Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Transferring Hero 8 Videos to IPhone/iPad w External storage without using GoPro App

Hi Everyone, 

I'm prepping for a long trip where I'm hoping to just carry an IPad + external drive + GoPro (and no laptop).  

I'm hoping to transfer files off my MicroSD cards each night onto HDD via the IPad, and don't want to run this through the GoPro app (which takes a long time because i think it's transcoding files and doesn't seem to offer an option to save files to an external storage).  

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?     

On my laptop I'd just use the Image Capture App in OS X, import files off the GoPro over USB and save those files to the external HDD as the destination.   Looking to achieve similar but using the iPad as the intermediary.   I'd be willing to use an MicroSD card reader if that's the most expedient option as well, but even better if i can just plug GoPro -> iPad directly.  

Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: Transferring Hero 8 Videos to IPhone/iPad w External storage without using GoPro App

hi,

I used the Apple Lightning card reader to transfer directly to my iPhone X.

...till IOS 12.x ruined this...the Apple card reader does not work anymore....reported by many iPhone users and not solved.

so, if you go with a card reader, test it before buying.

I use GoPro app on 5Ghz wifi with camera.

yes take a while.

after download, I move the files in Photos.

in Photos I have set the iCloud sync with "Optimize iPhone Storage" so no iPhone storage issues.

I use iMovie to finish the videos so for me, working on the iPhone make sense.

just me,

robert

Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: Transferring Hero 8 Videos to IPhone/iPad w External storage without using GoPro App

@robert1326 wrote:

after download, I move the files in Photos. ****

in Photos I have set the iCloud sync with "Optimize iPhone Storage" so no iPhone storage issues.

**** and delete from GoPro app media...otherwise will consume full size file storage ....

Highlighted
Hiker

I use a Ravpower Filehub Travel router to backup the card to a SSD drive directly.

For importing into mi iPad Mini directly I use a Time2 iexpand card reader but I have issues copying 4k files to the camera roll (the iPad wont allow it because its 1080) and copy them directly to the Lumafusion video editor instead