Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Using GoPro for photos

[ Edited ]

I have my GoPro mounted on the front of by road bicycle and would like to use it to take photos. The easiest way I have found to do this (I cant see the sceeen where it is mounted) is to power on (default mode is set to Photos), listen for the beeps and then use the shutter button to take shots. Auto shut down is set to 5 minutes so If I press the shutter and do not hear a beep then I reach for the power button again. Problem is that when riding it is sometimes hard to hear the beeps and I end up switching modes and making other errors. Also , the battery doesn't last very long because the unit stays on for 5 minutes everytime I take a photo.

What would be easier would be if QuikCapture could be set for photos, as well as time lapse or video. That way you could just point and shoot, no fuss. Is it possible this feature could be introduced?

Does anyone else have any ideason how to simplify this process, perhaps using a Telesin remote?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Using GoPro for photos

Most people just use the Quick Capture Time lapse mode. As described above, just press and hold for a few seconds and the camera will begin taking pictures. If you press the shutter again it will power off. You should have enough time after the first picture to press the shutter to turn off the time lapse so you don't end up with a series of photos.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

@ralphnimbin, when the camera is off and QuikCapture is enabled, you can turn the camera on and immediately begin capturing video or Time Lapse photos just by pressing the shutter/Select button.

Press once for video, press and hold for a few seconds for Time Lapse photos. Press again to stop recording and power off the camera.

Highlighted
Explorer

Most people just use the Quick Capture Time lapse mode. As described above, just press and hold for a few seconds and the camera will begin taking pictures. If you press the shutter again it will power off. You should have enough time after the first picture to press the shutter to turn off the time lapse so you don't end up with a series of photos.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]
Hi, appreciate the responses. I have tried using time lapse via quikconnect and while it works most of the time i find having to hold the button down is a bit hit and miss. Many times it goes to video mode instead. When i press the shutter again to stop recording it is again inconsistent. Sometimes i dont get it right and it keeps recording and kills the battery.

I know that these techniques work when you are sitting down in a quiet space but when you're charging down a road with bumps and noise its not reliable. It would be great if there was a simple method to just take a photo. The remotes seem like the only option but it requires two devices for a task that should only take one. Cheers