Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Using Insta360 Studio to reframe gopro max Windows 10

[ New ]

I have a Windows 10 machine and I do not want to buy Adobe  Premiere to reframe my gopro  max footage.

I've been successful using the Insta360 Studio application for Windows to reframe gopro max footage.

Of course there is still no Windows software available from gopro.

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Using Insta360 Studio to reframe gopro max Windows 10

[ New ]

I think it would put a lot of minds at ease if they had a target date.  Sure deadlines get moved out, but give people a little hope as to when they will see the software!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

I'm sorry, was there a question here or something you need support with?

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing. Will give Insta360 Studio a try. It surprises me that we're having to use a competitors software for editing. I'd think GoPro would have a stronger development team. Oh well...

GoPro

[ New ]

Windows is a fragmented operating system that covers a myriad of home setups. These setups require video encoding and decoding support for spherical media that need to be tested across multiple devices. For this reason, we’re taking a little more time to get things ready to make sure it meets the expectation of our users.

Rest assured, we are planning to add the same level of features for Windows as users with Mac currently get with the GoPro Player.

Thank you for your patience as we work through this and for being a GoPro customer.

Backpacker

[ New ]

I think it would put a lot of minds at ease if they had a target date.  Sure deadlines get moved out, but give people a little hope as to when they will see the software!

Tourist

[ New ]

wainting for a GOPRO player/editor software working on Windows 10, what about insta360 software?

Is it free?

thanks in advance

Tourist

[ New ]

Gopro is a fragmented development team that releases half-baked products on a market expecting better.  Don't blame an operating system for this screw up.  You should have not have released the product without making clear it's APPLE/MAC only.  

Nomad

[ New ]

Again for all users......GoPro is doing a great job, and yes it would be great to have a GoPro windows solution to reframe 360 etc.

However what are you expecting from GoPro? to develop a software that can do the same as Adobe? as Davinci? as Powerdirector? as Magix Video? 

When somebody just wants to edit a small 360 footage and reframe this, then it's easy to do this on your phone. 

(Android or IOS). And when you just want to create a small number of videos and reframe them, you can also use the Insta360 studio software. 

However if you are shooting your 360 footage as example in flat color, low sharpness etc and you want to edit the result in post, you need a video editing software as mentioned above.

I am using with great results for many years the Magix video software and with this i can edit, color correct, create great transitions etc. Next i can combine any footage wheter this is 2D video, photo, 360 video etc. Next I can easily reframe any 360 footage and also create tiny planets. 

Again think about your needs and then choose your right software. I am using the regular Magix video software, and there is no need to purchase the Pro version. 

If in (near) future Gopro will laucn their windows reframing software, i am sure I will combine this with my Magix video software to perform more edits, and to combine all of my footage's that I am using.

I love the GoPro Max a lot and the quality is much better then the Insta360 One X and One R (there are a lot of comparisons available on the web). And by choosing the right software as shared with you, you can truly create great videos.

Backpacker

[ New ]

"Gopro is a fragmented development team that releases half-baked products on a market expecting better.  Don't blame an operating system for this screw up.  You should have not have released the product without making clear it's APPLE/MAC only."

This must be the most laughably ignorant comment I've read yet.

"Don't blame an operating system for this screw up"

No one is blaming an operating system, there's nothing wrong with the operating system, however when that operating system is spread across thousands of devices with hundreds of thousands of possible hardware combinations mutiplied by hundreds of thousands of different regional and system versions resulting in millions upon millions of different hardware and software setups, this means getting software to work on those devices will take longer than it will when you address an OS spread across about 50 different hardware and software combinations.   It's just simple math.

"You should have not have released the product without making clear it's APPLE/MAC only"

It's not for Apple/Mac only.  This fallacy only exists in your head only.  GoPro have released and continue to work on software for both Android and Windows.  Some of us even help with that by being a pro-active member of the development community and reporting bugs and making suggestions for the software.  We don't spend our time sitting on our ass making up lies like a spoiled 5 year old crying "I WANT IT NOW!!!!! WAAAAHHHHHH!!!!".  

So grow up, try to be productive and actually be "helpful".  If you have an issue, ask a question, people will help answer it (that's what support forums are for), but if all you want to do is cry and whine and express your outrage while making false claims... that's what facebook is for.

Tourist

[ New ]

I do want it now.  Know why?  Because I have the camera NOW.  I would not have purchased it if I knew that additional (very expensive) software is required.  Right now I have a camera that takes beautiful footage that is completely USELESS.  So I have a $500 paperweight sitting on my desk.  And yes I'm pissed.  How long do you suggest we wait?  There are posts going back 5 months on this.  You make it sound like it's impossible to write a program in windows, yet THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of them exist and work with no bugs.  How does it take half a year to come up with a solution?  All I'm asking is that PC users get a product that allows us to use the full capabilities of the camera like the MAC users get.   Right now the only solution is to use their COMPETITOR'S product.  How's that?  INSTA 360 can come up with a program but GOPRO can't?  I'd never heard of INSTA 360 before I bought this Max.  But my only option is to use that and sacrifice quality.  Look at the demo videos on gopros page.  95% use features not available to PC users, and no "system requirements" for the app are listed.  Even if it works, I don't care to strain my eyes trying to edit video on a PHONE when I have a VR ready computer sitting on my desk.  Where did I libel GOPRO?  Every statement I made is fact.  I called customer service today and they are VERY aware of the problem.  I bet they get dozens of calls everyday about this.

Hiker

[ New ]

@wiljan5560 

"However what are you expecting from GoPro? to develop a software that can do the same as Adobe? as Davinci? as Powerdirector? as Magix Video? "

- I think most people are expecting something like the GoPro Player, or Insta360 Studio.

"I love the GoPro Max a lot and the quality is much better then the Insta360 One X and One R (there are a lot of comparisons available on the web)"

- As an owner of the One X, this is very debatable. Video quality is nearly equal and, imo, Insta360's Studio gives it the overall lead for PC users.

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx 

As a developer, I rarely have issues developing cross platform and, clearly, Insta360 has had no issue developing 360 editing software for Windows.

I don't understand why you're putting this guy down. He and many others, have perfectly valid concerns regarding GoPro's release of the Max. The majority of users are on PC's, myself included, so we should only expect that GoPro would have something better than the current workflow. If Insta360 can do it, I'm certain GoPro could?

Hiker

[ New ]

I am waiting to decide whether to buy a GoPro MAX or an Insta360 OneR.
Honestly like many of you I am very disappointed with this GoPro way of doing. I have the impression that MAX has been "thrown" into the market in a hurry without having the software ready. Of course MAX's hardware is excellent but the support of the software is not the same: I refer both to the lack of reframing software for windows and to the impossibility of using 360° audio (as widely reported in other posts) for both windows and Mac.

Someone wrote that the GoPro app exists for reframing: yes, ok, it does reframing. But have you ever seen or tried the Insta360 OneR app? It does not "only" reframing but thanks to artificial intelligence (A.I.) it also allows you to automatically keep the frame fixed on a moving subject, plus other things that I am not listing. And we consider that the OneR entered the market only 2 months ago, but everything is ready to take full advantage of its features.

So to conclude: the GoPro MAX is an excellent action cam, but if the software part is not up to par, it can happen that customers move to other parts.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@snowybeach71243 Look, had the guy come along and made a sensible argument, made his point "WITHOUT DRAMATICS!!!!!" and actually acted like an adult I would have actually agreed with him.  GoPro have made some good hardware but bad software  (so very bad...).  They admit they released their camera's expecting other free 360 editors to be available by now (one of their developers words, not mine).  With the competition releasing camera's faster and cheaper, GoPro are actively changing their stance on this.  They have put together teams to develop software and improve current software.  However GoPro are far behind the ball, they are playing catchup and all the really cool bells and whistles have probably been patented by now by other companies.

In this case though we haver a user who didn't bother doing any research, actively lies  "it's APPLE/MAC only" This not only demonstrates his lack of technical awareness regarding the multitude of Windows options out there for him, but also his complete lack of understanding the legal system too.

I don't give wrap up my respect and hand it out to people as a participation prize, respect is earned, and so far this idiot is about as far from earning respect as I am from convincing Paige Lillian to come and dance on the roof of my house (and that's a GoPro joke for those who actually care to do the research).

Yes I can understand people's frustrations, I have been there myself when I first purchased the GoPro Fusion.  It took them nearly 2 years to get going on that one and guess what?  Software is still in development!  Do I think GoPro should be this far behind?  Nope, not at all.  Do I solely blame GoPro for this?  Nope, it was well covered in reviews about the camera regarding lack of software and the expensive options for editing 360 footage.... and I went and bought the camera anyway understanding this (because I did the research first).

In this case GoPro released a camera with limited software support in Windows. 

Does this mean you can't use it in Windows?  No. 

Can you still edit video in Windows?  Yes. 

Do you need non GoPro software to edit it?  Yes. 

Do you need to pay for that software?  It depends on what software you want to use, there are free options available.

Are GoPro working on free software for users for Windows?  Yes

When can we expect it?  From previous experience, about a year and 7 months from now... but hopefully sooner.

Should we stomp our feet and cry because we don't have it now?  No.  No one forced you to buy a camera, it was your own decision to do so, you should take responsability for your own choices.  You should have researched how the camera worked and what software was available for it, you didn't, so you don't get to cry.

Here's maybe a question people should be asking though, it may help...

What can I do to speed up the developement of software for my camera?  you should join the beta developement groups (you can find them on facebook).  You should then load their beta software onto your system and report any bugs that you find.  You can also suggest what tools or functions you'd like to see in the software (and people have been suggesting some great things).  The more helpful input they have, the sooner they can get some good quality software out there.

Nomad

[ New ]

Well mentioned by Irishman....agree fully

There are good solutions already available for those who would like to edit in Windows. 

I am pleased with both my GoPro Max and my editing software combination (Insta360 studio and Magix video).

Agree it would be great if GoPro also offers a editor / reframing software in Windows, but if you perform some research (I have done the same as mentioned in my various replies), then there are already solutions available (both free and paid solutions depending on your needs)

Tourist

[ New ]

Funny, now you resort to name calling.  Let me rephrase to make you happy.  The max SOFTWARE is Apple/Mac only.  I have every right to be livid over this issue.  $500 to me is not chump change.  You suggest I didn't do my research and Caveat Emptor.  On the contrary, I watched several reviews on youtube on the editing process.  I did notice that they were all using MAC, but the gopro site specifically offered the GOPRO player for WINDOWS.  It says it will "Export your 360 footage", but it DOES NOT say that it will NOT reframe it.  You find that out when you try to edit your first video.  Show me where they admit the limits of the software on their sales page and I will retract my statement.  To not do so is borderline fraudulent.

A year and 7 months?  Really?  You suggest we wait patiently?  By then the next iteration will be available.  Completely ridiculous. You're very good at making excuses for them.  Maybe they are hiring (if you don't already work for them)

They make a great product, no doubt.  But they need to make things right. 

Tourist

[ New ]

BTW, if the product for MAC and the product for WINDOWS have the same NAME ("GoPro Player") a normal, rational person would expect them to have the same feature.  That is the crux of the issue.  If you don't agree, then you are the idiot.

Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro is also still advertising 360/spherical audio on their website, yet it's not actually available for use (at least with GoPro Exporter). 

I have been trying to participate in the Beta testing, but they have been un-responsive with issues. I've taken time to send them emails outlining what happened when the beta software crashes (I try to load a 360 file and it closes), along with the logs, and have never received a reply. I followed up, and did not receive a reply. No idea if they've even read my emails...

Nomad

[ New ]

Let mee first say, that also for me 500$ is a lot of money...And No I am totally not working for GoPro at all.

I am just a user and therefor contributing and trying to help my fellow users who purchased the GoPro Max and have questions regarding how to best perform the editing / reframing process in Windows.

So from my point of view I have tried to share my experience, my current way of working with others. It's up to each of us to select their own best of working which is also based on your own needs.

I am sure GoPro will deliver also their own solution and how this will be called down the road, we will learn.

Again try to stay positive and try to learn and share so that we all can improve our way of working. 

If you would like to learn more about my current solution than I am most happy to talk about this further.

For me current the following works the best:

- use the GoPro exporter to convert a 360 file to H264 4K

- then import this file eg into Insta360 studio to create reframed videos or tiny planets 

- Or....use another software like Powerdirector or Magix Video (which I am using) to also reframe etc

best regards from a user who is not frustrated but also learning and sharing

Tourist

[ New ]

I have succeeded in reframing using the app, but have a question.  Do you lose ANY resolution with the android app?  I downloaded, reframed, saved, and then transfered to my computer.  I wasn't knocked out with the results, although the lighting wasn't great and it was just an experiment to see if it worked with my phone.  Is the resolution the same as if I had downloaded direct to a mac and reframed/rendered on the desktop?

It took about 12 minutes to render 2 minutes of footage.  Although I have a large card added to my note 8, there is no way to change the folder it saves to (it automatically saves to internal storage) so you have to immediately move it which is tedious if you're not plugged into a computer to navigate the file system.  Last, my 52 year old eyes struggle with the small screen.

This is why I'm so adamant about a windows version.  My computer could have rendered that in 2-3 minutes and it would be much easier.  But I would rather use the app than lose quality, which is my understanding that you do with insta360.  So, app or insta360?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Funny, now you resort to name calling. 

Glad you see the funny side, everyone should have a sense of humor about these things.  Going along feeling angry and outraged at life will only get you down.

Let me rephrase to make you happy. 

Actually, giving me the winning lotto number would make me happy.  But that's probably too much of an ask...   you could try though!

The max SOFTWARE is Apple/Mac only. 

No it's not, another lie.  Let me point out the TRUTH.  The GoPro Player is Mac only.  The GoPro Exporter is Windows Only.  The GoPro Player allows Mac users to reframe and export, the GoPro Exporter allow Windows users to export 360 footage only.

the gopro site specifically offered the GOPRO player for WINDOWS. 

I'm on the GoPro site now, looking at the software page.  There is no GoPro Player for Windows advertised.  There is a GoPro Player for Max and a GoPro Exporter for Windows.

It says it will "Export your 360 footage", but it DOES NOT say that it will NOT reframe it. 

GoPro Player "Reframe and export for MAX"  MAC.  GoPro Exporter "Export your 360 footage" Windows.  So two very different pieces of software, two very different names.  Two very different claims.  How were you so confused by this?  Should GoPro also be blamed because you didn't get a free elephant with the software?  After all, it does say it doesn't come with a free elephant so you should be entitled to one right?

You find that out when you try to edit your first video. 

No you find it out in the reviews that were released before the camera went on sale where they all said there was no reframing software for Windows other than a pluggin for adobe premier pro.  You also use sound judgement when you see the mac software mentions reframe and export while the windows software mentions export only and reframing isn't mentioned at all.  It's called deductive reasoning.

Show me where they admit the limits of the software on their sales page and I will retract my statement

Should we also investigate GoPro for the following?  Assasination of JFK, The earth being flat and not round, the existence of aliens life?  These are also things that GoPro don't address on their software page.  in fact, their promtional video's show people swimming and diving in Sri Lanka, A person flying an electric glider, Paige Lillian dancing on someone's roof....  I bought a GoPro and none of those things were included in the package.

To not do so is borderline fraudulent.

No, if they showed people editing and reframing with GoPro Software on a Windows PC, that would be fraudulent.  If they showed the camera being magicaly able to fly and hover in place, that would be fraudulent.  There is no borderline in a court of law, it's either fraudulent or it not.  In fact the only reframing shown in their promotional video's was clearly shown using their app, the made a very clear choice to stay away from showing any type of mac or pc editing.  That was probably on their lawyers advice. What you believed after seeing the advertisements was your own assumption.

A year and 7 months?  Really?  You suggest we wait patiently? 

No, I clearly suggested that you join the beta groups to speed up the process.

By then the next iteration will be available. 

And welcome to the wonderful world of owning a GoPro Fusion.  It's only since 2019 that Android users were finally able to get some good use out of the app, Guess what?  We're still waiting on PC software (as the only thing available is GoPro Fusion Studio and you can only export 360 footage or a fixed frame overcapture video).  

You're very good at making excuses for them. 

I'm not making excuses for them, if you paid attention you'd know that.  I'm just pointing out the reality of the situation and you're having a hard time accepting that.  I think people's feedback should be helpful and constructive, not drama queen expressions of rage and full of lies.

Maybe they are hiring (if you don't already work for them)

Oh I'm the last person they'd want woring for them.  I'd tell them to drop the whole "new model every year" routine and get 1 model every two years that's guaranteed to work, stop pushing "GoPro Plus" and hire more people to work on software development, and for f*cks sake, give people the option of a water tight extended battery pack.  Also if you have to have a camera in a supersuit for diving, do away with the "water tight out of the box" and bring back the bus port so people can use the camera on drones. 

They make a great product, no doubt.  But they need to make things right

And that, is the most intelligent agreeable thing you've said here, bravo!  I 100% agree with this.  They need to concentrate on making a camera that everyone can use (mac and windows users alike) and has software superior to the competition.  

Backpacker

[ New ]

But they don't have the same name...   Go to the software page, one is clearly called "GoPro Player" and it's for Mac.  The other is called "GoPro Exporter" and it's for windows.  2 very different names.  

Nomad

[ New ]

Personally I don't have the experience in editing my film in my phone (I have an older phone anyhow).

However what I can share with you, is the following youtube tutorial.

Here you can follow step by step about using an Android phone with the GoPro Max:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ-h0dYqRAU&t=302s

Next another great video is regarding editing any 360 footage with help from the Insta360 studio software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XADuyaU1LA

Note that first you need to create a MP4 file in H264 - 4K through the Gopro exporter software. You can't directly import a .360 file

from the GoPro Max. So first use the Exporter software which you can download through Windows Apps.

The .mov Cineform 5.6K files (which you can also get from the Exporter software), can be imported through a plugin into Adobe (but this is a great but also expensive software).

You can also try to use Davinci Resolve and for this I can recommend the following 2 videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA5A75ey81g&t=67s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUhb52dKBuw

Regarding Magix Video there are also youtube movies available so if you would like to learn this also please let me know

🔔 NEW 360 reframe workflow with Resolve 17: https://youtu.be/CWw2DaXC7OU (also FREE)Finally, a complete FREE professional solution for reframing 360 videos ...
Davinci meets GoPro MAX and they have finally fallen in love! Thanks to the awesome wingman Reframe360!Reframe360 is a free plugin for Davinci Resolve which ...
Insta360 ONE X Sample Footage http://bit.ly/33oD5DRInsta360 Studio 2019 and ONE X LUT http://bit.ly/2AV5vcmPremiere Pro CC Free Trial http://bit.ly/2TKMHDY36...
Android GoPro App http://bit.ly/2HeBgjLiOS GoPro App https://apple.co/2SFOsn2360 Camera Accessories I Recommend https://bit.ly/36puiUF▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬VI...
Tourist

[ New ]

I've looked back at the website and must admit I was wrong.  The programs are not the same name, and they never explicitly implied that the windows version would reframe video.

However, I was not the only person who made the assumption.  I would say it is deliberately ambiguous, as you say they specifically avoid showing any desktop editing.  A person buying their first 360 camera most likely doesn't know what "reframing" is and the importance it has to editing the footage.  Who would think a major player like GoPro would offer software for MAC users without a comparable product for PC users?

OK, I was stung and admit you are correct.  DId they really think the average user would be happy about this?  I didn't read the "fine print" but that doesn't make me feel any better about it.  I'm still left with an inferior experience to the MAC users even though I paid the same amount.  They receive something everyone else who bought the camera did not.  Can't say that's very fair.

Hiker

[ New ]

The transition between the various software is very clear and simple.

The only really annoying thing is that with GoPro MAX Exporter it is mandatory to convert a entire movie even if maybe the interesting part is only a small amount: all this leads to a significant waste of time and resources of the PC to perform a useless conversion.

But if there are no other solutions, I believe that those who use windows with a GoPro MAX must necessarily do this if they do not want to use the smartphone to export only part of the video.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, well, it's nothing compared to the amount of people who did a trade up deal and then suddenly start asking "Where's my free SD card?".  It's a sad fact, but just because one doesn't read the small print, doesn't mean it doesn't apply.

I cannot begin to express how.......   irritated...  I was...   that android users were left out in the cold when it came to using the GoPro Fusion compared to iPhones.  Not only did I have a paperweight for a camera, I had to buy a whole new PC setup just to run the available editing software.  When the GoPro Max was announced (with stitching in camera) I felt for sure that Fusion owners would be left behind for good.  However, to their credit, GoPro's updated android software does support both camera's.  Their new Windows software (in the works) is supposed to do the same.

I don't blame you for being unhappy with your GoPro experience and I can only hope that when the software comes to fruition it will be worth the wait, but it being in the first stages of a beta, I think it's going to be a while.  Hopefully not a year and 7 months (that's how long it took for the Android app to get up to scratch BUT in all fairness, they didn't have the resources behind it at the time).  Be aware, we both agree that this is GoPro's fault.  They released hardware without proper software support and that's just bad for the user and bad for the company.

In the meantime, I would suggest you use the alternatives for editing.  They do the job and depending on what you put into it (time and money), the better the results you'll get out of your footage.  You've got the camera, time to make it work for you.  Try to also look on the bright side of all of this.  You'll have to start using other software to get the types of shots that you want and will probably end up becoming quite good at using them.  This means that when the GoPro Software comes to fruition, I'm guessing it will be quite limited in what it offers, so you'll be ahead of the curve when it comes to getting better shots and including effects which new users will be scratching their heads over.

So stay positive, keep the blood pressure low and go do the things that other people haven't figured out yet.  Most importantly of all though, ignore egotistical name calling GoPro defenders who want to keep you down because those guys are the worst.....

Smiley Wink

Hiker

[ New ]

dude did you even try insta360`?? are you aware that u must convert this videos in a lower resolution like 4k to be able to stitch them for example?? its funny that you even defend gopro because they dont properly support their product. if i pay 500€ for a camera i want to be able to get the full quality from it too! if i always first have to compress them from 5.6k to 4k then its **bleep**ing **bleep**!!