Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Vertical Line Exposure issue since 1.5 update

[ New ]

I am haviing this odd vertical line appearing in my footage since I updated my Hero9 to 1.5. It looks like the exposure is different on the left side of the screen to the right side. Anyone else having this issue?

VL.PNG
GoPro

Re: Vertical Line Exposure issue since 1.5 update

[ New ]

Hi @thoraticus

What was the resolution used?

Where are you playing the files back? Do you observe the same when played back on the camera and the app?

How was the last update done?

See if re-flashing the software will help. Please follow the manual update steps on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 

I filmed using 1080p 50fps

I played the files back on Windows Media Player and Adobe Premiere Pro on Windows 10

The last update was done using the phone app on my Pixel 3xl

The lens is set to Linear+HL and I have HyperSmooth set on High

I have reflashed the firmware using the SD card method and the issue is still there.

It also comes and goes. If you watch my video linked below you can see how it appears and then disappears.

After doing some further testing I can confirm that the issue does not appear for me when filming at 2.7k or 4k 50fps. At least not yet anyway.

https://youtu.be/RXtWtLUuRLM

Thanks

Buddhism is not something most people associate with when they think of living in Australia. However Australia has many Buddhist Temples and Retreats. In thi...
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @thoraticus

Thanks for getting back to us.

We'll have this shared with the team.

Were you able to run a manual update?

See if this clears the issue.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 

Yes I successfully ran the update manually, but the issue is still present when filming in 1080p.

Thanks again 👍

Sightseer

[ New ]

Yo tengo el mismo problema, entre otros, linea vertical en los video, flickeo en la pantalla trasera y una resolución de pena en todos los modos, vamos una mierda la Gopro 9. Y las fotos de chiste, los moviles de hace 10 años tenían más resolución. Espero que sea la unidad que me a tocado y me la cambien pronto.

Nomad

[ New ]

Hello aragon1006 I bought yesterday the 9 black, 1.5 updated and having the same issue trying 200 fps in linear and narrow.

When installing the update with an ipad failed at first attempt, at second attempt went good, I was sitting next to a 600mbs wifi so I don't suppose this failed.

Also I'm using an eventual SDcard from my smartphone (formated), it's not even listed on GoPro recommended specs but works fine, although it has been used a lot over the years so I don't trust it much. [ I attach photo of SD card ]

Please can you clarify if I should get another GoPro 9 ? Or It's about a firmware issue? Could an old used microSD card from smartphone cause any problems? Is there something that we could do to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Image002.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Noooo!

Gopro recién estrenada ayer, firmware actualizdo y teno el mismo problema. 

1080, SloMo, 240 fps, una línea vertical muy desagradable en todo el medio.

Estrenar una cámara de acción ""de esta marca"" y que sto sea lo primero en lo que se fije uno, no es cosa buenas.

Solución por favor...

Aprovecho para hacer la sigueinte pregunta. Estoy a tiempo de devolver la cámara pero, antes de esto ¿son normales problemas de este u otro tipo en esas cámaras?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @virushs. The issue is definitely not normal. Our team is looking into this matter. We will post back for updates once we receive new information. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Just want to say I also have the same issue (at least on 1080p videos), also on 1.5 version. It is there both when I watch the video on GoPro itself and when I import the files and check them on PC. It may be related to lighting, because when there are shadows or a different lighting (e.g. generally indoors), it does not seem to have any issue for me. But it's really hit and miss. I'm using 50Hz and H.264 + HEVC compression if that matters.

vlcsnap.png
Hiker

[ New ]

Same issue here, posted in various topics about this issue to get updates as soon as they are available.

@GoPro please provide a solution ASAP.

I see it's been at least 3 weeks since the first reports, and people have confirmed that downgrading to 1.22 fixed the issue so what are you waiting to warn people not to upgrade without being aware of this issue, and provide an easy way to downgrade ?

Had I known about it beforehand, I wouldn't have upgraded my gopro and my footage would not be USELESS.

I find it extremely unprofessionnal that you let people upgrade to this terrible firmware, even though you knew about this critical issue.

In addition to a new firmware fixing it, I hope you are also working on a tool which could fix our messed up footage as it's impossible to fix ourselves in post production.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all.

So after installing fw 1.22 (as suggested in various related threads), I gave it anoter try today with various settings (1080p50 Superview, 4K25 Linear+, 1080p200 Linear+) : no issues anymore, so it really looks like it's directly related to fw 1.50.

However, when I reached out to customer service to report the issue on my camera (along with other issues such as "freezes", or "camera powering off automatically with 20% battery left and a "low battery" message") I was told that this issue is not related to fw 1.50, but with an 'internal' problem, unrelated to firmware.

Obviously I find it very hard to believe given the tests results I and others got + updates given by some people coming from gopro teams, so I argued with the guy on the phone about it, but after some wait, discussing with his team, he insisted that it's the motherboard, and that the issue must have been there the whole time, just not triggered until after using the camera for some time (which is also unlikely since I wasn't able to reproduce anymore after downgrading to 1.22)

Anyway, he told me to return my gopro for an exchange, so I'm sending it tomorrow, and I'll run some tests when the new one comes in.

By this time, maybe a new firmware fixing the issue will also be available if as I expect, the new gopro has similar issues... Or maybe only some gopros have a faulty motherboard causing the 1.50 fw to act up like this.

Last but not least I asked him about a tool to fix our messed up footage, and he said nothing is ready but did not rule it out completely, so I'm not sure if they are actually working on such a tool. I'll definitely bring it up again whenever the firmware is fixed.

I don't know if other people have been asked to return their gopro for an exchange, and I surely don't count on this too much to fix the issue, but anyway, that's where I'm at, and felt this needed to be shared. To be continued...

GoPro

[ New ]

Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you, @sebchang. Our team is aware of this issue and working on resolving this as soon as possible. Please keep an eye out for future updates. We appreciate your patience.

Hiker

[ New ]

should not the update 1.5 have been pulled, until the bug is fixed?

Hiker

[ New ]
So what’s the problem? Is it a firmware bug or is it faulty hardware? This vertical line problem has been reported for over a month on this forum and we aren’t really getting any answers.

If you notice that many of the people reporting the issue are outside and the camera is glitching due to the brightness of the white snow on the ground. I don’t have snow on the ground where I live, but the problem mainly occurs when shooting towards a bright setting sun. Maybe and hour before sunset. I have boxed up my camera and am returning it to Amazon. If the replacement has the problem and GoPro hasn’t acknowledged what the problem is (firmware or hardware)....I’m done. It’s pretty clear that GoPro engineers are too arrogant to read this forum.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi Everyone I also experience this on my gopro, and unfortunately if i will downgrade my gopro i wont have the compatibility with the 3.5mm mic adapter, so the best way was to just ignore the lines on my footage, 

I hope Gopro really give us update because it is not a simple issue mostly for those who uses their gopro's in businesses and contents. 

I purchased the Gopro here at the Philippines which does not have any snow, as mentioned by others. 

Please fix this Gopro, Don't make the GOPRO HERO X if you can't fix this issue with your latest model. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am also experiencing this issue. Very annoying! 

Sightseer

[ New ]

i have the same issue with the vertical line in the middle whenever i am filming in slo-mo at 1080 and 240fps. i have the latest firmware installed 1.5 in my hero 9.
any updates on what is causing this?
is it something that can be fixed in the next firmware update or are we screwed?

i don’t want to change my settings, i shouldn’t have to resolve to that, it is something that should be fixed asap.

i have attached an image showing what i mean: as you can see there’s clearly a line in the middle of my photo. it is horizontal because i have tilted the camera at 90 degrees

gopro_problem.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @dsakis. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the camera. Our team is working on a fix for the issue. We have not received an update yet but we will definitely post about it once we have new information. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello everyone. The firmware version 1.52 for the HERO9 Black was just released today. One of the performance improvements included in this new version fixes the vertical line or divided image exposure issue in the camera.

We appreciate your patience. Let us know if anything else comes up