Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Unable to play videos recorded with GoPro Hero7 Black

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply, @othello79uk. Which type of SanDisk card are you using? Is it Ultra, Extreme, Pro? It may have come with the package from the store where you purchased your camera from but please note that not all SD cards work compatibly with GoPros, even if it may work well with other cameras or devices. This is why we have a recommended list of cards. 

Also, were you able to test as suggested in my previous post? How did it go? 

Thank you for reply.

It's SanDisk Ultra. Reason why I test it with Tactacam 5.0 was identical video settings ( 4k at 30fps ). If is so essential for correct function certain accesories, shouldn't be as part of the kit? 

Gopro Quik app can't see those corrupted videos at all.  I reuploaded it back to camera and on the camera showing message "Unable to view".

I tried to use HandBrake to repair files but was unsuccesfull. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Ultra cards are known to cause issues when used in the GoPro that is why they are not recommended. They may work initially but eventually, issues like what you observed happen. 

Where did you buy the camera from? The kit may have been put together by the store or retailer you purchased the camera from. If purchasing from GoPro, the bundles include SanDisk Extreme cards. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Ultra cards are known to cause issues when used in the GoPro that is why they are not recommended. They may work initially but eventually, issues like what you observed happen. 

Where did you buy the camera from? The kit may have been put together by the store or retailer you purchased the camera from. If purchasing from GoPro, the bundles include SanDisk Extreme cards. 

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I bought it from ( wasn't able to find invoice ). Definetely it wasn't GoPro store. 

I used Hero 7 about 5 times since new. I had same problem from beginning but thought reason was incorrected data transfer so last time was following guide step by step and still found 75% data corrupted. I tested card using same settings ( 4K at 30fps ) in different camera after, to check if is problem in SD and found no issues with videos from another camera. 

My only aim is recover family videos. It will be really greatfull if someone can help me with that. As I mentioned previously, tried HandBrake and it doesn't work for those files.

GoPro

[ New ]

@othello79uk, unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data. However, you may be able to perform a Google search to find various data recovery options to recover the footage that had been lost. Yet, please do your research on whichever data recovery software is best for you as it may require activation of the software and there may be varying costs. 

For further assistance, we recommend reaching out to the SD card manufacturer to troubleshoot the SD card. 

Hiker

[ New ]

So I found few similar topics on this forum where Gopro owners with unreadable videos found that eu.restore.media can recover files. They recover some of the files partially ( 10% ) for 19.23USD. I would like thanks to guys from other topics with same problem for finding solution to recover files. 

Ordered memory card from Gopro website exactly as recommended SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC. Formatted card using gopro hero black and recorded few ( glad that they was not important ) and found corrupted again. This experience cost me additional £44.99 with exactly same results as before.

When I try charge gopro hero black, I noticed that charge wasn't sufficient found that original cable which come with camera is faulty. Cable is with gopro marking come with camera in box ( I believe is original gopro accesories ). Cable never left table where been charging my Gopro hero black in total 11 times within one year. Because I had same problems with videos from beginning it's clear that already come broken from factory because original package doesn't show any signs of the damage.

Conclusion: Get DJI Osmo Action, because I never had single problem with DJI products.