Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Vertical line - darker half video - Gopro Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

Just purchased a Hero 9 updated to 1.5 and there's visible dark line in the middle of the video when recording with 200 fps in linear mode without stabilization. In fact it's half of the video that's darker making a clean cut in the middle with the other brighter half. [ attach image ]

This only happens in this slowmotion configuration I think.

Also, I'm using an eventual microSD card from my smartphone, 16GB Lexar 300x nº10 microSD HC I, don't know if may cause any issues. [ attach file ]

If I go back to the shop they'll just give me another GoPro and I'm afraid the problem persists.

I've seen other people having the exact same issue. This needs to be clarified by GoPro: is it the firmware? A faulty camera? The wrong microSD?

Otherwise could be understood that these cameras are just faulty and leave no other option but to claim back the money.

Thank you.

GX010067_175408195.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Vertical line - darker half video - Gopro Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

Hello @nicopasky @marcd85365 @fireyspiri054 @charleyfoto @ncs313 @sinay4pegs @matt-d @grandbluff50661 FINALLY IT'S BEEN SOLVED!

Good news: a person shared me the firmware version 1.22 and I tried it to ensure it's not my camera that's faulty, and it worked, it's a firmware update issue. The lesson of the story is to do manual updates installation in the microSD card and store each update like the generous person that gave me the 1.22

Link to the webpage where he posted the update file: https://www.goproforums.com/threads/lets-note-all-the-gopro-hero-9-black-bugs-and-issues-here.85058/...

If any problem I can always share the file myself.

Obvious bad news: GoPro have still to fix this firmware problem! 

Take care!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

The microSD card

Image002.jpg
Tourist

Rif.: Vertical line - darker half video - Gopro Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

Capita anche a me, spero si risolva, altrimenti quaesta macchina è inutlizzabile!

Nomad

[ New ]

Hello @nicopasky , for curiosity, what SD card are you using? Is it new? Is the SD card in the recommended specs of GoPro ( https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308 ) ?

Only asking because I suspect my SDcard was already causing malfunctions in my smartphone. And SDcard seems to be indispensable in the updating process which this glitch is related to version 1.5 .

Hope we all get solutions and answers soon enough! 

Tourist

[ New ]
Hello, my sd card is sandisk extreme 64 gb A2
Hiker

[ New ]

Bonjour, j'ai le même problème, les images ne sont pas exploitables...

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the same issue. And the line shifts left and right as the camera tilts. I'm actually really annoyed with this. It's my first go pro and I feel like I have a dud here.
Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks @nicopasky , that sd card seems pretty legit !

Nomad

[ New ]

Hello people of this thread @nicopasky @marcd85365 @fireyspiri054 , recently GoPro gave a provisional answer to this problem in another thread ( https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Don-t-update-GoPro-9-Weird-issues-Vertical-line/td-p/890152/p... ) :

"Thanks for the details and apologies for the inconvenience this may be causing you. We'll have this forwarded to the team in charge. We'll keep everyone posted as soon as new information is available."

The author of that post explains that this problem is a firmware update problem that doesn't happened before that.

I can't confirm that because by the time I've updated it to 1.5 I had not yet tested the video configuration of 200 fps that is glitchy, so I can't really know for sure if it's a faulty camera model or a faulty firmware update. Believing what that user said, it's only a matter of time until they release another update to fix this.

But meanwhile GoPro doesn't give a diagnostic to clear doubts I only have one week to return the GoPro to get my money back.

It's Christmas and a lot of people like me is getting a new Hero 9 glitchy! GoPro please hurry and make a step forward on this!

Nomad

[ New ]

Today I bought a legit micro SDcard, followed the recommendations that GoPro gave in another post about this problem and reinstalled manually in my computer the 1.5 version update and didn't change nor solve the problem.

Tourist

[ New ]
Stessa identica cosa sulla mia, appena acquistata!! se avete novità vi prego scrivete!
Nomad

[ New ]

No problem @charleyfoto , you'll automatically receive mails of all the comments in a post you participated in, is good idea to participate in all of them about this problem so when GoPro answers you'll know immediately. 

There's a direct contact customer service but saw a customer complaining about that too, it's what it is...2020 can get any worse :_)

Personally I'll go to the shop to know about devolution information, until GoPro officially doesn't guarantee that this aren't faulty cameras I won't get too much attached to it.

Tourist

[ New ]

Bonjour a tous, je viens de constater aujourd'hui que j'ai le meme souci. J'ai aussi remarqué que cela se produit au dessus d'une certaine luminosité. Je viens de faire la derniere mise a jour, et j'ai vu dans les reglages que l'ISO max n'était pas a fond dans protune. Je testerais demain pour voir le resultat et reviens vers vous pour vous dire.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you, that sound good!
Tourist

[ New ]
Hey ! J’ai aussi ce soucis mais je pense que ça n’a rien a voir avec la luminosité c’est vraiment une question de fps, en attendant les news de go pro je filme en 60, 120 fps et j’ai aucun soucis, c’est seulement sur les 240 fps la luminosité n’y est pour rien dans cette histoire... c’est un problème firmware c’est sûr sinon ça apparaîtrait pour n’importe quel mode utilisé car ça viendrait de l’objectif. On finira par avoir une mise a jour... Faut se dire que des millions de go pro sont produites et que évidemment les mise a jour ne s’installent pas parfaitement partout sinon on aurait pas de forum lol, il faut attendre, si c’était matériel go pro l’aurait remarqué bien rapidement et aurait rappelé les caméras
Tourist

[ New ]

Same here, sounds to be a firmware issue. I use the SD card provided by GoPro with the package.

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 13.25.26.png
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello tout le monde, conclusion de mon message d'hier.

il semble que cela vienne du reglage de l'ISO max qui est par defaut reglé sur 1600 dans tous les modes...

mettez le sur 6400 et ça regle le probleme!! 

Tourist

[ New ]
Après plusieurs tests, la ligne apparait quand l'ISO max est sur 1600 et qu'on passe d'une zone sombre à une zone lumineuse.
Je n'ai plus ce souci quand je met l'ISO a 6400
Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing your experience @matt-d, I also recently bought the fastest micro SDcard recommended by GoPro and the problem is still there.

Tourist

[ New ]
Merci beaucoup du conseil ! Je vais essayer, mais avec un iso de 6400 la qualité n’est pas super non ?
Nomad

[ New ]

Hello @ncs313 , changing the max ISO to 6400 doesn't solve the problem in my camera (settings 1080p 200fps Linear No stabilization). Thanks for sharing anyway.

Tourist

[ New ]
Don’t worry guys we are a lot with the problem, gopro is going to update for sure (lol I think), to wait film with other settings
Tourist

[ New ]

Yep, please wait. I did a very quick test yesterday, and I changed from 50hz (PAL Europe) to 60hz (NTSC - US). It means, the max FPS now is 240. And it seems the issue disapeared. 

Could be a workaround till GoPro provides with a fix.

Tourist

[ New ]
I don’t understand anything lol I was with 60hz and I had the problem and now Im with 50hz and I don’t have it anymore. And you don’t have the problem with 60 hz lol
Nomad

[ New ]

I did change the Antiflicker Hz and it made a difference but after a while, from seconds to 1 minute, comes again (in Linear and Narrow). Noticed that lasts longer when EV. compensation is set to 0, ISO max. to 6400; anything I do to darken the automatic exposure makes the problem appear earlier. Even tried in manual mode and nothing.

Yes, it lasts seconds longer to appear, but its not solved at all.

For a brand new camera its totally unacceptable, when people reach for help here because we all want to keep the product, looked the forum, and is full of this in different problems!!

Everyone knows what is selling a faulty product and its consequences! 

Sightseer

[ New ]
È capitato molte volte anche a me....
Di solito quando registro in 1080 a 50 fps e con stabilizzatore impostato al minimo.
Nomad

[ New ]

Hello @nicopasky @marcd85365 @fireyspiri054 @charleyfoto @ncs313 @sinay4pegs @matt-d @grandbluff50661 FINALLY IT'S BEEN SOLVED!

Good news: a person shared me the firmware version 1.22 and I tried it to ensure it's not my camera that's faulty, and it worked, it's a firmware update issue. The lesson of the story is to do manual updates installation in the microSD card and store each update like the generous person that gave me the 1.22

Link to the webpage where he posted the update file: https://www.goproforums.com/threads/lets-note-all-the-gopro-hero-9-black-bugs-and-issues-here.85058/...

If any problem I can always share the file myself.

Obvious bad news: GoPro have still to fix this firmware problem! 

Take care!

Tourist

[ New ]

hi.

thank you for the link. 

i've the same problem, i'll try it tommorrow.

Tourist

[ New ]
A
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks Isaak. Is it a 1.21 or 1.22 you get ? Link is for 1.21

Tourist

[ New ]
Exactly, I see 1.21! And other problem, GoPro says that firmware downgrade is a practice not recommended that may damage the camera and void any warranties. So what to do?
Thank you
Nomad

[ New ]

@charleyfoto Well you don't tell no one I guess? :D It's 1.21? my mistake, it solved the problem for me, the installation was smooth, It's like formating an OS of computer and probably GoPro doesn't responsabilize because 1.2 already had other issues so...

Good new year.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@charleyfoto wrote:
Exactly, I see 1.21! And other problem, GoPro says that firmware downgrade is a practice not recommended that may damage the camera and void any warranties. So what to do?
Thank you

is a manual full firmware install... does not matter upgrade sau downgrade.

i would not make an issue. I made many times "downgrade" on hero7 to 9

just me,

robert

Nomad

[ New ]

Yes, it's version 1.21

_ISI7970.JPG
Tourist

[ New ]
Salut merci beaucoup ! Mais ensuite faut-il remettre la 1.5 ? Ou attendre une prochaine mise a jour ? Ou alors la remettre manuellement ?
Nomad

[ New ]

@sinay4pegs I'm not sure to understand your questions; manually installing 1.21 solves the vertical line problem of the 1.5, this means we don't have a faulty camera (hardware) but it's the firmware version 1.5 that is faulty and GoPro should fix it in the next firmware update (above 1.5).

What I've read from experienced users is that this types of problems are usual, so it's better to save this manual updates files whenever a new firmware gives problems, because who nows when GoPro will fix this if by now they don't, what was 1.5 suposedly an update to fix other problems.

Good new year. 

Hiker

[ New ]

This is 1.21, which still has other issues. Does anyone have 1.22 which corrects sluggish touch screen.

Tourist

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]

Thank you @laureh0 for sharing! I've installed earlier the 1.22 from another community user that also posted ( https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqFX9WjXhYYRmPRob92okPLnKqA1JQ?e=fnWFW2

)  tested and working good without vertical lines.

Tourist

[ New ]

thank's @isaakonfire 

i'll use your's.

i'm nit sure of mine, so if you've test your's......

Nomad

[ New ]

@laureh0  well I've tested the x8 slowmotion in linear, linear+HL,narrow and saw no vertical line. Apart from that I don't know, I'm new with GoPro, but apparently expierenced users now a bunch of problems present in almost.. all the versions?

Oh lord what I'm doing with a GoPro

Tourist

[ New ]
And superview ?
Nomad

[ New ]

@sinay4pegs Superview has always worked for me without the vertical line.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you very much, I'm worried because someone said that it was bad for the camera to take later updates... or even that it took away the guaranty that the camera would be up to date.
Nomad

[ New ]

@sinay4pegs Yeah, well that's something important to take in account, I just saw an old post where the affected user decided to rollback a firmware version and GoPro in two consecutive advices that was giving didn't even warn or disapprove because of the guaranty.

I've read it many times over this forum and others this "rolling back" method but no worries mentioned in that concern.

I guess I'm so used to "rollback" my computer to solve also its problems that I assume is more or less the same, like an operating system of a PC when formatted to scratch all the bugs go away.

Tourist

[ New ]
Okay nice !! Thank you ! Im gonna do that if there isn’t any problem. We juste have to wait the next update...
Tourist

[ New ]

How install it ? 

Nomad

[ New ]

@sinay4pegs you should read the GoPro instructions with pictures and all, it's easy to get lost if it's the first time, all it takes is to acces the instructions is to give your serial code of the camera:

Manual Update
Note: Useful for updating or reinstalling camera software. 

1. Go to the https://gopro.com/en/gt/update/hero9-black
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

PD: note, this is explained in the instructions, but in case maybe the folder to install it's called something else apart from "UPDATExxxx" I believe its important to correct it and edit the name of the folder to "UPDATE" for the camera to recognize the file.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes but if I install from go pro it's not 1.22 but 1.5, so I juste have to follow steps with the folder from your link et rename it "UPDATE"? my serial number isn't import if Im not downloading from go pro... 

Tourist

[ New ]
why the folder 1.22 is the same folder you can download on go pro for 1.5...