Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Using GoPro 7 with an external mic and power supply for recording long distance trips

I was thinking of buying a GoPro Hero 7 Black with the intention to capture long distance road trips.

Just a few questions:

1. I plan to power the camera from the car and at the same time use an external microphone. Is this possible with the mic adapter?
  2. Is there a case that holds the mic adapter in place or is it supposed to hang and move around?
  3. Is it possible to disable charging, while the camera is connected to the external power supply in order to protect the battery itself and the camera from overheating?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Explorer

Re: Using GoPro 7 with an external mic and power supply for recording long distance trips

1) Yes
2) You can get a third party case if you want. or you can just let it hang. Velcro strips also work as well as rubber bands. There are plenty of cheap cases like this one on Amazon.com ULANZI V2 Protective Housing Case Vlogging Frame Cage with Microphone Cold Shoe Mount Compatible for GoPro Hero 7 6 5 Vlog Setup Action Camera Accessories
3) Best practice is to just remove the battery when externally powered.
Adventurer

Re: Using GoPro 7 with an external mic and power supply for recording long distance trips

I own  a case, I also rummberband it, need me t odemonstrate, just ask, when I see hte  thread with a reply I shall

1 you take the ext adapter place on the bottom in the back of the tripod, Place the loop of the bad around right side and  r around tripod adapter and loop around left side, you may  lap i it around  the left side again , I been doing that day one,

2  No switch, remove the battery, plug in the external power good to go.

Now  this is where   you  need to know the downside of the products.

External Power, and no battery will cause outof synck in Audio, the fix will be editing, or   removal and replacement of mic while recording,   A Issue wit hteh promic when recording with Quick capture any  Non-powered mic will lose Audio if used. and you will need torecord with the mode On . keeping the camera on at all times.   with external power  you may not get extended  recording times the camera may shut down.   Users  like me have had the Imput mic   N/a.  a camera replacement is the fix. there is no firmware to fix a N/A  imput, and gopro is well aware of this issue. when can it happen any time, 

If you  have no problems with any of the issues   I stop and ask , or read up in the forum here there are a few tops  about this. aud sound synch, and ext power. 

hope this info was helpful, not here to scare you I have three cameras and sure it can happen,.

The ULTIMATE vloggers audio rig for GoPro hero 7

Tourist

@danielr15 
@fishycomics 

Thanks for the replies!

Removing the battery would probably cause time and date and maybe other settings to get reset regularly, as a car's power supply is off when a car is not running.

Also it would be a bit of a problem to remove the camera for its enclosure in order to take the battery out and then again to put it in after finishing recording.

How badly does the camera overheat with the battery installed when connected to an external power supply? Will it cause freeze ups relatively regularly?

Adventurer

internal memory  will not rease  gonna set up a Livestream. I removed my bat so withing a few minutes  that will answer that and I'll show some temps with it on external power

Adventurer

Tourist

[ Edited ]

Won't time and date get erased after some time with the battery removed and external power turned off? A car does not supply power when it's parked.

Also nice demonstration of the temperatures, but would the camera get significatly hotter if you hadn't removed the battery while connected to the extenral power source?
If the difference is significant then removing the battery is really important.

Explorer

It takes several days without any power for date/time to get reset, so I doubt that will be much of an issue.  Heat can be a problem, but if you keep the vehicle cool, you should be ok.  Do you need continuous recording for hours on end?  That's a tremendous amount of media to have to sort through when editing.  If yes, then a proper dash cam might be a better solution.  If not, I wouldn't be too concerned.