Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Vertical line - darker half video - Gopro Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

I was expecting to find videos on youtube but not so much.

This one is mentionning it but very low views. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vGJjOv1xeo

If only a youtuber with big audience reported it maybe it would help too.

When setting up multiple GoPro Hero 9 cameras to higher frame rates of 120 and 240 FPS so I could play video back in slow motion the video was ruined by a fl...
Nomad

[ New ]

Of course. Covid-19 has crippled everything and everyone in someway so I imagine this have to be some huge sh*t even for the gigantic balls that this company is showing.

Consumer rights, I'm not tired to writing it but the amount of devolutions must be gigantic as well, amazed of the absence of care about it, solutions not make up, and yeah this is affecting all of us so a collective organization for sure.

About the youtube...It's intoxicating the amount of marketing bullsh*t, with love guys ;), at the end is advertising extensions cos you know making a solid critique takes knowledge and therefore some communicative effort and most of all puts one in the target zone.

Tourist

[ New ]
This still if from video shot at 1080 60fps.
Tourist

[ New ]
1080 60fps gave my the problem above
Hiker

[ New ]

Anybody know which setting will cause vertical lines? I've been stuck on firmware v1.22 because I am scared of ruined footage. I am refusing to update to v1.5. This is sad.

Hiker

[ New ]
That's the issue. It harkens at random on different modes. It happened to me with 1080p @ 60fps ANDS 4k 60. And it happened randomly on those modes. I got told to manually install the 1.5 firmware top 'fix the issue. I thought it fixed it at first, because it was gone in my initial testing. Then when I went out and recorded an actual video, halfway through, it popped back you just as if someone flipped a switch.

Minor bugs are one thing, but this is effecting a MAJOR function of the camera. No excuse for this trash anymore.
Tourist

[ New ]

Everyday on Twitter GoPro account  I see the most beautiful footage from people using the GoPro 9

I ask myself, are they using the latest firmware??

I never read something like "don't use the 1.5 firmware there's a vault in it" or "because we fu..ed up u can download the 1.22 firmware to use your camera again from our site"

Nothing I hear or read from the "GoPro team" 

"We are working on it" yeh yeh for the last two months!

I downloaded the old firmware from an helpful forum user, shame on u "GoPro team"

And if the "GoPro team" is not coming soon with an solution I seriously thinking about money back and switching to the insta360 one R

Ofcourse every brand has it's flaws and I was more than happy with my GoPro 3 black but I am flabbergasted how the "GoPro team" turns its back on their customers.

For me it is an eye opener that the only goal is to grab as much money as they can (like many big companies)

This was (and maybe is)my last GoPro product.

again, sorry for my English (Dutch)

Hiker

[ New ]

There's no specific setting identified where the issue is reproducible or not, as far as I know.

FYI, I just learned today that a friend of mine, who's shooting a lot with gopros (and sometimes for them) has upgraded his cameras to 1.5 and did not have the issue yet. So either it's a combination of faulty hw + 1.5 fw, or there are indeed some specitic settings that trigger the issue, or it's just 100% random and he's just a lucky dude.

I just got a tracking number for my replacement (finally, after 3 weeks and 3 calls to customer service - great job guys...) so hopefully I'll get it next week and will do some tests (but I'll probably revert to 1.22 anyway regardless of the results)

Hiker

[ New ]

I have a question for everyone with VERTICAL LINES on V1.5

Where did you buy your camera? I am wondering if there's a "bad batch".

I bought from GoPro website - the Bundle promotion with the handler, 32gb, extra battery, clip, etc. It's clearly marked "from China" on the box.

I am wondering if these bundle deals is trying to get rid of defective cameras? Just wondering if it's hardware or firmware because some people do not have any problems.

Nomad

[ New ]

Ive ordered it also from the GoPro Site.

It was send from: Eindhoven Warehouse, Netherlands.

Nomad

[ New ]

1- I have the vertical line in other settings than 200 fps 1080, but never with the ones I normally use:

5K 24fps

4K 50fps and 4:3 4K 24fps

2,7K 50fps and 4:3 2,7K 50fps

2- I bought the camera in a normal shop

My opinion is that if there was already this habitual malfunctions with previous models, some experienced users seem to say that, with the Coronavirus affecting so bad the industry production it must be a disaster as it is apparent regardless of all the details and stuff.

Hiker

[ New ]

The Covid ordeal only goes so far in my opinion. I have had plenty of support from other companies on other products, some of those companies even smaller then GoPro. I also find it odd that I have been one of the more vocal about this verticle line issue, and when i tiy ti log into my account here to posts replies, most the time latley I can't log in. It either keeps taking me back to the log in page, or it won't load at all after I put in my user name and password.

I am greatful that the 1.22 firmware has my camera functioning properly. But this is till bullsh*t. Period. A main function of the camera is to record video, and it's not doing it correctly for a very large amount of people. And it's been almost 3 months since I saw the first candid reply from GoPro support saying "We're aware of the issue a fix will be coming SOON".

I don't know what "soon" is in thier world, but when I purchase a $400 to $500 product that doesn't work correctly because of the company's screw ups, the word 'soon' is a helluvalot less then 3 months.

Nomad

[ New ]

Agent answer

vline.png

Tourist

[ New ]
You just have to download 1.22 and wait ? All the quality of Hero 9 is here with 1.22. So if you can use the camera with it where is the problem ? The 1.5 had just some useless things. And there is a problem with it, it’s the last go pro so it’s logical a new firmware is coming. People here can’t wait and think the 9 is useless but on 1.22 IT’S THE SAME quality and settings. I don’t understand
Nomad

[ New ]

The problem is, i am using an external microphone with the mic adapter. The mic adapter only works with firmware 1.5. If i go back to 1.22 i cant use my external microphone anymore.

Hiker

[ New ]

"You just have to download 1.22 and wait ? All the quality of Hero 9 is here with 1.22. So if you can use the camera with it where is the problem ? The 1.5 had just some useless things. And there is a problem with it, it’s the last go pro so it’s logical a new firmware is coming. People here can’t wait and think the 9 is useless but on 1.22 IT’S THE SAME quality and settings. I don’t understand"

First off, quit defending a multi million dollar company. There are principals involved here that can not be ignored. Igonoring them is how companies like this get away with this sh*t to begin with.

Second, as stated by oxize, some people need the 1.5 firmware to use the accessories that they spent MORE money on to use properly. Without the 1.5 firmware WORKING LIKE IT SHOULD, those accessories they dumped MORE money into become worthless.

Third, this wouldn't be that much of a train wreck if GoPro was legitimately offering the 1.22 firmware version as an option to drop to, but they are not. Every single response I have seen from GoPro is "manually install 1.5 firmware, that should fix it" and when it doesn't they come back with "We are aware of the issue, and we are working on an update".

If it was not for another user offering the 1.22 firmware version on these forums, I would have never of gotten it for myself. I then added that firmware version to a public google drive link and shared it even more, because the other user's link was buried away in an older post. So I was replying to every single post I saw to help people drop down to 1.22 IF they where able to do it without killing the functions of their other accessories.

Do you understand now???

Nomad

[ New ]

I contacted a big Youtuber which uses Hero 9 also, but he never had issue.

2021-02-15 09_13_05-

Maybe we all got a bad batch?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem here, pretty annoying....

Any contents with that vertical line is useless, Is one of you were able to fix that issue?!

One more thing, man the touch screen is so badddddd! It's really terrible! Im really dissapointing in Gopro. I tought I was getting a good quality product and Im kind searching a way or some good thing to convince me not to get a refund. 

Nomad

[ New ]

@oxize wrote:

I contacted a big Youtuber which uses Hero 9 also, but he never had issue.

2021-02-15 09_13_05-

Maybe we all got a bad batch?

Nah, if for "big youtubers" you mean people that profit advertising products hoping some brand will pay them or benefit them somehow, it's a business for them and if they depend on brands like GoPro... "don't bite the hand that feeds you" . It seems to be the general attitude in YT no? That's why unless you proof it it's impossible to know, but by the looks of it pretty sure everyone's got the vertical line.

Hiker

[ New ]

"

Same problem here, pretty annoying....

Any contents with that vertical line is useless, Is one of you were able to fix that issue?!"

You have to downgrade the firmware to version 1.22 if you want to get rid of the issue until GoPro decides to release thier update that they have said is 'coming soon" since December. You can get the firmware off my google drive link here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1Lf2FL-Pib1NdAQ5dyAPO-09zztkkC38B

And here are the instructions to install it:

Steps to rollback are the same as manually updating to a new firmware. You need to get access to a PC for this.

1. Remove the SD card from your camera, and insert it into your pc through some sort of micro SD card reader.

2. Using the Google Drive link above, download the 3 files to your computer. Create a new folder and name it "Update" (without the quotations).

3. Copy this new "Update" folder from your PC's hard drive to your GoPro's SD card in the main root directory. In other words, just open the SD card folder, and drag and drop the 'Update' folder to it.
4. Make sure YOUR CAMERA IS TURNED OFF, and insert the SD card back into the SD card slot on the camera.
5. Power on the camera, the update should start automatically.
6. When the update completes, the camera will reboot, and you will be back to firmware 1.22 and the verticle line issue should no longer be a problem.

A couple of things to think about with this... the latest firmware version is 1.5 and it added support for the following. Directly from the GoPro 9 firmware page:

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Provides support for The Remote
Provides support for the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter
Improves HyperSmooth performance at cold temperatures
Offers faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app
Improves GPS lock and accuracy
Provides support for Live Streaming with the Max Lens Mod

USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements to Scheduled Capture
General bug fixes and user interface improvements

By rolling back to version 1.22 you will lose the updates listed above. To me, this was not an issue. I would rather my video look correct then worry about the remote or Pro 3.5 adaptor, which I don't even have.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have the same issue . Here is my observation so far:

- Frimware v1.5

- Happened only in 1080p so far

- Happened only once in 1080p @60 fps only once.. reboot fixed it

- Happens consistently at 1080p@240

- Did not happen at 1080p@120 in my limited tests

pic.png
Nomad

[ New ]

The link of 1.22 firmware that kindly shared a person it's no longer available so I'm uploading it myself: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XBkFlFVla0VbAJJ6cPSCGwbAKMqfuIIf?usp=sharing

Also uploaded a GoPro 9 lens profile for lightroom if anyone is interested: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SPwC4DvYhwOoSos1rkvQS918rjfH0b7j?usp=sharing

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi, my brand new H9 has this bug too. Camera has the latest fw 1.5. Waiting for a fix
Hiker

[ New ]
Good luck. The rest of us have been waiting to. Since the middle of December.

Do yourself a favor and downgrade to firmware version 1.22 and be done with it. GoPro is taking their sweet as time fixing it.
Hiker

[ New ]
1080p is not very important for me. Im using 4k50 almost all the time
Sightseer

Betreff: Vertical line - darker half video - Gopro Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

Hi,

same Problem here, vertical Line in the Videos with strange movement.

That made me thinking it has something to do with Smoothing.

I recorded some videos while diving yesterday in 1080|50/SuperView/HyperSmooth On, and all of the clips show the issue.

Today, i experimented a little, and it seems to me that only with HyperSmooth On, the problem shows up. When using HyperSmooth Off or Boost, I do not see the vertical line.

Some days ago, I recorded some clips in 2.7k, no line at all, no matter what else I set up.

So it makes me feel like the "Improvements to HyperSmooth" announced in V1.5 was not that much of an improvement :-)

For me, no Problem, turning on Boost or Off solves that issue for me.

Nomad

[ New ]

People there's new GoPro firmware 1.52 ! One test at 200/240 slowmo and no trace of the vertical line. No compatibility with Labs firmware at the moment.

Hiker

[ New ]

Good news:7143D518-E172-4BA0-963A-D8611693E6F5.jpeg

Hiker

[ New ]
That is really awesome , thanks for posting!!

Quick question , If I upgrade this , will I loose Labs... Or should we wait for an updated labs release
Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah, you will need to wait for a new Labs firmware. Latest one at the moment is based on v1.50.
Hiker

[ New ]
I want to know why no notification from GoPro team?
No email.
No post here from the team.
Do that mean I have to check the update page everyday?
Hiker

[ New ]
It's because GoPro's customer service just plain sucks. The entire system is garbage. I won't be installing this firmware for a while until I see what other users experience with it.
Hiker

[ New ]

Agree with you @rcolbeck 

A guy is subscribed to newsletter, has his camera registered on the website, and still has to check the forums and webpage everyday looking for a new firmware version. No good.

They seem to be struggling in comms department but at least the developers got the issue fixed (eventually) and a couple of their guys read these forum posts so hopefully suggestions like this will get implemented eventually.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello everyone. The firmware version 1.52 for the HERO9 Black was just released today. One of the performance improvements included in this new version fixes the vertical line or divided image exposure issue in the camera.

We try to update all related threads as soon as we can. We appreciate your patience.

Let us know if anything else comes up.

Nomad

[ New ]

Ye, the popping audio thread. Respond there also please @aenriquez 

Tourist

[ New ]
As an old dude with money I will never buy one of these POS products again. It seems like they’re run by Mickey Mouse as they have poor/ inept communications. The goPro nine will be my last pro I will look to Sony another products for my venture filming.
Hiker

[ New ]
1.52 released Feb 25 2021 also seems to have resolved issue as well. Here is short video showing before and after.
https://youtu.be/Cb8y84ABIBs
Tourist

[ New ]

Started testing on the 1.52 firmware but have the 1.22 still standby ! (just in case.....)

As of now i'm prepared

Hiker

[ New ]

I am going to withdraw my belief the issue was fixed in 1.52. It appears the issue still exists but improvements were made to make it less noticable. Attached is a exported frame recorded at 240 FPS with 1.52 and a line can be seen still.

240FPS Frame GP9 Firmware 1.52

Hiker

[ New ]

I personally can't see the line. But I also don't have the raw file you do. I saved your image to my PC and zoomed in a bit and still couldn't see it.

Regaurdless, my camera works as needed with firmware 1.22. I'll be staying on that for quite some time.

Nomad

[ New ]

I see it, but its verry minimal. Much better than it was.

Nomad

[ New ]

@marcusg68112 wrote:

I am going to withdraw my belief the issue was fixed in 1.52. It appears the issue still exists but improvements were made to make it less noticable. Attached is a exported frame recorded at 240 FPS with 1.52 and a line can be seen still.

Yep, also have the vertical line. Appears when it wants, other times don't appear at all and image is normal. NOT SOLVED

If @GoPro  don't want another camera in their recycle trash better release 1.53 NOW!

Hiker

[ New ]
Haha. Good luck with that but. Took them --bleep-- near 3 months to get this latest one released.

They don't care if you throw it out. They already got your money.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Saiu uma atualização do firmware agorinha que resolveu. Cola nesse link aqui: https://gopro.com/pt/pt/update

E basta seguir o passo a passo.

Nomad

[ New ]

@marcusg68112 Found a hack that maybe works: did some tests, first with a factory reset and sd card format, then start changing settings one by one of Slow-Mo default preset (it's the one that always fails me).

From factory adjustments didn't make vertical line in 3 tries, but when start changing adjustments, in order:

first the lens to linear, then turning off stabilization AND when changing the Bit Rate option from Standard to High triggered the vertical lineActually if one reads the description of those options in High mode says: "(2.7K and up resolution only)". So as I understand High Bit Rate for any 1080 is useless if not triggering this. This may be relevant because all the cases that people are reporting of vertical line happened in 1080 and not necessarily in slow-mo or lens settings.

The crazy thing is that I tried the same with 1.5, solved nothing, then installed back 1.52 and repeated the same tests and now doesn't make anymore vertical line. I will leave the BIt Rate at Standard for any 1080 preset and see what happens from now on.

Hiker

[ New ]
I'm glad you have enough free time to mess with something thuggery still doesn't work right after 3 months complaints.

GoPro will never get another cent from me. I'll stick with firmware 1.22 and be done with it. I can't afford to lots footage from jobs in tired for megastar this joke of a company can't get their **bleep** together.
Nomad

[ New ]

Nah, doesn't matter what Bit Rate option, make a quick tests with both options and vertical line is still there.

Why sometimes never shows and others do appear? If anyone finds any hack please let me know.

What a shame, 2 consecutive firmwares that makes more problems of the old versions.

Hiker

[ New ]

what!? New firmware just came out few days ago and it fix this problem !!!!

Hiker

[ New ]
Actually, no it didn't fix it according to several users. I refuse to upgrade from 1.22 firmware. My gadgets works just fine since I downgraded to it, I'm not pissin' with it.
Nomad

[ New ]

@rockwood610 there must be a reason why 1.22 and before was alright and then afterwards a complete fail. Been wanting to do a quality comparison between the old-new firmwares, last time ( and the only one ) I recorded 200 fps with 1.22 in the street, aliasing and moiré patterns where like a horrid version of video camera from the 80's