Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Unable to open video and image gopro hero 5 black

Hi Guys,

I need some help, the story is this. I plug in my gopro hero 5 black into my laptop and Quik unable to detect my SD card inside my GOPRO, so I inserted the SD card into my phone and transfer it out to my laptop. After transfer it out, I was unable to view all the video and image i had taken. I tried to move those files back in the reverse way (SD card in phone and insert into GOPRO) and my gopro show that in unable to view the files.

Is there anyway to recover those files ? It is very important to me as all of this is just a recent trip.

Thanks!

Daemian

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Unable to open video and image gopro hero 5 black

Hi @dae88

Did you also transfer the files from your SD card to your phone's storage?

While we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data, you may be able to perform a Google search to find various data recovery options to recover the footage that had been lost. Yet, please do your research on whichever data recovery software is best for you as it may require activation of the software and there may be varying costs.
It is also best not to record any new photos and or videos with the card that had been used. This will overwrite the  files that may have been on there to where it would not be possible to recover. 
I do recommend to reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

When you copied the files back from your PC to your phone, it could have tried to do an automatic conversion to the files to make them playable on your mobile device (and this usually doesn't work).  If you've overwritten the original files doing this, then there's probably no way to get the information back.

I would suggest that in future, you use an SD card reader to move files from your camera directly to your laptop to prevent this happening again.

In the meantime, try using something like VLC player to see if it will read and play your files.  

Highlighted
Sightseer

I tried using VLC and is not working :(

@irishmanpdx wrote:

When you copied the files back from your PC to your phone, it could have tried to do an automatic conversion to the files to make them playable on your mobile device (and this usually doesn't work).  If you've overwritten the original files doing this, then there's probably no way to get the information back.

I would suggest that in future, you use an SD card reader to move files from your camera directly to your laptop to prevent this happening again.

In the meantime, try using something like VLC player to see if it will read and play your files.  

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @dae88

Did you also transfer the files from your SD card to your phone's storage?

While we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data, you may be able to perform a Google search to find various data recovery options to recover the footage that had been lost. Yet, please do your research on whichever data recovery software is best for you as it may require activation of the software and there may be varying costs.
It is also best not to record any new photos and or videos with the card that had been used. This will overwrite the  files that may have been on there to where it would not be possible to recover. 
I do recommend to reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Thanks!

Ej