Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Trouble with the Max Lens mod

[ New ]
Thanks for the feed back. Fingers crossed I get the same result.
Sightseer

[ New ]
I am having this same issue it will not turn all the way.
So frustrating.
Hiker

[ New ]
Email GoPro support. They have rung me back and my case is on going. Have a check of your seal around the camera lens (not the detachable lens cover) mine is ‘chewed up’. I now have concerns about the camera’s waterproofness. I had to send pictures in and the technicians are going to advise me further, once they have seen the pictures. Good luck.
GoPro

[ New ]

@scottf74, you can push the Max Lens Mod unit towards the body of the camera while turning it into place. This compresses the Lens a bit and will help it set. You can use some force and try it a couple of times. If you continue to experience issues, we want to look at what happened to see how we can help. Please contact our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]
GoPro have been great so far helping me to sort out the problem. Phoning me when they said they would (twice). They emailed me the documentation and a postage paid return label. My original camera is now in transit. Once they’ve received it, they will send me a new one, that will accept the Max Lens Mod.
Tourist

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

Garbage QC. The Max lens mod absolutely doesn NOT fit. 

Very dissappointed. Had to grind the metal repeatedly just to get it to twist on, way beyond any reasonable amount. Cannot possibly turn it the last bit, even with a large wrench. There is no way to get this thing on without either destroying the camera and or the lens. This is my first experience with a gopro, honestly not good. Pretty frustrated and dissappointed, not the way I expected to start "getting to know a product." 

I've never encountered anything like this with any of the camera equipment I've owned  and regularly operated for years. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Peters03787,

I had the same trouble and I found that the Max Lens Mod had damaged the 'O' ring around the the camera lens, due to having to force them together.

I contacted gopro.com/help to request a phone call. Which they did within around 30 minutes. Do keep your phone to hand, I didn't get to my phone fast enough, after one of my requests and they never rang back! So I had to log in and request another call.

The information I received was there had been a manufacturing problem with some batches of the Hero 9 ie the clearance was not enough to accept the Max Lens Mod. GoPro should recall all the faulty camera from that batch(es). But, they won't because you will only be aware of the fault if you decide to purchase the Max Lens Mod!

I first carried out the instructions I was given to return the faulty product on the 4th Feb 2021. I have had my parcel returned to sender ie me three (3) times. I'm in the UK so Brexit and paperwork may have played a part in this. However, GoPro should have known exactly what paperwork was required. Plus UPS returned my package every time with a 'reason for return label' on it, but no information on it to say why it was returned, so that did not help. I still don't have my replacement camera (20th March), so good luck getting yours exchanged.

I complained that i'd been without my camera for 5 weeks. So, as an act of good faith GoPro should send out a replacement camera and we would sort out what ever the problem was with returning the faulty camera soonest. Reply "They can't do that"

I mentioned what a waste of money my GoPro subscription was, as I could not upload any footage, as I had none. I was offered a free gift from a choice of 3 items. I chose the 'Chesty'. It's now been a number of weeks since that offer and I still haven't received it. Even though i was told it should be with me in the next week!

I gave my daughter the money to buy a GoPro Hero 9 for my Grandson's Christmas present.. I've yet to see if the Max Lens Mod will fit on his camera or not.

I will probably buy any future GoPro products through a local store. Then if anything is wrong, I just have to return it to the local store.

Good Luck