Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Unable to access GoPro Max files through USB with Windows 10 1809

Hello,

When I connect my GoPro Max to any USB port of my computer running Windows 10 1809, the camera is correctly detected by Windows (it is listed in the device manager) but it doesn't show up in explorer, so I can't access the files. I have other GoPro cameras and they work normally, I can access the content of the SD card when I connect them with the USB cable, but it doesn't work with the GoPro Max.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 1809 from scratch to test if it was coming from any program/driver I had which would be incompatible, but it didn't solve anything. The problem is still there with a brand new Windows 10 1809 install without any additional driver/program!

Can anyone using Windows 10 1809 confirm? Any solution?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Unable to access GoPro Max files through USB with Windows 10 1809

I'm having a similar problem in windows 10 ver 1903

Highlighted
Tourist

I can hear the USB connect, but no Max or any drive appears.   On another windows machine I can see the MAX appear and I can access files throw windows explorer, but "no Media" appears in the Quik windows application.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have spent countless hours investigating this problem, reinstalling various Windows 10 versions from scratch on several computers. On some computers it works, on others it simply doesn't. It's not related to Windows 10 version. I'm pretty sure now it is an incompatibility between the new GoPro Hero8/Max and some motherboard chipsets. This is likely due to a specific USB implementation in the new GoPro Hero8/Max, and I hope this is fixable by a firmware update at GoPro side!

Here is another thread about the problem, with other persons having the same issue with the GoPro 8: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-8-Windows-10-can-see-the-device-but-won-t-cooperate/m-p/...

On my side I can say at least that the Asus Prime Z390-A is affected by the issue, and maybe all the motherboards using the high-end Z390 Intel chipset are affected...

One curious thing I noticed also, and you can try that if you want as a temporary workaround: install Oracle VirtualBox and launch it in the background (you don't need to run any VM). This will make your GoPro Max appear in Windows Explorer. I think this is because Oracle VirtualBox installs a USB handler which as a side effect hides the incompatibility... This is not a satisfying solution though, and I noticed the transfer rates are a bit lower when using this workaround.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the detail on your post! I also happen to be running the Intel Z390 chipset and having the same issue with a GoPro Hero 8 Black. I connected through a USB hub and had no luck detecting other than the USB MTP Device. It worked perfectly fine on an HP laptop using the same cables. It looks like there may be something to your hunch about the issue affecting other motherboards with the Z390 chipset. Not sure if it's a dealbreaker for me, but hopefully GoPro have a fix in the works.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Same for me with to laptops (Lenovo Legion Y7000 and HP Probook 450).

The only way to acces gopro max is to use a usb 3.0 cable and I see in explorer "mtp usb device" and is possible to acces the sd card.

In portable devices  the same "MTP USB Device"

In devices and printers the same "unspecified - gopro max".

Gopro Quick doesn`t see the camera.

Hero 3 + no issues.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Update:

1. Turn on gopro max.

2. Plug an usb 3.0 cable in camera and PC(one cable that have blue color inside the type A connector)

3. In device manager under "Portable Devices" uninstall MTP USB device

4. Unplug the cable

5. Plug the cable

It should appear on Portable Devices GoPro MAX and in the explorer as well.

GoPro Quick will see the camera.

Highlighted
Hiker

"Танцы с бубном" кому-то возможно помогут, но для большинства пользователей Windows и Android - пустая трата времени и сил. Проверено! 

Основная проблема - глючное программное обеспечение для новых камер GoPro. Криворукие программисты компании загоняют ситуацию в тупик, не признавая очевидные ошибки и недоработки и не прилагая должных усилий по их устранению.

А Службы и Центры поддержки вынуждены отмалчиваться или, умничая, давать дурацкие советы.

Позор компании GoPro!