Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Updated to 1.5 and cannot set up Hero 9 Black.

[ New ]

I was able to reset to factory, but  now I cannot get anything at all set up.  Back screen keeps going on and off.  When I hold the power button, it might start over.  I can almost finish getting the date in, when the screen once again goes black on me.  On top of that, it keeps beeping.  I've had this awhile, and could never get it working right.  And this is the first time I've ever heard the beeps.  A real pain in the neck.  Is it possible to get phone support?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Updated to 1.5 and cannot set up Hero 9 Black.

[ New ]

@cjthelders, in addition, make sure that a recommended SD card is used for your camera. You can also try formatting the SD card. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @cjthelder

How was the last update done?

Please proceed with a manual update. See https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks.  It was a manual uupdate, following the instructions on that page.  I copied the "update" folder (after it was extracted) to my card and then put it into the GoPro 9.  Settings on the camera show that it is version 1.5, so I'm pretty sure therefore that I got it right.

However, I can't even get the time set, because as I'm doing so the screen goes blank and won't let me finish.  It's very difficult if not impossible to get the screen to let me do anything at all.  Taps have no results.  Swipes have no results.

I"ve tried holding the  power button for 15-30 seconds, hoping to shut it down.  No luck.  I've removed the battery (fresh) but nothing good comes of that on re-insertion.

In fact, the other day, before having done the update, I had no problem with this at all.  But then I had other problems that I won't get into.  I  got home after a day of fishing using my chesty that I had nothing on the card, although it seemed like it was working.

Perhaps I should try a fresh update once again?  I'm open to trying anything.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @cjthelder

Yes, please try running the update again.

Should it still be the same, let out Support Team check on this further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks, but no luck with the re-update.  So I will contact them in a few days (I'm out of reach for a day or two).

GoPro

[ New ]

@cjthelders, in addition, make sure that a recommended SD card is used for your camera. You can also try formatting the SD card. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.) 

If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the tip on re-formatting the disc, which I did.  I was able to set up the camera itself afterwards, although it is rather a pesky project.  At times it will close the window while setting the date, forcing me to reture to the start all over again.  But I finally did it.

I'll get to setting up my phone app later, and then try it out in real time one day next week.

I'm not a big user.  Used to do a lot of photography with heavyier 33mm stuff, but had to get rid of all of it because of my age and arthritic neck (could not carry it any more), so am giving this a try.

Thanks again.

GoPro

[ New ]

@cjthelder, thanks for posting back with an update. Let us know if anything else comes up.