Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Unreadable files

Hi there 

I've got a goPro hero session 4, I'm trying to view my footage from the goPro on my laptop but all of the files (bar 3) are unreadable. I was able to view some of the videos on playback on the phone app, but I can't view these on my laptop now either. Any help with this would be much appreciated! 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Unreadable files

@flissmas - What tool are you using to import the files? Quik for Desktop should import the files without issue, but other importers can convert the files into new formats. You can also pull the files directly off of the SD card using your file manager without going through an import process.

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

Are all of the files transferred over to the computer or are you trying to read them from the SD card.

For best results, download Quick Desktop App to your computer and use it to transfer the files to your computer.
https://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp/quik-%7C-desktop/Quik-Desktop.html
The default import location will be C:\users\[your name]\pictures\GoPro

If you have transferred the files over there are a couple of things that might be happening. First, your laptop might not be able to playback the videos in the resolution/fps you filmed in. This probably isn't it since the Session (not Hero5 Session) doesn't record in resolutions above 1440. However since you were able to view the files on your phone, it leads me to think it's the device you are trying to play the files on.

The other possibility is the files are corrupted somehow. Unlikely since you viewed them on your phone, however you do want to make sure you are using one of these cards to get the best performance https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations
Tourist

Hi danielr15, thank you for your reply 

I have transferred the files over to Quik Desktop but the file are still unreadable. Many of the videos and photos aren't showing up, or are appearing to have no content - showing the video length as 0:00. I've attached two examples of what I can see when I'm trying to view the files.

The SD card I used isn't listed on that list, but throughout filming there was never an error message to warn me that the SD card was incompatible? and as 3 of the videos worked and some work on my phone - I'm very confused!

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 16.11.13.png
Tourist

It won't let me see photos or videos and when I try to import it comes up with this error message:

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 16.24.26.png
Hiker

I give you useful answer. If you say some video files are unreadable in PC, readable in GoPro/phone, then you can  recover low-resolution variant of the corresponding MP4 files, it has same file name but, extension LRV intstead of MP4. 800x480. Better than nothing.

GoPro Community Manager

@flissmas - What tool are you using to import the files? Quik for Desktop should import the files without issue, but other importers can convert the files into new formats. You can also pull the files directly off of the SD card using your file manager without going through an import process.

Jeff