. To me, this was not an issue. I would rather my video look correct then worry about the remote or Pro 3.5 adaptor, which I don't even have.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you rockwood I give it a try 

Stil find it strange GoPro is not providing it anymore as an solution 

I also don't give a sh.. about an new remote or something 

i just want a working cam.

thanks again, appreciate it a lot 

Hiker

[ New ]

No problem man. And I know exactly what you mean. I have subscribed to or replied back to over 10 other forum posts about this issue, offering the old firmware files. Every single one of them gets a candid response from GoPro reps saying the same thing. 'We are aware of the issue, and we're working on a frimware update to fix it."

Now, I get it, these software and firmware updates take time. And I am sure the plandemic ordeal isn't helping things, but this isn't some minor defect or a simple annoyance. This is a MAJOR FUCNTION OF WHY THE PRODUCT EXISTS - RECORDING VIDEO! And the amounf ot comaplints I have seena bout it, you would think this would be a top priroty to get fixed. Unfortunatly, I have seen these candid responses from GoPro reps as far back as December 22nd, with no word of an official update release date. Just the same old 'we are aware of the issue, we are working on a fix".

I have never owned a GoPro before. I was aware of them, as friends have had them. Heard a lot of good things, almost no bad. So I jumped right into buying a Hero 9, a bunch of accessories, and a $90 hardshell SKB case for it. THe 1.22 firmware has fixed my issues thus far, so I can't say it all was a total waste, but holy hell... I had to play around with the camera for 3 days before it was usable, and the only way it was usable was by accidently stumbling on to someone who was kind enough to share the old firmware since GoPro won't re-release it.

At this juncture, I will download and keep in my offlibe files a copy of each firmware just in case. THis is my first GoPro, and based on the nightmare of customer service issues I have seen through out this forum, it will be my last. Hopefully someone like DJI will came out with a strong competitor and it won't be an issue down the line.

Sightseer

[ New ]

It is horrible for me - I have 3,5mm reduction with SmallRig. And well I have to stick with MediaMod which is totally not practical - each time you want to change battery or work with MicroSD card you have to remove camera from MediaMod - this is so emberassing. 

And fix for video on video camera? This should be priority

1st GoPro said - on the end of January 2021 (nothing happend)

what goes next? 

Tourist

[ New ]

bonjour,

j'ai moi aussi l'apparition de ce trait vertical mais plutôt en contre jour. Ca fait pas des clichés sérieux!! j'attends encore un mois que Gopro travaille dessus pour résoudre le problème et après je ferais de la publicité pour les marques concurentes sur mes réseaux sociaux!!: dji, insta..