Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Unable to do any operations on GoPro Hero 8, Screen locks and video starts automatically recording

Hi Team, 

I unboxed my GoPro Hero 8 yesterday evening and started facing issues in the first hour itself, I am unable to perform any action on my GoPro Hero 8, Currently when I power it on, Video mode is automatically selected and it starts recording videos itself. Its not allowing me any action other than power it on/off. 

Here's what I have already tried

1.) When I opened it initially, it had limited battery so I wasn't able to update it to the latest software as battery was low

2.) I charged it for an hour and powered it on since then I am unable to perform any action other than power it on/off

3.) Video mode is automatically selected and its started recording videos

4.) I couldn't even upgrade to the latest software after sufficient battery charge as videos were getting automatically recorded and it was in use.

5.) I googled about this issue already reported on other support threads and found chain where it requested us to format SD Card. Honestly that's stupid and there are no instructions anywhere requesting us to do that. 

6.) I am using the SanDisk 32 GB SD card that came along with the pack itself. I formatted the SD Card through my phone but still the issue exists, I have already followed the formatting instructions through computer found on one of the threads. 

Request you to please look into the issues and suggest how we can resolve this issue, thanks!

Regards

Prabhjot 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Unable to do any operations on GoPro Hero 8, Screen locks and video starts automatically recordi

When formatting it through Computer, I made sure to choose FAT32 File System as I am using 32GB Sandisk SD Card

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Unable to do any operations on GoPro Hero 8, Screen locks and video starts automatically recordi

When formating my San Disk 32 GB SD Card through my Moto G4 Plus Phone, There are two options 

Format & Format as internal

Here are the results of both the formats 

1.) On doing Format, I am still seeing the same issue mentioned above 

2.) On doing Format as internal, I received the SD Card Error and GoPro turned off post error message display 

Regards

Prabhjot 

Highlighted
Nomad

Your first issue is that you're not using the camera correctly.  You are pressing the shutter button (on top) to power on your camera.  This enables "Quick capture" mode which starts recording video and locks out all other functions.  The only other thing you can do is press the shutter button again, this stops recording and powers off your camera.

You need to use the actual power button to turn on your camera (button on side of camera).  This will turn on your camera and give you full access to all it's functions.

Your second issue is that you have no idea what you're doing when you are formatting your SD Card (which is in no way related to your original issue).  You need to format the card in your camera not in your windows PC.  If you format the card in your PC you are indeed checking it for errors, but you are also setting up the file type and block size for use in Windows and not in your camera.  So when you've learned to power on your camera correctly, format your SD card in the camera before using it.