Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Unsupported file type

[ New ]

I'm trying to download three MP4 files from a series of jpg and MP4s, but the GoPro app doesn't recognise them, and the Mac Photos app can't open, calling them 'Unsupported file types'.

All of the other jpgs and MP4s from the day have downloaded fine.

I can watch these three MP4 files on my GoPro Hero8, but cannot access them on my Mac in either the GoPro app or Mac Photos app.

Help, please.

Backpacker

Re: Unsupported file type

[ New ]

What is the "GoPro App" for Mac?

The only desktop software I know for Mac was discontinued over 3 years ago, is no longer supported and is seriously out of date.  I'm of course referring to GoPro Quik for desktop.  

It's more than likely your video's were recorded in HEVC format and this is not supported by GoPro Quik for desktop.  It's may also be a case of you not having HEVC codecs on your system either.

Sightseer

[ New ]

@demonviewllc Many thanks for the reply. Any idea what I might have done to corrupt four MP4 files when all of the others are fine?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Who mentioned anything about your files being corrupt?

Here's a quick way to check them.

Find one of your files that doesn't play, upload it to YouTube.  See if it plays back on youtube.

If it plays back, the file is fine, it's your Mac that's the problem.

If the file doesn't play back, then you have an issue with your files and they are corrupt.

Please note that the GoPro app for Mac (which is 3 years out of date, unsupported and discontinued) doesn't support HEVC files.