Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Vertical line - darker half video - Gopro Hero 9 Black

[ New ]
oh no it's my mistake I didn't see something
Nomad

[ New ]

yes exactly, the good official instructions from gopro are only accessible when you authenticate yourself as a user that wants to install the latest update. Of course you don't have to download anything, you'll see.

One of the two versions I've posted around here, the file to install it's called something else apart from "update", I don't have the instructions here but if I recall correctly to ensure the camera recognizes the firmware have to be named only "update" regardless of what version it is.

Tourist

[ New ]
OKayyy good thank a lot, im sorry I want to be sure I don't want new problem lol
Tourist

[ New ]

hello.

i've phoned GOPRO today for this probleme.

a new firmware will appear on the end of january.

i hope it will be ok.

so they give me the choice, i can returne my gopro to have a new one or wait the new firmware to see if it's good.

i say i've "downdate" it, and this is not a problem for them! the warranty is still ok.

i'll we stay in firmware 1.22 for the moment, try the new 1.55 (when it'll be here) and if it's still not good return my cam to see what they'll do with it.

wait and see....

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi, @laureh0 @isaakonfire @sinay4pegs @roccopirr @robert1326 

Sorry about that and thanks for the feedback. Our camera team is looking into the issue and working on a fix.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello! When can we expect the firmware? It is not possible to shoot like that! (((

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,
I'm sorry but I don't have this information, I just know that the team is working on it and I trust that we're doing our best to ship the fix as fast as possible. I don't have dates information.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all, unfortunately I got the same issue as everybody else, and most of my footage from the last weekend is totally ruined.

About what I read here, I don't think there is any solution to avoid the issue with firmware 1.50 : it was suggested to change the max iso setting, fps, field of view, pal vs ntsc, etc ... 

Some people have shared their results on some tests, I can only add mine : I initially saw the issue on both superview 100 fps and 4K linear 50 fps. Then I tried to switch to ntsc (60 fps) as suggested by someone, and still reproduced the issue.

I'll get the 1.22 and manually downgrade to this version until we can have a new (safe) firmware.

In the meantime, I hope gopro will work on a tool to fix our footage. Since the vertical separation is not fixed but moves around (most likely along with the stabilization frame) it's pretty much impossible to fix when editing the video, so our only hope to salvage footage is if gopro provides such a tool to automatically process it by removing the shading and I think it's something they MUST do, they owe that to us.

I'll contact support to express my concerns and request such a tool, I think it would be good if all impacted people can do the same to increase our chances to get it someday....

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all.

So after installing fw 1.22 (as suggested in various related threads), I gave it anoter try today with various settings (1080p50 Superview, 4K25 Linear+, 1080p200 Linear+) : no issues anymore, so it really looks like it's directly related to fw 1.50.

However, when I reached out to customer service to report the issue on my camera (along with other issues such as "freezes", or "camera powering off automatically with 20% battery left and a "low battery" message") I was told that this issue is not related to fw 1.50, but with an 'internal' problem, unrelated to firmware.

Obviously I find it very hard to believe given the tests results I and others got + updates given by some people coming from gopro teams, so I argued with the guy on the phone about it, but after some wait, discussing with his team, he insisted that it's the motherboard, and that the issue must have been there the whole time, just not triggered until after using the camera for some time (which is also unlikely since I wasn't able to reproduce anymore after downgrading to 1.22)

Anyway, he told me to return my gopro for an exchange, so I'm sending it tomorrow, and I'll run some tests when the new one comes in.

By this time, maybe a new firmware fixing the issue will also be available if as I expect, the new gopro has similar issues... Or maybe only some gopros have a faulty motherboard causing the 1.50 fw to act up like this.

Last but not least I asked him about a tool to fix our messed up footage, and he said nothing is ready but did not rule it out completely, so I'm not sure if they are actually working on such a tool. I'll definitely bring it up again whenever the firmware is fixed.

I don't know if other people have been asked to return their gopro for an exchange, and I surely don't count on this too much to fix the issue, but anyway, that's where I'm at, and felt this needed to be shared. To be continued...

Tourist

[ New ]

I would like to share a crazy thought I'm having about this issue with you all.

You think it might be possible the HERO9 doesn't really have a 24MP sensor but actually two regular 12MP sensors put side by side to create a single stichted image? The vertical line would appear when the lighting on both sensors would not match up (like it does in Fusion and Max sometimes).

To me, this would explain a variety of other characteristics of the Hero 9, like the fact that it's bigger, needs a bigger battery, gets too hot (because it needs internal stitching) and god knows what other issues.

Btw, if this is what was needed to boost the camera quality to a whole new level I can only apploud that. Unfortunately, I guess we all know by now it didn't quite turn out that way.

Nomad

[ New ]

@seriousaction it is possible but how you explain the horizontal line of this person? : https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Брак-горизонтальные-линии/m-p/931811#M188531

I tried to help him explaining the thing about installing an older firmware so maybe he could clarify me if it's something hardware related but I think he just got a replacement.

With the next update we shall see.

Nomad

[ New ]

Guys watch out I just replaced my GoPro 9 and the 1.5 vertical lines in slowmotion it's gone, also had a problem with sound popping and now is good (how it should be), 

The first thing I did was charge the battery then a manual 1.5 Update install and everything good.

Nomad

[ New ]

Sorry guys, I was just reviewing slowmo samples and the vertical line just came back, my audio popping is fixed but vertical lines persist. I don't think it's a hardware problem, it should be fixed by the next update.

GoPro

[ New ]
@isaakonfire
Indeed the team is working on a firmware fix for the next update.
Hiker

[ New ]
Contando che gopro rilascia un aggiornamento mediamente ogni 3 mesi e che ogni aggiornamento risolve un problema e ne introduce due di nuovi...mettiamoci tutti l'anima in pace
Hiker

[ New ]

@haindash what is weird is that the customer service took the time to discuss my problem offline with somebody else (his manager ? tech team ?), and then told me to return my gopro to have it replaced, because of a "motherboard issue" assuring me that it was not a firmware issue.

Have you heard anything about that ? Maybe it's a combination of both ? In any case a sync up with customer service seems to be needed.

Hiker

[ New ]

@isaakonfire I see this topic is marked as "solved" maybe you should reopen it (or have some admins reopen it) as it's misleading ?

GoPro

[ New ]
@sebchang
Hi,
I don't know about your particular, personal case, maybe there's something different or conjoint issues here.
I know that I am following the vertical line matter and that a fix will be provided firmware side.
Just like the GPS issue was fixed in a firmware update with 1.5.
Hiker

[ New ]

@haindash it was the exact same issue as described here and in other posts and I don't see what else could have led them to believe my issue had a different root cause, unless my serial number being in a list of known faulty cameras but if that's the case then other people may also need a replacement and not just a new firmare.

Anyway it seems like there's a disconnect between different services, and I just hope my replacement camera won't have the 1.50 firmware installed already. I would not feel safe at all filming with it and risking loosing footage again...

Nomad

[ New ]

@sebchang I'm not spending a millisecond on solving Gopro's malfunctions, instead of complaining to the void this post helps people informate them with solutions.

Hiker

[ New ]
If you know how to mnaully update your firmware via a pc, you download the 1.22 version here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=118685d768f557a1&id=118685D768F557A1%21408168&authkey=!AG_dqJDy5yqgNS...

I just installed/rolled back to it on mine. It installed successfully, and I will be trying to shoot some footage with it later to see if this issue is resolved by doing so. The 1.5 version doesn't seem to have a list of fixes that I am concerned with at this point, I just want my footage to record correctly. I'll keep an eye on the next firmware update.
Hiker

[ New ]

I'm tired of waiting for my replacement gopro, being well aware that it won't solve anything (from the comments of people here having tried that and even 'gopro' guys - who are you exactly if you're not from the support team ? - confirming it's firmware related), and the worst part is that we're not seeing any actual signs of commitment from gopro to fix the issue and also provide a fix for the ruined videos made with fw 1.5. A compensation for all the lost time & money & rushes would be in order as well I think.

It's unacceptable to leave us helpless customers ranting on a forum, especially when a simple downgrade to 1.22 seems to revert the issue until a better firmware update allows to provide the other fixes from 1.5 without introducing such a terrible new bug.

I've had my fare share of reliability issues with gopro, but this one is the worst by far.

Tourist

[ New ]

here the same thing on firmware 1.5

Looks like the left and right are filmed with different settings or something crazy.

I'm starting to get a little dissapointed in the gopro 9 cam. It is an update from my old and dead gopro 3 black.

The old cam has never let me down and the footage was beautiful.

So i had trust in the gopro cam and it was a no-brainer to upgrade to the new awsome full featured fresh gopro 9.

Well......i'm dissapointed, the foto quality is in my huble opinion sh.. and in a darker environment even useless.

So to even make this cam usable for filming i have to put the old 1.22 firmware on it???

I'm a little lost.

p.s. sorry for my english, i'm dutch

GoPro

[ New ]
Sorry for the frustration, the team is aware and a firmware update will be coming shortly.
Hiker

[ New ]

I get the frustrations. I had to tinker with this camera for several hours the first few days I got it to see if manual firmware installs on the 1.5 version would work and what not. None of it helped. The roll back to version 1.22 is the only thing that has been a solid solution for me, but it may not be for everyone because of the features the 1.5 has added. Those features maybe needed for some.

This is my first GoPro camera. After hearing so many positive things about them, I was excited to get it. It's a pleasent thought to have a mobile camera around after having to lug a Sony NX100 camera around all the time. However, my first impressions with the GoPro Hero 9 are not that positive. I know tech can be wonky and updates take time, but this is a MAJOR flaw in one of the camera's most important features. And the feature is recording video. This isn't a small minor issue, this is a major flaw in one of the units basic functions.

And the fact that we have been hearing 'a fix is coming' as far back as December 22nd (that's the first forum post I saw with a GoPro team meber reply in regaurds to it), this is just not acceptible in my honest opinion. I think it is time these hardware and software companies stop rushing junk products out the door with flaws attached to them, just to try and cash grab as much as they can. This seems to be 'okay' because 'updates' can come down the road to fix the initial issues. Updates should be targeted to add new features. Not fix sloppy issues with old ones.

I am going to ride this out and see what the future updates do, but at this time, this will be my first and only GoPro purchase. When the time comes for an upgrade, I am hoping DJI or someone alike will have a solid option to go with.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey GoPro, don't you have QA/QC at all? How could you miss such an obvious issue?

Don't you have developers as well? Why does it take so long to fix it?

I would definitely return it if I could... And switch back to my gopro 5.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem here. Spent thousands to make a ski film (licensed music and all) with my new 9 and it was a huge disappointment (split screen exposure problem in about half the shots). You would think that by the 9th generation GoPro would have figued out how to make a camera that works. Guess not? Very disappointed. The 8 and 5 are great. Total loss of confidence in the 9 and GoPro. Customer service says to wait for a SW fix. What am I supposed to do in the mean time? I'm using my 9 as a door stop to hold my office door open now.

2021 Ski Trip Line 2.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

@royalhero26546, apologies for the inconvenience. This generally occurs when shooting at 1080P/240FPS. Our team is aware of the issue and working on resolving this as soon as possible. Please keep an eye out for future updates. We appreciate your patience.

Hiker

[ New ]

No, it happened to me shooting at 1080p 60fps with superview on. Been 'keeping an eye out' for 'future updates' since later December. THis iosn't a small issue. THis is preventing the camera from doing what it is suppose to do.... RECORD PROPER VIDEO.

THis is my first GoPro. It will be my last.

Hiker

[ New ]

While everybody's waiting for the holy post-1.5 firmware update, I'm waiting for the camera itself.

When I reached out to customer service on january 15, for this issue among other (freezes, misleading 'low battery' error message with 20% left) I was told to return my camera for an exchange, because of "faulty motherboard", even though people here (from gopro and customers) all said it was firmware related. Not confident about it at all, but anyway, maybe my camera also had a bad motherboard on top of that ? It was supposed to take approx. 10 days to get a new one, so I decide to send my unit back, I get a confirmation on january 22 that it has been delivered to gopro and that a replacement is coming 'soon'.

February 4th, still nothing, I'm contacting the customer service again and guess what : "your camera was not delivered, it came back to us". Well, that's weird, so we check my address and of course it's perfectly correct, and I'm told that "maybe UPS messed up" ... OK ... BUT WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR TO REACH OUT TO ME AND AND SEND IT AGAIN ?? If I didn't call them, how many more days until somebody figures out that a customer is waiting for his camera to be delivered to him ?

So for now I can't even take pictures with it or downgrade it to 1.22 until a fix is coming.

TERRIBLE Customer service, I'm speechless...

Tourist

[ New ]
I hate to say this but somebody in their organization had one job to do and apparently they were doing something else
Tourist

[ New ]

I don't think the GoPro team is on the right track by thinking it generally occurs when shooting at 1080/240FPS

It occurs by many more settings!!

Maybe for a lot of people this is a nice gizmo cam, but for me it was a serious amount of money to spend.

Please can you give an estimated time for an usable update? 
I can't find the old 1.22 firmware, it is also not on your website as an solution and I don't like to download it from an not known site.

Hope to hear from u and to see a solution in the near future 

Hiker

[ New ]
I can assure you the one I have hosted on my Google Drive account is safe and working. I found it from another user, scanned it with malware bytes and Bitdefender and installed it to my camera and it's been working solid for several 4 to 5 hour stationary recording sessions.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1Lf2FL-Pib1NdAQ5dyAPO-09zztkkC38B
Hiker

[ New ]

And here are the instructions to install it.

Steps to rollback are the same as manually updating to a new firmware. You need to get access to a PC for this.

1. Remove the SD card from your camera, and insert it into your pc through some sort of micro SD card reader.

2. Using the Google Drive link above, download the 3 files to your computer. Create a new folder and name it "Update" (without the quotations).

3. Copy this new "Update" folder from your PC's hard drive to your GoPro's SD card in the main root directory. In other words, just open the SD card folder, and drag and drop the 'Update' folder to it.
4. Make sure YOUR CAMERA IS TURNED OFF, and insert the SD card back into the SD card slot on the camera.
5. Power on the camera, the update should start automatically.
6. When the update completes, the camera will reboot, and you will be back to firmware 1.22 and the verticle line issue should no longer be a problem.

A couple of things to think about with this... the latest firmware version is 1.5 and it added support for the following. Directly from the GoPro 9 firmware page:

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

• Provides support for The Remote
  • Provides support for the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter
  • Improves HyperSmooth performance at cold temperatures
  • Offers faster wireless offloads to the GoPro app
  • Improves GPS lock and accuracy
  • Provides support for Live Streaming with the Max Lens Mod

USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

• Improvements to Scheduled Capture
  • General bug fixes and user interface improvements

By rolling back to version 1.22 you will lose the updates listed above. To me, this was not an issue. I would rather my video look correct then worry about the remote or Pro 3.5 adaptor, which I don't even have.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you rockwood I give it a try 

Stil find it strange GoPro is not providing it anymore as an solution 

I also don't give a sh.. about an new remote or something 

i just want a working cam.

thanks again, appreciate it a lot 

Hiker

[ New ]

No problem man. And I know exactly what you mean. I have subscribed to or replied back to over 10 other forum posts about this issue, offering the old firmware files. Every single one of them gets a candid response from GoPro reps saying the same thing. 'We are aware of the issue, and we're working on a frimware update to fix it."

Now, I get it, these software and firmware updates take time. And I am sure the plandemic ordeal isn't helping things, but this isn't some minor defect or a simple annoyance. This is a MAJOR FUCNTION OF WHY THE PRODUCT EXISTS - RECORDING VIDEO! And the amounf ot comaplints I have seena bout it, you would think this would be a top priroty to get fixed. Unfortunatly, I have seen these candid responses from GoPro reps as far back as December 22nd, with no word of an official update release date. Just the same old 'we are aware of the issue, we are working on a fix".

I have never owned a GoPro before. I was aware of them, as friends have had them. Heard a lot of good things, almost no bad. So I jumped right into buying a Hero 9, a bunch of accessories, and a $90 hardshell SKB case for it. THe 1.22 firmware has fixed my issues thus far, so I can't say it all was a total waste, but holy hell... I had to play around with the camera for 3 days before it was usable, and the only way it was usable was by accidently stumbling on to someone who was kind enough to share the old firmware since GoPro won't re-release it.

At this juncture, I will download and keep in my offlibe files a copy of each firmware just in case. THis is my first GoPro, and based on the nightmare of customer service issues I have seen through out this forum, it will be my last. Hopefully someone like DJI will came out with a strong competitor and it won't be an issue down the line.

Sightseer

[ New ]

It is horrible for me - I have 3,5mm reduction with SmallRig. And well I have to stick with MediaMod which is totally not practical - each time you want to change battery or work with MicroSD card you have to remove camera from MediaMod - this is so emberassing. 

And fix for video on video camera? This should be priority

1st GoPro said - on the end of January 2021 (nothing happend)

what goes next? 

Tourist

[ New ]

bonjour,

j'ai moi aussi l'apparition de ce trait vertical mais plutôt en contre jour. Ca fait pas des clichés sérieux!! j'attends encore un mois que Gopro travaille dessus pour résoudre le problème et après je ferais de la publicité pour les marques concurentes sur mes réseaux sociaux!!: dji, insta..

Hiker

[ New ]

Bonjour,

Je suis surpris de lire "resolu" alors que le problème n'est pas résolu. Problème signalé depuis presque 2 mois. Si l'on a des exigences de qualité, ce qui est justifié vu le tarif de ces caméras, on ne peut PAS utiliser la GoPro 9 tant que ce problème de lignes verticales ne sera pas résolu. Les images ne sont pas exploitables. Pourquoi si peu de réactivité ? Quel dédomagement pour les utilisateurs ?

Hello,
I am surprised to read "solved" when the problem is not solved. Problem reported for almost 2 months. If you have small demands on quality, which is justified given the price of these cameras, you cannot use the GoPro 9 with this image defect. The images cannot be used. Why so little responsiveness? What compensation for users?

Nomad

[ New ]

Hello @marcd85365 , I'm the author of the post and the one who marked as solved; of course it's not solved, but if anyone is asking, like me, if the camera is broken and should be replaced... it is not: given the amount of GoPro 9 malfunctions this one is a "firmware bug" not existing in previous firmwares*. You can confirm it downloading one of the previous firmwares provided in this posts where this problem doesn't happen.

I'm waiting for the next firmware update, that should have been released immediately this problem was detected, and it would be really shocking if GoPro doesn't solve it, in which case I will have my money back and unmark this post as unsolved.

*if you install GoPro Labs update it will automatically install 1.5 firmware and won't be able to use the camera without the vertical line problem.

Nomad

[ New ]

Didnt they say, they will release the new update any time soon?

Hiker

[ New ]
Define 'soon'. Because I've seen posts as far back as December 22 where they had knowledge that they know the problem is there, and they keep using the term "soon" on every single post sense. one reply that I received on one of the other threads was that it was supposed to be mid to late January. Well here we are a quarter of way through February and they still don't have a date for the release of it.
Nomad

[ New ]

Since 17 of December they haven't yet so I if it isn't now I'm not waiting good news at this point, honestly as long as their lasting I'm sure many consumers less interested in keeping the camera are directly replacing or getting their money back, so the ball it's on their side.

Hiker

[ New ]

I am content with the firmware downgrade to 1.22. My camera at least works now. I'll wait several weeks after they release the next firmware update to make sure it's not a total train wreck like 1.5 has been before I install it.

Nomad

[ New ]

Well, you can go try other action camera brands, but i can ensure those have their flaws also. I had an Yi 4K, and that thing is dusting away because of big audio problems, weird artifacts and other weird stuff. Even brands like Sony have their flaws.

But i have to say, when my delivery didnt went good, i contacted support alot in that month, and my experience with them wasnt really good. The fact you can only chat or telephone them is so 1990ish.

Let them change their system to a ticket system like Corsair where users can reply. Next to that, you can have a chat also. It would upgrade their support so much (hint: Aragorn)

Transparent communication is so important for a company. Especially in these covid-19 times. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Now that you mention Sony, it's the brand that with photocameras is blowing it with specs/prices but their sports cam ( RX0 mark II ) is almost double the price and does 4K 30p as maximum, what flaws did you say it have?

Nomad

[ New ]

Overheating problems like the Hero9, Focussing problems, video recording time around 35min duo battery life.

Nomad

[ New ]

Yep GoPro really breaking it at the side of a camera heavy weight like Sony...except for all this crap of malfunctions.

Nomad

[ New ]

Smiley LOL

2021-02-09 00_38_12-Adobe Premiere Pro 2020 - C__Users_Oxize_Documents_Adobe_Premiere Pro_14.0_Sneeu.png

Hiker

[ New ]

What we really need at this point is somebody with some time / knowledge to contact lawyers / consumer support association to look into our options to not only get a working camera, but also get some kind of compensation for our trouble and have gopro figure out a way to provide a tool to process the broken footage and remove the 'shading'.

This would help make things go faster I guess, and minimize our loss, but it takes time & effort.

Otherwise we're just ranting to each other