12-04-2015 01:59 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to place Hero4 cameras around my wedding to build a video of everything that happened on the day. Everything went well, but when I went through the footage there seems to be quite a few files that are inaccessible.
I've managed to get all the files off the micro sd cards, and for the most part they look complete, ranging in size from around 800MB to 2GB. When I double click the files in the finder on my Mac, a note pops up saying: QuickTime Player can't open "GP010053.MP4". When I try to import these files into the studio, nothing happens at all. I tried using VLC (?), but again, I've had no luck with that.
It looks to me like there could be a possibility that the files have become corrupted somehow. As the film was just a continuous shot though, I'm not sure why that would be the case. For some reason, the same sort of thing has happened to all three of the cameras that capured the ceremony.
Given that I have seemed to have lost most of the ceremony, any suggestions for how I might be able to access the files would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.
Solved! Go to Solution.
02-06-2016 06:43 AM
Just a quick follow up to thank you Lorraine (and apologies for the delay in getting back to you). Really appreciate your efforts to try and recover those files for me. In the end, I managed to pull together a pretty good video clip without them, so it all worked out well in the end.
Thanks again for your help Lorraine.
12-04-2015 02:32 PM
I'm not sure whether it has any baring on anything, but I've tried uploading a copy of one of the inaccessible files to one of the online video converters in my Google Drive. When I select the file, it seems to load up entirely except for the last five or so percent (my estimate). I guess its possible the files have somehow lost a little of the data they need to be read?
12-05-2015 09:57 AM
Oh no! Our sincere apologies for any triggered emotions experienced when reviewing your footage. I'd love to see if we can help in any way. I do have a few additional questions for you:
Our cameras automatically chapter your footage based on size in the event there is a malfunction with the camera/SD card.
- Are you noticing any patterns with the films that are playable vs those that aren't?
- Are you able to provide any screen shots of the video files information? (If you highlight/click on one of the rebellious videos, press the Command and I key to grab those details for us to review.)
- May we have the brand, size, and class of SD cards used in all 3 cameras?
- Do you know what resolution and mode the cameras were filming in? Which camera models were used?
We'll do what we can to find a solution for you. I am a fanatic with my photos/footage, so, this has now become personal :)
Let us know when you can! Community, has anyone experienced this? Any additional ideas or fixes you've attempted/completed successfully?
Hub Community Moderator
12-05-2015 11:52 AM
It would mean the world to me if I could get those files working Lorraine - at the moment, I seem to be missing the entire second half of the ceremony... Thanks for the questions you've posted. I've included responses for each - hopefully with enough detail! Here goes:
- There does look to be a pattern of sorts. I had five cameras and two of them worked fine. One each of the remaining three though, each appeared to be missing three files. Each of these cameras was turned on at the beginning of the ceremony - roughly 1415hours - and then left to run continuously for the duration. The pattern that I noticed was that, whilst the first file seems to work fine on all three, the files that commenced at roughly 1430 and then 1445 seem to have failed across each of the devices. Nothing happened in the ceremony which could have knocked all three offline (!) so I guess it may have had something to do with the film rolling from one file to the next?
- I've attached a screen shot with file information for four files taken from one of the cameras. The first three sets of information relate to files which don't work, whilst the last has been included as a comparison of a working file on the same SD card. In general, the information looks broadly similar to me, though I do notice that the non functioning files all seem to be missing dimension, codec, duration and audio channel information. I'm not sure whether that's relevant possibly?
- The micro SD cards are all PNY 32GB cards. When I bought the cameras, the guy in the shop told me these were more than suitable, though somebody mentioned earlier today that these are actually the make the seem to go wrong most frequently... Wish he had of told me that at the time!
- In terms of the resolution, I believe it was 720 S-60 wide using the standard video mode.
Hopefully that gives a little more detail about those pesky files... Again, anything you could suggest to resolve this would be absolutely awesome Lorraine - last thing I want is to have lost those files given how special the day was.
If there's anything else I can fire across, let me know.
12-08-2015 10:50 AM
Thanks for providing the screenshots and additional details. I definetely want to keep this thread in the community in case anyone is experiencing the same thing, however, I'd like to reach out to you, personally, for further details.
Once we have a solution, I'll make sure to post that here, along with other details/troubleshooting we completed.
12-23-2015 04:34 AM
Are you sure the SD cards were not fake ones. ie labeled as say 64GB, but actually only 16GB. (or maybe 32GB and 8GB)
This problem would display a good directory, but any data after 16GB would be lost. There is no possible (significant) recovery from this type of error.
If the cards have not been used before, I would be suspicious.