Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Trouble with the Max Lens mod

[ New ]
Is anyone else have real trouble fitting the max lens mod to the Hero 9? Mine grinds when I try and twist it into place and then it gets stuck before it’s in. I then have trouble removing it.
GoPro

Re: Trouble with the Max Lens mod

[ New ]

Hello @rockypike345

Kindly check HERO9 Black - Max Lens Mod

Instructions on how to attach the Lens Mod starts at 01:15.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

A number of users have reported this, however it seems to be a case of just attaching it, removing it and reattaching it.  After a while, it will get easier to do.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hey, yeah not as simple as that! There’s either a fault with the bezel on the camera of the lens is faulty. Mine will 100% not fit on the camera. See my YouTube clip Max lens mod https://youtu.be/GhyqAY6_dF0
Tourist

[ New ]

yeah the same as your video, I can not fix it properly, Hero 9 is eally dissappointing !!!!!!! Actually I do not know what to!! apart from this problem, in sunny day it is really shaky and blur, and the only setting which has not problem is capturing video by 1-480. if I adjust it to 1/48 or 1/60, video quality becomes awful. 

IMG_4284.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]

Same issue here! It cannot be turned a full quarter clockwise. It can be turned only partially remaining misaligned with the cam

128200526_373016273965067_4885053461288447639_n.jpg

Sightseer

[ New ]
Had the same problem. Use a tea towel as if you were opening a jar. Worked for me.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Mine would not turn until I used a tea towel (just like I would for a stuck jar lid).
Hiker

[ New ]
Nope it doesn't work. I also tried with the protection of the lens as seen in many videos. When it reaches that point, the protection slips and it cannot be turned furthermore.
Even with a tea towel applying all the force I have it just cannot be turned :(
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @firstcapt75

Make sure to align the grooves and twist with some force.
It would be a bit tight at first.

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
Attach the camera to a mount before twisting with a tea towel, to get extra leverage.
Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006nope as I said even applying extra-force it doesn't turn. For sure using even more force I will break something and I don't want.

But I'm just wondering the outcome of all the persons that reported this issue so far.

Was everybody able to install it eventually?

Was it replaced by the Tech support?

Hiker

Rif.: Trouble with the Max Lens mod

[ New ]

ATTENTION - IMPORTANT UPDATE Smiley Happy

In a fit of rage Smiley LOL I tried using an adjustable wrench and a towel not to ruin the lens and it turned completely!

Then it can be unmounted easily but to mount it again it needs the wrench.

But it seems that after 4 or 5 times it is starting to become easier to be turned by hand

Thanks everybody for you help Smiley Happy

Sightseer

[ New ]
I'm glad you got it one with a wrench but that shouldn't be the case. If I told GoPro Support I cracked the lens or my camera cause I used a wrench they're gonna tell me to kick rocks.

Mine is exactly as the OP. Starts to go on fine then gets tighter as it makes the grinding sound then won't go on any further. Anything tight will get loose if you **bleep** it enough but I'm not in the mood for that.
Nomad

[ New ]

I suspect it's a maching issue, have you tried gently blowing around it with an air duster to remove debris?  It may help.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I was able to get it on by leaving the case on it and a towel. It helped get the leverage to twist it on. After 2 or 3 tries I no longer need the towel but still need the cover which is fine.

It shouldn't be this difficult but I appreciate the tips. Now I need to blow some air on it cause every time I twist it on and off it leaves small bits of metal shavings.
Tourist
Tourist

[ New ]
Well yep. Facing the same issues, haha how unfortunate.
image.jpg
Sightseer

[ New ]
Put the case on it and then use like a dish towel to help get a better grip and try twisting it on. Using the case helps protect the lens.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Yes! Same problem. I watched an instructional video and I feel like I'm going to break it if I keep trying...
Sightseer

[ New ]
Hi i have watched several videos and I think my lens threading is faulty. This will NOT fit my GoPro. How do I exchange? Thank you!
image.jpg
Sightseer

[ New ]

Try the fix I posted on the previous page. I used a dish towel along with the Lens Mod case to get enough leverage to twist it on. Then I kept twisting it off over and over again until I no longer need the towel. It will loosen up after 5-10 times of doing this. Then blow off any metal shavings that came off. I had a little bit of metal shavings.

Tourist
Tourist

[ New ]
You’re right, after 10-20 tries and few metal shavings later it will fit.
For mine, gave up trying awhile and when I got back to try again the magic happened.

Or perhaps I’m just weak. Hahaha. Cheers mates enjoy your max lens.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Lol you are not weak. It was a PITA to get on. It It felt like it was going to break which proves how durable the GoPro's really are haha. Enjoy yours as well.

Sightseer

[ New ]

i JUST GOT THE MOD AND HAD THE SAME ISSUES, BAD DESIGN i THINK

i USED A SMALL WATCH SCREWDRIVER AND PUSHED IT INTO WHERE THE NOTCHES ARE ON THE LENS THAT LOCK IT INTO PLACE AND OPENED THEM UP VERY SLIGHTLY AND IT LOCKED ON OK, STILL VERY TIGHT BUT DOES GO ON AND OFF OK NOW

Tourist

[ New ]
Ridiculous, poor QC. This needs to be addressed by GoPro. I bet a ton of people will experience this issue on Christmas morning!

I'd love to see a GoPro rep show me how to install my Max lens mod correctly without a crescent wrench!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @noblecreek57118. A video showing how it is installed is at HERO9 Black - Max Lens Mod . If you are having issues installing the Mod, please connect with our Support team so they can advise you of the next steps. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I was having the same issue, the lense mod would twist on about 95% of the way and then stick.

no amount of reasonal force could make it go the final 5%. 

I decided to try using a (very) tiny bit of waterproof grease (the kind I use for my bike parts) -

applied with a q-tip to the threads on the camera body.

And guess what? the next try, the lens then twisted on no problems at all. 

Attached is a pic of the grease i used for reference, again I only used the tinyest amount, 

you shouldn't even be abe to see the grease on the threads after the application. 

IMG_4600.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]
Sightseer

[ New ]

same here and no goro it is not that we are having trouble putting it on, a child with a basic understanding of lego could do this if it actually had a bit more consideration in the manufacturing. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

good job I'm a sailor with arms like popeye otherwise that would not have gone on.
1: take the cover off so you dont twist and mishapen it too much.
2: grip it like bruce lee in a kung fu pinch
3: twist to the point you think its going to shatter in your hands
4: be releieved it has not done so and wipe sweat from your forehead

5: turn on max lense mode

Hiker

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same exact problem, mine goes 95% of the way and then won't move. Definitely a machining issue.

GoPro should at least admit that they have a problem, rather than act like everything is ok.

Need some reasonable fix for this. No one wants to break a lens applying pressure, so that it locks in place, after having paid as much for the lens.

Tourist

[ New ]

I actually ended up using @scuc suggedstion of bike oil on a q-tip on the two small metal layers that @leon61 removed in his post.

I still had to apply some force, but no where close to what I was previously applying.

Thanks both

Hiker

[ New ]

I've just received my Max Lens Mod and it is not fitting easily & smoothly like others, that I have seen on YouTube.

It makes a scratching/scraping noise on turning it and it gets stuck before it is fully on! So, is this a common problem, or maybe a manufacturing batch problem?

Hiker

[ New ]

These pics show the exact same problem as what I am having!

GoPro

[ New ]

@pops1964, we want to look at what happened to see how we can help. Please contact our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Tourist

[ New ]

Never got mine to work.  Sent in to GoPro and they sent me a new camera and lens.  It was really tight but went on on the second try.  Works well now.  Getting the service order was really challening and they took almost 3 weeks to get me a replacement. Big pain in the butt to say the least.  Good luck.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have sent my contact details as requested.

The picture shows the silver debris and also the condition of the 'O' ring/seal.

Thanks for your quick reply

IMG_0289.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]

2nd Pic

IMG_0288.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]

Max Lens Mod Picture, showing paint or metal flecks. Obviously this will affect my videos & pics if they go on the lens and i'm also concerned that it may affect the camera's seal?

IMG_0290.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks for the feed back. Fingers crossed I get the same result.
Sightseer

[ New ]
I am having this same issue it will not turn all the way.
So frustrating.
Hiker

[ New ]
Email GoPro support. They have rung me back and my case is on going. Have a check of your seal around the camera lens (not the detachable lens cover) mine is ‘chewed up’. I now have concerns about the camera’s waterproofness. I had to send pictures in and the technicians are going to advise me further, once they have seen the pictures. Good luck.
GoPro

[ New ]

@scottf74, you can push the Max Lens Mod unit towards the body of the camera while turning it into place. This compresses the Lens a bit and will help it set. You can use some force and try it a couple of times. If you continue to experience issues, we want to look at what happened to see how we can help. Please contact our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]
GoPro have been great so far helping me to sort out the problem. Phoning me when they said they would (twice). They emailed me the documentation and a postage paid return label. My original camera is now in transit. Once they’ve received it, they will send me a new one, that will accept the Max Lens Mod.
Tourist

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

Garbage QC. The Max lens mod absolutely doesn NOT fit. 

Very dissappointed. Had to grind the metal repeatedly just to get it to twist on, way beyond any reasonable amount. Cannot possibly turn it the last bit, even with a large wrench. There is no way to get this thing on without either destroying the camera and or the lens. This is my first experience with a gopro, honestly not good. Pretty frustrated and dissappointed, not the way I expected to start "getting to know a product." 

I've never encountered anything like this with any of the camera equipment I've owned  and regularly operated for years. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Peters03787,

I had the same trouble and I found that the Max Lens Mod had damaged the 'O' ring around the the camera lens, due to having to force them together.

I contacted gopro.com/help to request a phone call. Which they did within around 30 minutes. Do keep your phone to hand, I didn't get to my phone fast enough, after one of my requests and they never rang back! So I had to log in and request another call.

The information I received was there had been a manufacturing problem with some batches of the Hero 9 ie the clearance was not enough to accept the Max Lens Mod. GoPro should recall all the faulty camera from that batch(es). But, they won't because you will only be aware of the fault if you decide to purchase the Max Lens Mod!

I first carried out the instructions I was given to return the faulty product on the 4th Feb 2021. I have had my parcel returned to sender ie me three (3) times. I'm in the UK so Brexit and paperwork may have played a part in this. However, GoPro should have known exactly what paperwork was required. Plus UPS returned my package every time with a 'reason for return label' on it, but no information on it to say why it was returned, so that did not help. I still don't have my replacement camera (20th March), so good luck getting yours exchanged.

I complained that i'd been without my camera for 5 weeks. So, as an act of good faith GoPro should send out a replacement camera and we would sort out what ever the problem was with returning the faulty camera soonest. Reply "They can't do that"

I mentioned what a waste of money my GoPro subscription was, as I could not upload any footage, as I had none. I was offered a free gift from a choice of 3 items. I chose the 'Chesty'. It's now been a number of weeks since that offer and I still haven't received it. Even though i was told it should be with me in the next week!

I gave my daughter the money to buy a GoPro Hero 9 for my Grandson's Christmas present.. I've yet to see if the Max Lens Mod will fit on his camera or not.

I will probably buy any future GoPro products through a local store. Then if anything is wrong, I just have to return it to the local store.

Good Luck

Tourist

[ New ]
Wow, I agree that they should have recalled the defective cameras.

I asked for compensation when I could not use my camera for weeks, I asked them to give me another month on my subscription and they said no. They suggested I could still take advantage of they subscription by buying more stuff!! I now have a new camera and everything is working but I will look for any alternative cameras in the future because of how I was treated. I will not recommend them either due to a poor history of taking care of good costumers.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was having the same issue: the stock lens was tight but easily came off.  I tried the Max lens mod and got it on and turning, but it would stop just short of fully aligned, when the little tabs try to lock it down. I didn't want to force it, and so I took it back off.

After reading through this thread, I tried again and again. I'd put the Max lens mod on, turn it, loosen it, turn it, loosen it.  I did that about 10 times.  Then, I tried with my hands to turn it the final bit: it almost hurt the joints in my fingers but finally turned all the way.  I think that it must be a the little tabs that lock it down are just a small percentage of a mm off, causing it to be really tight.  But it did finally go on for me.

Again, thanks for sharing your challenges and final success with the wrench. Your sharing encouraged me to keep trying, rather than to send it back.

Jess