Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Transfer live stream data from multiple gopro8s via hdmi

I have recently started a project to use multiple Gopro8s (4 cameras) in live stream mode, and use them to observe the level of a tank as a control measure. The cameras should be turned on continuously for at least one week, so I have to use the USB port as an external power source and the HDMI port (coming with the media mod) for transferring the data (the other reason that I want to use HDMI is to process the recorded movies from the live stream using python). However, I see there are a few issues before starting the project, and those need to be solved first.

1. How can I transfer/record the data from multiple cameras to a laptop using HDMI - My laptop just has a single HDMI port which I think is an output! Is there any kind of hub that I can use to connect the cameras into that, and then connect the hub to the laptop?

2. Where the tank is, doesn't have enough light, and I have to use the light mod (another accessory sold by GoPro). Does anyone know if the light mod can be used continuously if I connect it to an external power source? If it is viable, then what is the best option to cool down the cameras and light sources? Is there any recommended fan?

Cheers,

Iman

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Transfer live stream data from multiple gopro8s via hdmi

You should be using proper industrial rated camera's for this job and not consumer action camera's.  I would actually talk to your EHS supervisor about the risks present as this sounds like you could be using a very dangerous cobbled together solution that could present very high levels of danger to both people and property.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Transfer live stream data from multiple gopro8s via hdmi

Thank you for the comment, however, I didn't get your point! this is a personal project and not an industrial project, so there is no EHS to report to. Also, could you please walk me through the danger(s) that you are referring to? Do you think 4 HDMI cables presenting a very high level of danger to the people/property? Also, I appreciate it if you can comment on the questions that I raised initially and are my main concerns.