Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Unable to find gopro hero 5 black via bluetooth

Black tape.

There is a case for the Hero4/3 that does what you are asking.  It's called the blackout housing.  However, even on that housing, you have to use the included tape to cover the front window for the display LCD window.

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

@jefftThis doesn't really help me, I understand the concept of why there is both Bluetooth & Wifi but my problem is the GoPro doesn't show up on the Bluetooth available devices on my phone and the Capture app won't proceed because it keeps telling me to connect my Bluetooth.

This is my second GoPro as I bought a Hero Session (4) for my daughter for Christmas (the little square) and struggled a bit with the wifi & bluetooth connect and had to hard update the software (moving the Update.exe file thru Windows Explorer, etc. on that device......so I decided to buy her a Hero 5 Black figuring it would much easier for a 13 year old to use the touch screens & voice controls, etc. and sort of assuming a current version (5) would run better than a Hero 4.

So now my Hero 5 Black is brand new from BestBuy and I am connecting to my Capture app on my iphone5SE for the first time.  The Capture app tells me to connect my wifi to my Hero5B which I do, then it tells me to connect the Bluetooth.  But the Hero5B never shows up on my phone's Bluetooth options so I'm stuck.  Please help or I'm going to go buy a different brand.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the same problem like you. From my iPhone5 C in Bluetooth settings it does not find my Gopro5 Session at all, but it still connects to Gopro and works fine. It's weird. So, I think Bluetooth works transparent, i.e. you don't need to worry about Bluetooth. It automatically connects to Gopro from iPhone, if it is so, then Gopro should let people knows in its manual.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@Anonymous - The GoPro won't show up on your phone under bluetooth devices. Can you get a screenshot of where Capture is saying it won't connect without bluetooth? I haven't seen that, but can try to get an answer for you if you can show me what that looks like. There is a screen that asks if you want to connect to bluetooth as part of the pairing process, but it's optional and is done automatically by the app. There's nothing you need to do with your bluetooth settings for that step.

Highlighted
Hiker

@mattb I now have a new iPad mini. The app has you login (totally lame, but that is a different thread) and then connect on WiFi. As soon as that is done it says "Bluetooth: Pair using Bluetooth. This will extend your GoPro's battery life." I can see the device listed as "GoPro 2044" and "Connected". But when I try to connect it fails.

Could someone who is supposed to know the App New Device experience explain why we would be offered an "energy saving" option (also an option to not cripple my WiFi connection while I record.) so I can connect with Bluetooth?

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@matthewmcd - mattb addressed this issue on a previous post. Here's what he wrote:

"Bluetooth acts as the initial handshake between the camera and the phone, as well as maintains the connection after a period of inactivity with the Capture App. In older cameras, the Wi-Fi just stayed on the whole time if you had wireless turned on in the camera, which would drain the battery at a similar rate whether you were actively using the app or not. This is now different with Bluetooth. 

So let's say you're lining up your shot with the App and you press record from your phone. You don't have to worry about turning the wireless off after that, because once you get on with your activity and the App hasn't been used for a little while, the camera will revert to Bluetooth. The connection is maintained in case you need to open up the App again and make a change (in which case Wi-Fi will kick back on), but the connection is maintained via Bluetooth and uses very little energy. It's kind of like the sleep mode on your computer; you're hardly using any energy but the device is ready to use again very quickly if needed."

Our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus can help troubleshoot why the bluetooth connection did not work for you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Hiker

I wonder if the person or manual you are quoting was ever used with a GoPro Hero 5 Session. The bleutooth connection NEVER works. You ALWAYS have to change to WiFi and guggle between apps and settings. OH and if you connect to your camera BEFORE opening Capture you can't open Capture because it FORCES you to login and ... well ... you don't have an internet connection when you are connected to your camera.

This whole workflow is so lame. Do they even use thier products?

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and @matthewmcd

The cameras use bluetooth to facilitate connecting via wi-fi.  All the information is actually sent via wi-fi, and that is where you will go to connect the camera each time you want to use the Capture app.  Once you've logged into the Capture App once, you shouldn't have to log in again unless you change the password for your GoPro account.

Here's an article that helps explain the process:  https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/How-to-Pair-the-Camera-with-Capture

Cheers!