Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

Unable to find gopro hero 5 black via bluetooth

Just got my gopro yesterday. I manage to connect it via wifi but im not able to see the gopro on bluetooth list. Although it can find all my other bluetooth devices e.g. Headphone. Please advise.

Regards,
John

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Unable to find gopro hero 5 black via bluetooth

Hey @Anonymous, 

Bluetooth acts as the initial handshake between the camera and the phone, as well as maintains the connection after a period of inactivity with the Capture App. In older cameras, the Wi-Fi just stayed on the whole time if you had wireless turned on in the camera, which would drain the battery at a similar rate whether you were actively using the app or not. This is now different with Bluetooth. 

So let's say you're lining up your shot with the App and you press record from your phone. You don't have to worry about turning the wireless off after that, because once you get on with your activity and the App hasn't been used for a little while, the camera will revert to Bluetooth. The connection is maintained in case you need to open up the App again and make a change (in which case Wi-Fi will kick back on), but the connection is maintained via Bluetooth and uses very little energy. It's kind of like the sleep mode on your computer; you're hardly using any energy but the device is ready to use again very quickly if needed.

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@Anonymous - The primary connection is through wifi. The bluetooth acts as s backup or supporting connection. You should see the GoPro listed in your bluetooth devices, but it won't show as connected since it's primarily connecting through the wifi connection.

Jeff

Highlighted
Anonymous

When u say backup and supporting connection what exactly does that mean? What i did is i tried disabling the wifi and tried connecting bluetooth on my phone. However, the capture app wouldnt open and keep on asking me to connect to wifi. If thats the case im confuse on what exactly is the use of bluetooth?
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

My understanding is that the bluetooth connection helps to stabilize the connection. It's not an interface connection between the camera and phone. Your wifi connection does that.

Highlighted
Anonymous

ic so each time i want to connect my phone to my gopro hero 5 black i have to turn on wifi. I cant use bluetooth and connect my phone app to gopro. Thanks for clarifying. I thought i can choose which connection i want either bluetooth or wifi. Because i was prompted that i can save more battery using bluetooth. So how exactly does it work? How can it save battery if wifi is on and u said bluetooth serves as a connection stabilizer?
Highlighted
GoPro

Hey @Anonymous, 

Bluetooth acts as the initial handshake between the camera and the phone, as well as maintains the connection after a period of inactivity with the Capture App. In older cameras, the Wi-Fi just stayed on the whole time if you had wireless turned on in the camera, which would drain the battery at a similar rate whether you were actively using the app or not. This is now different with Bluetooth. 

So let's say you're lining up your shot with the App and you press record from your phone. You don't have to worry about turning the wireless off after that, because once you get on with your activity and the App hasn't been used for a little while, the camera will revert to Bluetooth. The connection is maintained in case you need to open up the App again and make a change (in which case Wi-Fi will kick back on), but the connection is maintained via Bluetooth and uses very little energy. It's kind of like the sleep mode on your computer; you're hardly using any energy but the device is ready to use again very quickly if needed.

I hope that helps!

Highlighted
Anonymous

Great explanation of the reason for Bluetooth connection as only a lower power constant handshake when wifi diconnects, not an alternative to a wifi connection. Do you think that one day GoPro will make this differential clearer in Capture and/or on the onscreen Connection menu? Man Tongue

Highlighted
Anonymous

Please help. This is my first GoPro camera. In the capture app I am able to connect my GoPro hero 5 using wifi but when I press continue in the Capture App it says to make sure that Bluetooth is switched on. I'm using an iPad on iOS 9 and the Bluetooth is on. I am not allowed passed this point so I can't add my camera to he app.  Has anyone got this working using a GoPro Hero 5 black. The process for adding other cameras seems different on other models of the camera so please only respond if you have got this working on a GoPro hero 5 black camera. Many thanks.