Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Trade up a Con?

[ New ]
So I wanted to trade up and buy a GoPro Hero 8 Black.

I contacted the online chat as it was showing £279.99 from £379.99.

They advised me:

If I pay £279.99, dont trade up, ill recieve a free sd card.

If I trade up, Ill pay £279.99, have to send my old camera and not recieve the free sd card due to it being as part of an offer.

Absolute disgrace, and a CON. Poor unaware people have lost old cameras.

Have been a GoPro customer for 10 years + now and this has dissapointed me so much that Iv moved to another brand.
GoPro

Re: Trade up a Con?

[ New ]

Hi @robertc080

Several promotions are offered and updates/changes are made from time to time.
If you wish to take advantage of the free SD card option, make sure not to order it under the TradeUp page.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
But what about all those people that was misled, and have now sent there old cameras (which they could of sold) and also missed out on the free sd card.

Very dissapointing.
Adventurer

[ New ]

You are gven a choice, choose wisely, and  enjoy the camera you chose .

Tourist

[ New ]
Most certainly not...You can hand over a camera expecting £100 and not get an sd card.

Or

You can not hand an old camera over, pay the same price and get an sd card.

Yet people are led down the trade up price as it says £100 off...very misleading
Adventurer

[ New ]

well maybe over seas that how you think deals are your way, it's not

Backpacker

[ New ]

How can it be misleading or a con when the details are clearly stated?  

Let's explain how this works.

GoPro release a brand new camera.  The cost of the camera upon release is quite costly.  GoPro therefore offers a tradeup deal so people can get the camera cheaper.  To offer this, they have to make an internal purchase of their own product (for simplicity sake, lets say 10,000 units) purchased at a specific price to be sold at a non moveable specific price.  These go directly to the tradeup offer.  Over time, people take advantage of this tradeup reducing the amount of available units, but not all of them.

In the meantime, prices of the GoPro are coming down due to competition and most recently the economic situation.  To move units, they are steeply cutting the price until the price of the unit now on offer is the same price as the tradeup deal.  

There are still units in the tradeup deal that were purchased internally at a specific price to be sold at that exact price.  GoPro cannot return them, nor can they change the price, so they still continue to offer them at the same tradeup deal price.

This is called and defined as a seperate promotion (and due to tax reasons, this is why it cannot be combined with other promotions).

This is why there is still a tradeup deal at one price and a sales price.

Is it better for the consumer to buy the camera and get a free SD card?  Maybe... maybe not.  Technically with a tradeup deal you're getting rid of an old camera.  An old camera which you are supposed to put in an e-recycler bin which usually incurrs a fee of $5 upwards.  So you actually save yourself money by letting GoPro dispose of the camera for you.

If you buy the camera straight and get a free SD card what are you really getting?  You have to pay to dispose of your own camera (unless you're an enviroment hating a-hole) and you get a free SD card worth about $5.....    which is far too small to be even considered useful.

So what really is the best option?  Depends on how much work you want to put into getting rid of your old camera (sell on ebay, package it, post it etc...), whether you think you're missing out because your not getting a whopping 32GB sd card, and whether your old camera is actually worth anything.

Is any of this a con of deceiving?  No, as all the terms and conditions are clearly listed as are the prices and what comes with and doesn't come with the camera.  Just because you're too lazy to read the terms and conditions doesn't mean they don't apply.  If you cannot do the math associated with the offer, ask a grown up to do it for you.

If you are still unhappy with GoPro's position with how they are selling camera's, just wait until you have to buy a car becuase you're goanna get fleeced.

Adventurer

[ New ]

you ratehr pay retail and the nget the  deals I get it.    endjoy.

Tourist

[ New ]
I pay retail its £279.99, I trade up a camera its £279.99

🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️
Tourist

[ New ]
So you have a camera that in the UK is worth £50 sold second hand. But GoPro is advertising save £100 with trade up.

You opt for trade up as it advertised everywhere that you save £100 with trade up.

You lose the sd card offer.

You’ve also now lost £50 you could of sold your old camera for because, whether you trade your camera in or not you pay £279.99.

Why run and market trade up, when you dont save £100, because you actually buy one at £279.99 that is £100 off.
Adventurer

[ New ]

1. The Bundle pkg hero 8 is $449.00, it's be advertised for $349.00, a Bonus value of $150.00.  I want the camera only for $277.24?

Untitled.png

and I want the trade up of $100.00 so it comes out to $177.24.  

lets hear it?

Adventurer

[ New ]

2. gopro is on sale $100.00 off of retail $399.00 you ger the camera at $299.99 and a free card,

Untitled 1.png

Adventurer

[ New ]

3. trade up: Retail of the Hero 8 or Hero Max.  to total hero 8 $299.99  When apon check out the sd  is  excempt from the cart. You have 45 days to comply with the camera to gopro, read the terms for further info

Untitled 2.png

Adventurer

[ New ]

More or less a no brainer here. Bundle pkg, way to go if you are a new comer.

Oh I  want the bundle and want the free card with camera, I get two cards, WRONG.  Oh I want hte trade up and off the sale price $299.99 WRONG.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]
That double promo trade in is misleading as hell, you must read the terms to understand.
Adventurer

[ New ]

So Gas stations Post:

Regular $1.8594

I go  in I see two Signs  $1.85 cash, $1.95 credit. and all I got is a debet card.  So I go to the ATM machine and I take out cash  $20.00 I get charged $5.00

No where up front are the actual Prices. the total. until you TALLY UP.  You te Consumer  can not  take the time to read or make a mistake, etc, guess that is hte lesson learned.

Pay attention. Cry to  all the sites on each item.   I'll share one small story:

Click bait. what Gopro was about they got you suckered in and you chose to  not see it.

FISH

Sightseer

[ New ]
When i trade up my old gopro, do i need to send SD card with camera or i can keep SD card?
Backpacker

[ New ]

You only send in the camera. 

So no SD card

No battery

No accessories

The camera only.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Is the battery for gopro hero4 and gopro8 black same?
Adventurer

[ New ]

@hardybeach20651 wrote:
When i trade up my old gopro, do i need to send SD card with camera or i can keep SD card?

@hardybeach20651   GoPro has a SAle on a gopro Hero 8 only $299.99  you get a free sd card, you pay  a final fee of  $33*  give or take, no trade in required, did you know that?

Sicne you like to trade in your camera, You only send the camera, no sd card .  thecamera can be BROKEN!!!! in peices  as long as it has a price of 99.99 or higher, your price will be as follows:

You pay a price like $440.00 give or take, they Deduct $100.00 trade up you pay $330.00 plus give or take and you send them the camera.

If a gopro rep comes on they'll not tell you about the best deal. for you they will answer, your question.

GoPro

[ New ]

@hardybeach20651. The HERO4 Battery and the HERO8 Black battery are different. There is information on battery compatibility here that you might want to check out as well. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
@mariustanya thank you for help!
Sightseer

[ New ]
thank you!
Adventurer

[ New ]

@hardybeach20651   lets try this again:

gopro sale on for $299.99 plus tax to total $330 plus.    the trade up is not the best deal  you want to do the sale of the camera only. Keep your hero 4.

Sightseer

[ New ]
@fishycomics thank you for help, my old gopro4 is not in function anymore, lossing connection and some other things.. I dont need it anymore
Adventurer

[ New ]

understood. thank you, auction it off   get a few dollars  and then your 300.00 camera can be like $250.00.