Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Using the GoPro8 as a webcam

Hi,

I'm trying to set my GoPro Hero 8 up as a webcam to work with my Windows laptop.  The laptop is newer then the camera, it's an i7 9th gen so happy with the equipment.

With the MediaMod I've attached a micro HDMI to USB-C cable into my laptop.  The laptop recognises I've plugged a device in but referrs to it as USB 2.0 BILLBOARD.

From that point I'm stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martyn

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Using the GoPro8 as a webcam

Hi @langas

We do not have an official way to do this but you may do your own research.

Other users have attempted this setup however it involves the use of a capture card or an OBS.

Let us watch out for their replies.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Nomad

While USB-C on pc's and laptops can carry a video out signal, unless your laptop specifically has a protocal for USB-C in, then plugging your camera (via the media mod) into your laptop with a HDMI to USB-C cable will not work.

As said, the only way to capture a feed from your camera to use as a webcam would be to use a HDMI capture card that plugs into your laptop.  While these are cheap the are best suited to non live feeds as there can sometimes be video lag and audio sync issues with this type of setup.

My advice is to avoid 3rd parties and go direct to manufacturers if you want to purchase a webcam, they usually have a stock for customers in dire need or a better lead time on new orders.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi @langas

We do not have an official way to do this but you may do your own research.

Other users have attempted this setup however it involves the use of a capture card or an OBS.

Let us watch out for their replies.

Thanks!

Ej

That is a really weak response.

You should be all over this.

It seems to me, that the idea behind new models is to make them better.

Didn't 7 have this capability?

How hardwould it be to update the SW?

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

The GoPro 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Fusion or Max do not function as webcams nor have they ever supported functioning as a webcam simply because they lack the needed hardware to support video over usb.  All the software updates in the world won't change the hardware componants of the camera. 

GoPro actually give a fairly detailed response as to how to use your GoPro for broadcast but it does require you purchase external hardware.  

https://gopro.com/en/gb/news/how-to-use-gopro-for-webcam 

Highlighted
Nomad

I haven't tried this yet, but it may help if you can follow instructions carefully and this should do what you need it to do:

https://youtu.be/WfCuZAr3GeA

GoPro to OBS - bit.ly/gopro2obs AMAZON RTMP TUTORIAL by AnnoyedWithChat https://youtu.be/O0SOYS6_Bnw GoPro to OBS ip address (numbers will vary, replace all ...