Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Two new Hero 7 Black and both drains battery when turned off?!

[ New ]

The last five days, i have bought two new Hero 7 Black, from two different stores. Both cameras are setup in the same way, with voice control and wifi turned off. And both cameras have the latest firmware (both updated yesterday).

Last night i charged both batteries with a GoPro Dual Charger. Inserted them into the cameras, and turned them on to see the battery status. Both showed 100%. So i turned off both cameras. This morning i should use the cameras on a morning paddle. But i reacted when both cameras was "warm" (not very, but enough to notice); and my suspicion was confirmed when i was unable turn them on bacause the cameras did not react. So i removed the batteries, inserted them again- and batteries showed 22% and 27%. *Far* from the 100% i had the day before. 

So. How do i fix this? Both stores i used have 30 days open return so it's easy to return the cameras and forget all about GoPro, but i *really* would like the cameras to work instead. But this is *to* stupid to be true. A $400 camera should work out of the box. And here- two are failing. 

Accepted Solutions
Sightseer

Re: Two new Hero 7 Black and both drains battery when turned off?!

[ New ]
I read that the Gopro's poll wifi constantly and along with other stuff enabled, voice activation for instance, batteries can drain from full to flat in 6 hours of being switched off. Charge fully then remove the battery, leave it out until ready to use. insert and enjoy a fully charged battery.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kyrreb34131

Thank you for the information.

To isolate the issue, try to take the SD card out of the camera an see if the camera will still overheat.

If it does, a manual update is suggested. Please refer to https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

You may also check the suggestions on this thread.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I never claimed that the cameras overheat. They are draining batteries. Huge difference.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kyrreb34131

Apologies if I had it mixed up.Probably intended for a different post.

Were you able to check this thread?

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Another-Hero-7-Battery-Drain-While-Powered-Off-Thread/m-p/339...

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes. I read it. And many other threads like it (not only here on GoPro). The only thing they have in common, is that nobody have a solution, and that there seems to be a consensus between most people out there that GoPro won't do anything to fix the problem. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kyrreb34131

Most users agree that taking the battery out after charging then reinserting it takes care of the battery drain.

See if this will work on your setup.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

No. Most users don't agree that that's a solution. Some users agree that that's a fix when the problem have happened.

A solution would fix the draining-issue and stop it from happen. Removing the battery, and inserting it again will, in both of my cameras, and many others out there, result in a new drainage to happen. Regardless of memory cards and batteries used. 

A manual firmware update did not help either. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
I read that the Gopro's poll wifi constantly and along with other stuff enabled, voice activation for instance, batteries can drain from full to flat in 6 hours of being switched off. Charge fully then remove the battery, leave it out until ready to use. insert and enjoy a fully charged battery.