Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Unable to find gopro hero 5 black via bluetooth

Bluetooth is the initial "handshake" between the two devices. Once done, the connection automatically switches to Wi-Fi. The reason for the Bluetooth is so the camera has a means of broadcasting with low power consumption. Wi-Fi is more secure so that's why the camera switches the connection.
Highlighted
Hiker

That also may explain why the battery life is so short on My Session 5 (and drains even when the camera is not in use. I am so tired of pulling the camera out after 3-4 days of storage and the battery is dead. Even when I charge it up bfore storeing it). Any way we can choose the lowest power connection?

Highlighted
Tourist

For myself, initially I am just curious trying to connect to Bluetooth, because Gopro mention bluetooth, so we have to try to connect to bluetooth that's all. Yes, I agree with you, we only need to connect to Wi-fi, once it connects, just go ahead and open that "capture" icon, that's all you need to do.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello Matt

I am unable to connect my gopro hero 5 to my iphone capture app via blue tooth as well and I am using ios 10.  

I would really like this feature because connecting via wifi really sucks out a lot of battery life.  We barely took 10 photos in less than one hour and the battery already went down by 20%.  Any solutions to that ? Thanks. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Sorry, no, no solution. You are stuck with WiFi and the power suck is amazing. Even sitting TURNED OFF it is still "on" and nibbling away at the battery. Several times I have taken out my camera to find that the battery is dead. Not a great product.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hey @redriver73328

Bluetooth pairing on the iPhone isn't a separate process with the GoPro, it's built into the process and after about 20 minutes the wireless connection will go over to BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). But if the camera is still on, even if not taking pictures, it's going to be draining the battery. You can turn the camera off and keep the wireless on (it will stay on for about 8 hours and shouldn't take up more than a few percentage points of battery that way). 

Highlighted
Tourist

I've had to charge the GoPro constantly with a battery pack. The battery is so much worse than iPhone battery. To be safe , when I am out using the camera , I charge it throughout the day when it's not in use.
Highlighted
Tourist

Is that so ? I used it last night to download a few videos , looking at photos (used it for probably 1.5 hours or less). Didn't see the change to Bluetooth. Left with 10% power.