Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Trouble with the Max Lens mod

[ New ]

Yep got mine today. wont. turn completly into place and that grinding is awful.

Nomad

[ New ]
“I will look for any alternative cameras in the future because of how I was treated. I will not recommend them either due to a poor history of taking care of good costumers”

Devices still good, some good people work there.

But…they work for Wall Street in effect.

So try to avoid dealing with them once you have the devices and bits you need. It helps if you expect issues, but just solve them on your own.
Hiker

[ New ]
I was told by GoPro it is an engineering problem ie the clearances on the camera were not correct for the Max Lens Mod. I had to return my camera to GoPro for an exchange. That took around 5 weeks, even though I followed the returns process as instructed! It finally got through customs on the fourth posting, after been return to sender 3 times. The carrier company were partially at fault for the delays too. The ones that have got the Max Lens Mod to eventually fit by repeatedly taking it on and off need to check the ‘O’ ring seal around the camera lens. Mine was damaged in the process of trying to repeatedly fit the new lens.
Hiker

[ New ]
Just received mine, also with same problem!!!!

Can't believe this...
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @alvesjc. If the suggested steps previously mentioned in this thread didn't help, please contact our Support Team so we can assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @aenriquez 

I did and I've now the lens installed.

After the assistant assured me that if I broke the camera doing the process he was sugesting it would be replaced, I did how he suggested.

This is not normal in anyway, you've clearly a design problem that you're not assuming.

Anyway, I'll describe what was done.

I was requested to put the camera over a towel in the table with the lens facing up.

After this I needed to do a HUGEEEEE force to press down the lens and also twist it at same time. It was still needed 3 atempts to make it perfectly in place.

I was then asked to remove and repeat the process, and again, the same amount of force was aplied.

I've now the lens attached, but this isn't by any means normal.

So I expect gopro to assume this and replace the cameras/lens in order to provide a normal usage.

Imagine I'm in the field and I want to quickly swap the lens? It's almost impossible to do it....

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, @alvesjc. It would be best to continue working with Support regarding this matter. They will help you with the next steps. You may use the same case number that you were previously provided for easy reference. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@3s1k wrote:

Try the fix I posted on the previous page. I used a dish towel along with the Lens Mod case to get enough leverage to twist it on. Then I kept twisting it off over and over again until I no longer need the towel. It will loosen up after 5-10 times of doing this. Then blow off any metal shavings that came off. I had a little bit of metal shavings.

THis right here is what worked for me.. Same thing with the metal shavings (just a little bit).. I put it on and off about 6 times, and can now do it with just the case. Still takes some torque, but not as much.. so it'll most likely get easier as I take it off and on. My concern would be longevity of the lens mod.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Had the same problem. Atlast i return it to Bestbuy already.
I Bought it from Best buy , Sure the product made in China and back home try to install it in to my Hero9 But!!
Got the same problem , Can't go through and stuck .

I want one and love the way Len Mod can do But got this problem... So i Return it already.
No good.

Tourist

[ New ]

So, I've had the same problem as everyone else here. Trying to get that Max Lens Mod on sucks.. I figured since I have the "warranty", why not go for broke. I torqued that sucker on as best I could and it finally settled into place. Felt like I'd snap it off, but I didn't. Then I decided after reading a few posts, I'd take it off and on again a few more times.. and now it is a *LOT* easier to get on. It's still a tight fit, but it seems to be working better now. I'm just surprised at how much of a "miss" this seems with quality control for GoPro. This is my first GoPro camera/accessories I've purchased, but the quality appears good, until this little annoying issue.

GoPro

[ New ]

@winyu777, @snowypike43211, sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with the camera and Max Lens Mod. If the suggested steps mentioned in this thread didn't help, please contact our Support Team so we can assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks! That really helped me after applying tiny amount of grease around the rim 

Hiker

[ New ]

Why not try the skyreat anamorphic lens instead. Fits easily and is much cheaper. It also works in 4k, unlike the maxlens mod which only works upto 2.7k

skyreat.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

Probably because using an anamorphic lens means more post processing with having to desqueeze the footage to maintain a normal aspect ratio.  The added lens flare isn't attractive to everyone.  Unlike the Max Lens Mod the Skyreat anamorphic lens doesn't allow for 360 degree horizon leveling.  You cannot use superview or wide view (depending on your hypersmooth settings) otherwise the edges of the lens become visible and therefore have to use a narrow FOV to avoid these issues.  So for cinematic looking footage the skyreat anamorphic lens is great for those who are used to doing post processing.  However for people looking for a point and shoot solution or for action sports, it's better to use the Max Lens Mod.