Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

USB-C charging issue solved

Hi All

Thought would post this as it might help some people.

Have had a big issue with recharging both a Hero 7 black and Hero 6 black for several months. Like a lot of people, I use an apple wall mains USB plug, and plug my original GoPro USB-C cable into the cameras. It has always been a lottery whether the camera lights would come on to show that the recharging process is happening. Usually, it would take a lot of cable wiggling and camera movment to get the batteries to recharge. 

Just returned from Italy - where I lost lots of possible skiing footage due to being unable to recharge this time (and a spare battery I brought along somehow discharged completely during the flight over). So, long story short-ish, I have just sat here trying to solve this problem, and after swapping several cables, several Apple wall plugs, and two GoPro cameras, I have found the issue: the GoPro USB-C cables should not be 'pushed home' fully into the Apple plug USB socket. For some reason, this doesn't allow the USB contacts to contact properly. Simply push the cable into the Apple plug, but do not push all the way unitl you feel it go tight as this causes some kind of contact loss/issue.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but hope it might help someone as I couldn't find a solution elsewhere despite a lot of searching.

apple_gopro2.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: USB-C charging issue solved

Sorry to hear about the missed opportunity of getting ski footage, @fervourandfuel.  Thank you for sharing your findings. This will definitely be helpful for members having the same issue that you observed. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi

Thanks for the Hi-5. I tried to edit my post to include smaller photos, but the editing timed-out and now there's no option to edit the original post. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated as I can add a further photo.

Thanks again

Highlighted
GoPro

Greatly appreciated! The page sets an end time to when a post can be edited. We can do the edit, or you can reply to the thread to add the images. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Here's the amended image to show how far the cable should be inserted.

Hope it helps.

apple_gopro1.jpg