Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Unable to play videos recorded with GoPro Hero7 Black

[ New ]

Recorded 4 videos today. All same format same setting.

Using app to download videos as per instruction. Memory card is 16Gb Sandisc which come with camera.

App downloaded all videos ( visible through file comander ) but Gopro quick can see only one video.

Trying to play rest of the videos with VLC and QuickTime but no succes. Only able to play that one video visible trough Gopro quick.

Have same problem before but I though I'm doing something wrong so now I followed instruction step by step and still GoPro somehow managed corrupted 75% videos.

GoPro

Re: Unable to play videos recorded with GoPro Hero7 Black

[ New ]

Hi @othello79uk,

Question, can you play the video on your camera?

If you have a mobile phone, can you play the video using your phone?

If you have other computer try to check if it will play using other computer. 

Also may I know the exact settings is the video. 

You may also upload the RAW (Original) file to any cloud storage so that we could check. 

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your reply. I didn't play video on the camera so not sure. When finished taking video I plugged gopro into laptop using provided cable and downloaded all videos using GoPro Quik.

After downloading all videos and pictures been deleted from camera. 

Didn't tried play video through phone before has been deleted from camera.

Tried on MacBook with same results.

Video setting are:

2.7K 30fps 4:3

Please give some email for file access at dropbox.

Thank you,

Oto

Adventurer

[ New ]

16gb card QUESTION   who gave a 16gb card that is   not going to be useful for a camera today.

you may need  to  get a 64gb  properly rated card. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Come with camera. I used camera 6 times since new and every time I managed to have only one playable video.
For one video should be 4 Gb enough.
I was considering bigger card but camera must first work. Don’t really want spend another £50 on something which already cost £500 and doesn’t work.
GoPro

[ New ]

@othello79uk. How do the videos show up on your Mac's file finder window? Do they all have the same .MP4 format? Are the lengths of the video the same? If you see them on the file finder window, do you get any error message when opening the files? 

The setting you used ( 2.7K 4:3 at 3 fps) uses HEVC. See if your computer meets the system requirements for playing back files using such a codec. 

Which type of Sandisk card are you using? Based on our list of recommended SD cards, only a Samsung Pro UHS-I has been tested as compatible. Have you ever formatted your card prior to using it in the camera? Please do so if you haven't yet and try a sample recording. Attempt to playback the recording on the camera, and the GoPro App as well. Let us know what you find out. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

@othello79uk. How do the videos show up on your Mac's file finder window? Do they all have the same .MP4 format? Are the lengths of the video the same? If you see them on the file finder window, do you get any error message when opening the files? 

The setting you used ( 2.7K 4:3 at 3 fps) uses HEVC. See if your computer meets the system requirements for playing back files using such a codec. 

Which type of Sandisk card are you using? Based on our list of recommended SD cards, only a Samsung Pro UHS-I has been tested as compatible. Have you ever formatted your card prior to using it in the camera? Please do so if you haven't yet and try a sample recording. Attempt to playback the recording on the camera, and the GoPro App as well. Let us know what you find out. 

Thank you for reply. 

Yes, videos on Mac's file finder window showing .MP4 however on MAC, file seems to be slightly bigger ( 868.7MB vs 828.5MB )

Error messages when trying to play:

On MAC .......   QuickTime Player can't open "GH020156.MP4"

On Win laptop..... Error -2048: Couldn'topen the file GH020156.MP4 because it is not a file that QuickTime understands.

On Win laptop VLC just doesn't play. Function to control video not active and on time is moving orange strip left to right and time is not shown at all.

Yes, my computer meet the requirement for playing this codec. In my original post I wrote that one video from those 4 I'm ABLE TO WATCH on VLC. All videos I recorded myself ( camera doesn't left my hand ) and all within few minutes period and SETTINGS REMAIN SAME FOR ALL 4 videos. 

I used SD card supplied with camera. Formatted prior first use. I test this SD card in TACTACAM 5.0 ULTRA HD mounted on semi automatic shotgun and all videos perfect.

Personally I don't really want spend any more on that camera. ( with posibility that still will not work correctly )

Highest priority is recover last family videos. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the quick reply, @othello79uk. Which type of SanDisk card are you using? Is it Ultra, Extreme, Pro? It may have come with the package from the store where you purchased your camera from but please note that not all SD cards work compatibly with GoPros, even if it may work well with other cameras or devices. This is why we have a recommended list of cards. 

Also, were you able to test as suggested in my previous post? How did it go?