Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Underwater With GoPro Fusion

So you are saying you have had no issues with the latch hinges at all?  Where did you get yours from and when?  I have gone through 3 of these from Amazon and New Frog from July 2018 to now :(

Sightseer

Pretty disappointed with the quality of underwater and especially the stitching! Blurry as I’ve ever seen, however take beautiful pictures outside of water
Explorer

Just an update, still no issues with my Fusion Housing (other than increased stitch line and no improvement underwater). I'm in no way trying to endorse this housing, just wanted to share my experience in case anyone is thinking of trying it. For me, it's worth it (especially when my kid knocks it out of my hand).
Tourist

GoPro have left it too late, Insta360 have just launched their One X - which has a 30m dive housing from day 1.

I'm sure it will be visible, like the Theta V housing, but at least we have now a 5.7k 6axis stablised camera for underwater.

Hiker

I agree with consensus from previous posters: Fusion produces poor quality underwater VR video and stills. 

I thought it might improve with underwater housing..

To test this, I attached clear acrylic half domes over each lens.  I used silicone adhesive to ensure waterproof.  

My prototype modification withstood both swimming pool and ocean. 

Unfortunately the image quality remained poor.

I suspect the only solution would be the previously mentioned 360 Bubble / fish bowl.

- Craig

Hiker

My experience using 360 Bubble in Indonesia. 360 Bubble handicraft device, but unfortunately there are no analogues.

Cons of use

1)A very inconvenient design in terms of use, despite the fact that the bolts are tightened very strongly, the bubble leaks.Not much, but some water accumulates at the bottom of the device.

2)The camera works in the device for 20-30 minutes, then overheats and freezes.And this is always the last video after cooling the device goes through the recovery process. Rather, it refers to the minuses of the camera itself, the device overheats very quickly, but in the underwater home it happens even faster.

3)A very long process of preparing the device to work, I mean tightening the bolts.

4)Be sure to use the remote control, otherwise there may be problems if you will be recording long video clips.

5)Sometimes the video had a lower resolution after stitching in GoPro Fusion Studio 1.3 This happened several times and with what it is unclear.

6) It is necessary to use 5 kg of lead weight to ensure immersion to the bottom for physically strong people, because every time you have to lift the whole structure above the water to turn on or turn off the camera using the remote control

7)360 Bubble Scratches Fast

However, there are no other alternatives and the video quality in this device under water is the best.

Highlighted
Hiker

foggysurf, 

Thanks for sharing.  

You helped me decide to build my own.  

- Craig

Hiker

Подводное видео в формате VR 360 снятое на острове Бали на домашнем рифе отеля Bondalem Beach Club VR 360 underwater video - house reef of the Bondalem Beach Club hotel - Bali -Indonesia camera Gopro Fusion.