Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Trouble with the Max Lens mod

[ New ]
Wow, I agree that they should have recalled the defective cameras.

I asked for compensation when I could not use my camera for weeks, I asked them to give me another month on my subscription and they said no. They suggested I could still take advantage of they subscription by buying more stuff!! I now have a new camera and everything is working but I will look for any alternative cameras in the future because of how I was treated. I will not recommend them either due to a poor history of taking care of good costumers.
Sightseer

Rif.: Trouble with the Max Lens mod

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was having the same issue: the stock lens was tight but easily came off.  I tried the Max lens mod and got it on and turning, but it would stop just short of fully aligned, when the little tabs try to lock it down. I didn't want to force it, and so I took it back off.

After reading through this thread, I tried again and again. I'd put the Max lens mod on, turn it, loosen it, turn it, loosen it.  I did that about 10 times.  Then, I tried with my hands to turn it the final bit: it almost hurt the joints in my fingers but finally turned all the way.  I think that it must be a the little tabs that lock it down are just a small percentage of a mm off, causing it to be really tight.  But it did finally go on for me.

Again, thanks for sharing your challenges and final success with the wrench. Your sharing encouraged me to keep trying, rather than to send it back.

Jess

Tourist

[ New ]

Yep got mine today. wont. turn completly into place and that grinding is awful.

Nomad

[ New ]
“I will look for any alternative cameras in the future because of how I was treated. I will not recommend them either due to a poor history of taking care of good costumers”

Devices still good, some good people work there.

But…they work for Wall Street in effect.

So try to avoid dealing with them once you have the devices and bits you need. It helps if you expect issues, but just solve them on your own.
Hiker

[ New ]
I was told by GoPro it is an engineering problem ie the clearances on the camera were not correct for the Max Lens Mod. I had to return my camera to GoPro for an exchange. That took around 5 weeks, even though I followed the returns process as instructed! It finally got through customs on the fourth posting, after been return to sender 3 times. The carrier company were partially at fault for the delays too. The ones that have got the Max Lens Mod to eventually fit by repeatedly taking it on and off need to check the ‘O’ ring seal around the camera lens. Mine was damaged in the process of trying to repeatedly fit the new lens.
Hiker

[ New ]
Just received mine, also with same problem!!!!

Can't believe this...
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @alvesjc. If the suggested steps previously mentioned in this thread didn't help, please contact our Support Team so we can assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @aenriquez 

I did and I've now the lens installed.

After the assistant assured me that if I broke the camera doing the process he was sugesting it would be replaced, I did how he suggested.

This is not normal in anyway, you've clearly a design problem that you're not assuming.

Anyway, I'll describe what was done.

I was requested to put the camera over a towel in the table with the lens facing up.

After this I needed to do a HUGEEEEE force to press down the lens and also twist it at same time. It was still needed 3 atempts to make it perfectly in place.

I was then asked to remove and repeat the process, and again, the same amount of force was aplied.

I've now the lens attached, but this isn't by any means normal.

So I expect gopro to assume this and replace the cameras/lens in order to provide a normal usage.

Imagine I'm in the field and I want to quickly swap the lens? It's almost impossible to do it....