Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Backpacker

Underwater With GoPro Fusion

[ New ]

So I have a quick question might be silly but GoPro Fusion is waterproof correct?

And I haven't seen many videos underwater? Can someone share some to see? 

Thanks! 

Backpacker

Re: Underwater With GoPro Fusion

[ New ]

although Fusion is waterproof, it doens't work well in water. The water changes the viewing angles so the 2 lenses don't stitch up correctly. It does warn of this on the GoPro website

Backpacker

[ New ]
@duanem8 Thanks!! With other VR rigs I’ve used them above sync the camera and then go underwater. Do you think the Fusion will be the same?
Backpacker

[ New ]

i doubt it tbh, from the videos I've seen the results have been terrible. I have heard of someone working on a waterproof case that will solve the distortion issue. I've heard it looks like a big fishbowl you put Fusion in, so not the prettiest of things

Backpacker

[ New ]
I recall GoPro doing a video of it underwater for a quick minute at the GoPro Event last year. Friends with the media creator @gopro so I’ll see what the team did to make theirs look good.
Anonymous

[ New ]

i tried capturing some shallow scuba video and the resolution is terrible with three different fusions. my 1 year old nikon key mission 360 is much better. is there a firmware upodate that may improve this?

Backpacker

[ New ]

@Anonymous I keep hearing that but haven't seen any videos of looking bad 🤷🏼‍♂️

So trying to find users with videos, and they might have an update since CES has some updates hopefully 

like every year they do. And it maybe Protune doing that or the bit rate is low and looks bad. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

check this one i put on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YupMtW1Vbmk

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Backpacker

[ New ]

@Anonymous That seems a bit odd the video had a box looking in the video lines. 

Is that a sync issue? And seems odd like it's out of focus. Did you start filming

first uderwater or above? How'd the GoPro team do it? https://youtu.be/k86Z7dkUSE4

@danielr15 Do you have the Fusion? 

ezgif-5-99b4d7a184.gif

Subscribe To See The Latest Content- https://goo.gl/HAKfdiOur Website | Check Out Even More- http://chrisediting.comRequest Tips & Trick Videos: http://www.j...
Explorer

[ New ]

@chrisediting

No Fusion for me yet.  Planning on it, but it's taking a lower priority in the family budget at the moment. Hopefully by summer.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@chrisediting that clarity is what i would expect from a gopro. i started that youtube test footage underwater. i have since started out of water (footage looks good), and once in the water it looks blurry still.  am i missing some simple setting change? i have had similar results on 3 fusions.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@danielr15 Very true. Family First. lol

@Anonymous Yeah, and that video sample I posted is from GoPro when it came out!

And yeah maybe underwater doesn't work perfect. They might have some setting hidden

in the menu that will fix this, or did they put something on the camera, like tape or something. 

I'm gonna reach out to a few friends that are in the media team and see what they did. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I found this: Are There Dive Filters Available for Fusion?

Question
Are there dive filters available for Fusion?
Where does it apply?
  • Fusion
Answer
No, there are no dive filters available for Fusion. Though waterproof to 5m (16'), we do not recommend capturing footage with Fusion while submerged, as the camera utilizes spherical lenses. Submerged video and photo footage will exhibit extreme distortion due to the properties of shooting through spherical lenses while underwater.  

https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/are-there-dive-filters-available-for-fusion

Anonymous

[ New ]
i feel like the product info should be a little clearer that these shouldn't be used for underwater filming...
Backpacker

[ New ]

@Anonymous That's a funny article tbh.

I don't know why they would show a video

on a promotional video or product release video and say don't do it. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

@Anonymous@duanem8 After talking and asking a few friends that have been using the Fusion underwater have some pros and cons. 

So they said, with just the Fusion going underwater it seems to over distort. For examples if the glass of the HERO5 or 6 was removed

it would do the same thing underwater the Fusion is doing. So after a few tricks this might make you laugh but a fish bowl a real glass

one might help do the job and some after effects can help but without a case it will distort for most users. 

Untitled00.jpeg

Anonymous

[ New ]

Jeb Corliss has uploaded some underwater 360 photos and videos to instagram and youtube. The footage looks great! No idea what type of housing he is using on his fusion but that gives us an answer, there is an underwater fusion housing, I've searched everywhere for something like that but haven't found anything yet. Hopefully gopro will release some official housing soon.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

So it seems that the housing used by Jeb is a custom made two piece glass dome where the two pieces are bolted together along the stitch line.

Such as shame, I really really want to get a Fusion, even now to have a go with it, learn how to use it and then take it diving (>30m)

But with no official confirmation of a housing and the options avaible limited to 10m, it seems the Fusion is not for me

Anonymous

[ New ]

If there is enough interest I might push forward with building a dive housing. I am not 100% certain it is possible to build a true dive housing that does not showup in the stitch because lenses are offset. I built one for my Gear360 a while back, it was pretty straight forward though (photo attached, yah it is dirty, I have not used it in ages). It is alot of work with CAD and then milling it out on a CNC. I have plans on doing it after I finish my underwater seagrass/coral maping rig, might push it up if lots of interest.

Let me know

gear360 housing.jpg
Explorer

[ New ]
Definitely interested, especially if it can be attached to a GoPro mount. Currently the only option available to people is the Bubble, so you probably have enough of a market to make it worth your time.

How much do you think you'll be asking?
Tourist

[ New ]
I’d be very interested too.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I just bought this one from amazon - hopefully it will work for me:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQLS416/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P3MCCIAGY100&psc=1

Tourist

[ New ]

Been following that dive housing on Amazon, so far very very bad reviews - seems the latch is defective.

Any luck with it?

Explorer

[ New ]
I actually saw the same reviews and then backed out of the purchase. Seems like a lot of money on something that it's getting such bad reviews. It went out of stock for a few days and is now back up. I wonder if they fixed the latch issue...

Since I plan to use it for surfing, I really can't afford to have the door pop open. If this case does work, seems it will be easy to copy, perhaps by a more reliable company (GoPro I'm looking to you!).
Explorer

[ New ]
So, I caved and purchased the housing. No problems with the latch, although it dose look a little flimsy and reviews make me probably overly cautious when opening and closing the housing.

I took some video and photos with the Fusion inside and then outside of the housing. When in the housing, 90% of the image looks nearly identical to the Fusion outside of the case. However, there is a very noticeable blue tint on one stitch line. I plan on going surfing in the morning and will test it out underwater in the ocean. I wont be doing any deep diving for awhile but the swell is pretty mild so I should be able to get some decent underwater shots, maybe 8-10' down.

It's a shame there isn't any competitors making this case (mainly GoPro). If there were other options I'd return this case to test them out. The blue tint isn't a deal breaker for me as I use my footage for 2D edits and I can easily avoid the small area with blue tint. However, for vr it's definitely not ideal.

When I get a chance I'll post some photos and video.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Let me add that the black plastic pieces for the latch keep breaking. Other than that it provides superior protection for the lenses, etc.
Explorer

[ New ]
So I just got back from surfing and have checked out some of the footage on my Samsung Galaxy S7.

The Good:
1) No issues with the latch. It seems sturdy enough, although I am being a little more cautious with it.
2) Having the case makes me feel much more secure playing rough with this camera
3) There was a clear plastic film on the case. Once I took it off, I haven't seen the blue tint on the stitch line
4) Having the camera in the case, I was able to reduce water drops by spitting and wiping saliva on the glass covering the lenses.

The bad:
1) As should be expected, audio is severely diminished and muffled
2) Still susceptible to water drops, which completely ruins footage (although not nearly as bad as without the case, and not as often)
3) Stitch lines noticable once the camera got wet, although Fusion Studio might correct it, we'll see
4) The case didn't seem to improve under water footage much, but lighting was bad (overcast sky) and the water wasn't very clear so it wasn't a great test.

Overall I'd say the case is worth getting for the extra protection (if you don't need the audio) and if you are using it for water activity above the water. It's a little expensive so you might want to ship around. There is one on New Frog for half the price https://www.newfrog.com/product/waterproof-protective-cover-underwater-diving-case-housing-for-gopro...
I've never purchased anything from them so I don't know how reliable the site is.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I completely agree with everything you said!  I have a tracking number from them so it is on the way to me.  I will let you all know the outcome.  I should get it sometime next week.

Explorer

[ New ]

Here are a few screenshots. I've found Fusion Studio does a much better job rendering and stitching the files, so these aren't the best examples (work and kids have gotten in the way of me being able to see down at the computer). Also, the Fusion is mounted about an inch from the board, so the misalignment of the stitch and the surfboard is to be expected.

Screenshot_20180815-105004_GoPro.jpgScreenshot_20180815-104533_GoPro.jpg

Screenshot_20180815-105449_GoPro.jpg

Screenshot_20180815-105145_GoPro.jpg

Explorer

[ New ]
If delivery from New Frog is reliable, I'll probably pic up a second. Over time the glass on these cases tend to get pitted from the sea water (from past experience with waterproof housing for GoPro Hero cameras). I'd like to have one case for out of water activities (mountain biking, motorcross in the dunes, rock climbing, etc) and one for use in the ocean.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Well, just so you know, I believe it is the same manufacturer, but cheaper because it comes directly from China.  I just think the latch part will keep breaking unless it is addressed.

Hiker

[ New ]

I hope that the Chinese will start making underwater houses for gopro fusion like 360bubble. I would like a smaller case size and a lower price for the product. Can someone found an equivalent  360bubble?

Tourist

[ New ]

Anyone used the newfrog (?) underwater housing for scuba diving yet?

Explorer

[ New ]

I have the case (overpaid on Amazon).

And in this video Fusion is in the case (stitch lines are more visible because video was entirely compiled/edit with mobile app)

Explorer

[ New ]
Be sure to set the resolution playback to at least 1080p on the videos above or it wont look good.
Explorer

[ New ]
It wont work any better for scuba than the Fusion without a case (except for the added protection). I think the only way to get a good underwater 360 video/Photo with Fusion is with something like The 360Bubble.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Okay, I am waiting for a replacement from New Frog.  My latch broke on the 2nd use!  It is the same exact manufacturer on Amazon.  It does nothing better underwater period trust me been diving all summer.  But I will say if they fix the latch issue (black plastic hinges) definitely worth getting because it protects the camera lenses completely.  Hope this helps.

Hiker

[ New ]

Do not buy these protective boxes like on Amazon.I got such a box today and I did a test. The result is this, the seam after stitching is very noticeable and I do not recommend using this protective case. I think that the wrong geometry of the glass that protects the lens, the fault

Bought here

https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/45/32906514615.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5e1a33edNp3Zmo

Explorer

[ New ]

I think it really just depends on what you're filming. For me, when I'm surfing, mountain biking, or just out with the family, I'm fine with a little distortion at the stitch line. The added protection is a fair trade off for me. In the videos I posted, I don't give an opinion, just show the results. People can make up their own mind whether they want to purchase the protective case or not.

As far as durability, I still haven't had any issues with the latch, so perhaps it was just the first manufacturer batch that had this issue.

Anonymous

[ New ]

So you are saying you have had no issues with the latch hinges at all?  Where did you get yours from and when?  I have gone through 3 of these from Amazon and New Frog from July 2018 to now :(

Sightseer

[ New ]
Pretty disappointed with the quality of underwater and especially the stitching! Blurry as I’ve ever seen, however take beautiful pictures outside of water
Explorer

[ New ]
Just an update, still no issues with my Fusion Housing (other than increased stitch line and no improvement underwater). I'm in no way trying to endorse this housing, just wanted to share my experience in case anyone is thinking of trying it. For me, it's worth it (especially when my kid knocks it out of my hand).
Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro have left it too late, Insta360 have just launched their One X - which has a 30m dive housing from day 1.

I'm sure it will be visible, like the Theta V housing, but at least we have now a 5.7k 6axis stablised camera for underwater.

Hiker

[ New ]

I agree with consensus from previous posters: Fusion produces poor quality underwater VR video and stills. 

I thought it might improve with underwater housing..

To test this, I attached clear acrylic half domes over each lens.  I used silicone adhesive to ensure waterproof.  

My prototype modification withstood both swimming pool and ocean. 

Unfortunately the image quality remained poor.

I suspect the only solution would be the previously mentioned 360 Bubble / fish bowl.

- Craig

Hiker

[ New ]

My experience using 360 Bubble in Indonesia. 360 Bubble handicraft device, but unfortunately there are no analogues.

Cons of use

1)A very inconvenient design in terms of use, despite the fact that the bolts are tightened very strongly, the bubble leaks.Not much, but some water accumulates at the bottom of the device.

2)The camera works in the device for 20-30 minutes, then overheats and freezes.And this is always the last video after cooling the device goes through the recovery process. Rather, it refers to the minuses of the camera itself, the device overheats very quickly, but in the underwater home it happens even faster.

3)A very long process of preparing the device to work, I mean tightening the bolts.

4)Be sure to use the remote control, otherwise there may be problems if you will be recording long video clips.

5)Sometimes the video had a lower resolution after stitching in GoPro Fusion Studio 1.3 This happened several times and with what it is unclear.

6) It is necessary to use 5 kg of lead weight to ensure immersion to the bottom for physically strong people, because every time you have to lift the whole structure above the water to turn on or turn off the camera using the remote control

7)360 Bubble Scratches Fast

However, there are no other alternatives and the video quality in this device under water is the best.

Hiker

[ New ]

foggysurf, 

Thanks for sharing.  

You helped me decide to build my own.  

- Craig

Hiker

[ New ]
Подводное видео в формате VR 360 снятое на острове Бали на домашнем рифе отеля Bondalem Beach ClubVR 360 underwater video - house reef of the Bondalem Beach ...
Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi fellows:

What is maximum depth you use the bubble 360ª? I have to do a 360º Filming at 13/15 meter depth. Specs say that is only for using until -10 meters, but perhaps the bubble tolerates this extra pressure.

Cheers!

Tourist

[ New ]

I tried the housing available on Amazon (link) and the result wasn't great.  After a dive at 20m max depth, there was a noticeable amount of water inside the housing.  I can't tell whether the leak is through the seal or the buttons.  Also, after opening and closing the latch a few times, a piece of the black plastic latch broke off.  I've requested a refund from Amazon and sending it back.

Without any housing, the Fusion is very much limited to 5m depth.  Even at around 4m or so, I noticed that the shutter button is stuck in the depressed position, most likely due to pressure at depth, and I wasn't able to start recording in video mode.