Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

To buy or not to buy

[ New ]
Looking to buy my first action camera and was considering the 7 black. But after watching so many poor reviews on youtube, reading here and across other platforms online, it seems an overwhelming amount of users are very upset with the lack of quality control, reoccurring problems from previous models, and just dissatisfied with gopro. From charging problems, overheating, freezing, poor battery life/ unacceptable drainage etc. Is this really that common? Are they really just reusing older problematic models? It seems the 7 is the 6 with the added "hypersmooth" and poor livestream capabilities. I would be using this for hunting, off-roading, and other common themes. How has your experience been with gopro? It seems most are fed up with having to return products with preexisting problems. I know they offer lifetime help at a monthly fee, but with their reputation, that should be free until they can live up their reputation. Should I pass on the 7? I don't want the 5. I want the hypersmooth, but not if the camera is as poor as advertised. Has anyone tried other brands such as the tom tom, Sony, Garmin, etc? $400 is a bit much to throw away.

Thanks in advance
Nomad

Re: To buy or not to buy

[ New ]

Lots of forum frenzy.

Are you Geeky, enjpy Learning, and already experienced in Photography / Videography?

Then you'll have very little if any trouble.  

I'm very satisfied with every GoPro since the 3 and use a 6 & 7 all the time, several times a week.  

REALLY suggest that if u get one, you avoid the fear/uncertaintly/doubt channels and just learn the device at a quiet time. 

That's all I do. 

One thing you can do is just borrow a GoPro, ANY GoPro from someone local and see how you get along.  

IMO the Hero 7 Black is clearly the best action camera out there.    

Explorer

[ New ]
@supercreek21222

1) Most reviews are overwhelmingly positive

2) Most people only come here because the perceive an issue (real or not)

3) Any charging problems are resolved with update, and it seems it was really more to do with the battery manufacturer.

4) The HERO7 doesn't overheat. It gets hot, especially at high resolution/frame rates, but most of the "overheating" is just hysteria over a sealed waterproof camera in a small little form factor with a powerful processor and sensor generating heat. Yes, it gets hot. No, it's not an issue.

4) Freezing is mostly due to SD card issues, not the camera

5) Battery life is what it is. About 1-2 hours of continuous recording (depends on resolution and frame rate). WTH are you going to do with two hours of continuous recorded video? If you need a security camera, get a security camera. Otherwise, 2 hours of recording should last you a full day or more.

4) Reusing problematic models? What kind of BS are you trying to spread here? Ummm, no. They are not reusing older models. LMFAO.

5) Actually, there are very few complaints, returns or otherwise.

6) The HERO7 is similar to the HERO6 but has twice the RAM, and as such, is capable of much more.

7) Poor livestream? WTF? Because it's 720p? 720p is still considered HD and it decreases latency. It doesn't seem like you want/need livestream, so why bring it up?

8) GoPro cameras come with a 30-day money back guarantee, so why not just find out for yourself?

9) Customer Service? You mean the Customer Service NewsWeek named top in 2019? GoPro has an excellent reputation for Customer Service. It's free and life long whether or not you subscribe to GoPro Plus (which is the monthly subscription for cloud storage, 50% off accessories, and two replacement cameras per year), so more misinformation on your part with pretty strong insinuations that are completely false.

10) I have three HERO7 Black cameras and all of them are awesome and have given me no issues.

11) "not if the camera is as poor as advertised" - Are you for real? So, you came to a GoPro community to ask a bunch of people who own and use GoPro cameras to regurgitate a bunch of nonsense and then ask if we think other competing cameras are better?

"$400 is a bit much to throw away", then don't.
Backpacker

[ New ]

@danielr15 i thought i was meant to the blunt one lol

Explorer

[ New ]
LOL, I guess I'm just not in the mood for these kind of post. I doubt it's sincere. If it is, my response wouldn't have changed much.
Hiker

[ New ]

I will say (i own a gopro 4 black and the 7 black) gopro is not nice to his customers,the 7 has a lot of bugs,and people who say its a great camera are not 100% honest,i own it since 3 weeks and i hate the battery life (worst than my hero 4) not using the camera it goes from 100% to 0 in 4 days,NOt using it,this is not acceptable from a 400 euros camera,everybody mention the stabilisation wich is great but my 7 freeze many times and need to have the battery taken off to get back to normal,the pictures (not videos) are better in my hero 4,i do lot of pictures and that sucks

Backpacker

[ New ]

@supermesa1470 wrote:

the 7 has a lot of bugs,and people who say its a great camera are not 100% honest

i don't appreciate being called a liar, when I say my Hero 7 Black does exactly as it should who are you to question it? Just because you may be having issues, please don't make judgement on everyone else when you've got no evidence to back up such a bold & stupid statement

Hiker

[ New ]

Did i ever mentioned your name or used the word Liar???No,i just say mostly people take the new gopro ,do a video and as long it look good for them they are happy,i guess thats you and its wonderful...Me i just been bothered by the bugs and the battery life wich not great,yes it does its job ,great video with stabilisation but i use it also for other things,like pictures and its not always great (low light my gopro 4 is better) i have the right to make the comparaison since i own 2 and the new 7 is not as good as i thought,i'll wait for the gopro 10 who will be great im sure

Backpacker

[ New ]

@supermesa1470 wrote:

Did i ever mentioned your name or used the word Liar???

i even narrowed it down to quote what you said & its written in black & white above. "the 7 has a lot of bugs,and people who say its a great camera are not 100% honest", no you didn't mention me by name but do believe i'm "a person" in which you made the generalisation. & how else do you interpret "not 100% honest"

@supermesa1470 wrote:

No,i just say mostly people take the new gopro ,do a video and as long it look good for them they are happy,i guess thats you and its wonderful

where did you say any of that above, you didn't purely the short brief comment i've already quoted

@supermesa1470 wrote:

i have the right to make the comparaison since i own 2 and the new 7 is not as good as i thought,i'll wait for the gopro 10 who will be great im sure

well done on having the Hero 4 to compare it against, & yes you've got the right to make your comparison against each other. I've also got more than 1 GoPro so can make comparisons, & i've got the right to say its a great camera without someone saying i'm not being 100% honest

DSCN9426.JPG
Explorer

[ New ]
"people who say its a great camera are not 100% honest"

Generalization, which easily can be interpreted as, "people who say it's a great camera are liars". If one is not honest, are they not a liar?

I say it's a great camera.
I am not a liar.
I own every GoPro HERO camera.
Picture and video quality, usability, stabilization, TimeWarm, SuperPhoto, HDR, RAW all better than HERO4.
Hiker

[ New ]

Well since you own so many gopro,i just own the 4 and 7,take  the same picture (to be fair no hdr/superphoto)with the 4 and the 7,on mine the 7 use all the time the 7 use higher iso(mode auto protune on or off) like 300 iso when the 4 is ok with 100,we know on those little camera the 100 iso will be a bit better but also the way (i dont think i want to force the 100 iso with protune on my 7)the way 4 treat the image i feel its more natural,better definition,may its my problem not affecting anybody...video yes the 7 is better,also as soon i opened the 7 (firmware1.51)i got freeze(a lot),needed to take off the battery and put it back to make it work again,with the new one 1.61 not as much but still,so your 3 hero 7 never freezed?

Hiker

[ New ]

and the probably most annoying thing for my only gopro 7  is the battery draining,i tried averything it lose around 10 % in one night shut off,i was expecting a better battery life than the 4 but no

Hiker

[ New ]
My Gopro 7 Black, dont Eat a single % battery over night.

I Think there i something wrong with yours..
Explorer

[ New ]
No camera freezing, battery is fine. It doesn't last as long, but considering all the processing it's doing, perfectly acceptable.

You can't rule out SuperPhoto and HDR to make a case that a camera without these features is better. It's precisely because of these features the HERO7 Black is much better.

So, you agree video quality is better, SuperPhoto and HDR clearly make photos better, Hypersmooth Stabilization vs non-existant stabilization is obviously better, waterproof without a case, zoom, 4K/60fps, 2.7K/120fps, 1080p/240fps, selective light metering, live streaming, rear LCD that allows you to see the effects of your changes as you make them, faster WiFi transfer, voice activation, better rolling shutter, Wind reduction audio, Protune RAW audio, face and scene detection, auto color correction under water without a filter, better dynamic range, more shutter speeds, GPS, more WB options... Not sure what else I'm missing... But to continue trying to make a case for HERO4 (or any action camera) being better is just silly.

I'm done with this, as it's a pointless debate.
Hiker

[ New ]

i agree on all that but personaly i dont use everything,the high speed frame 240 on 1080 is not for me,4K60 is a plus but if its to have the battery gone even faster id rather may be use that not often(but it can do it over the 4)i like the waterprooff without a case,but my point the 7 is a new camera, than the 4  an old one and i use 80% for picture(always carry a gopro with me) and the fact i find the picture quality better in the hero 4 bother me,hdr and super photo yes a plus but ,you need to take pictures without movement,so you canot use those on every scene.

The low light video,the 7 is behind the 4( the 4 is more natural,i got this purple high noise  in some case with the 7 i didnt have with the 4),all what i say is not only me who complain about that,if you read this forum im not the only one

But of ourse the 7 bring lot of new feature including this great hypersmooth,but judging a camera only on that (just look on the yotube review,lot of them just focus on that great stabilisation)

I was expecting a real gap in picture and video quality between my old one and the new one i dont find.

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, I was being sincere, otherwise what wa the point in me asking. On the other hand, you was not. You came off rude and almost offensive like a gopro pusher. I came here for unbiased answers from gopro users with experience on the model. Otherwise, I would have went to a Sony board for negative answers.

And just because yours is flawless and makes you happy, doesn't mean it's a great camera. There is a TON of horrid stories out there on this model from unbiased reviewers who don't get paid to push this product, or get free products, and invited to events to say good things about GoPro. As a matter of fact, a lot of the bad Ive read came from this site. People are very frustrated with this company for releasing a new model, when the 6 still hasn't been corrected, only to find out 7 is having the same problems. Sounds like a shady company to me. People want and enjoy the hypersmooth, but consumers also want reliability and trust in a company and it seems GoPro is losing a lot of its loyal customers. Search the threads, look on youtube, read articles about how this model is GoPros last chance to redeem their self after the problematic 6. I like to weigh the pros and cons on most anything I purchase, that's why I asked.

With that said, I chose to get the 7 black and will draw my own conclusion about this product and experiences with this company
Nomad

[ New ]

Hi, 

My personal, honest, opinion :

It is a great camera for sure. It has some issues. Yes -> GP7 is overheating around 57 minutes of 4k recording but after 1.61 FW is just much warm not hot as hell like before. Be ready to buy extra battery/ies. Dont be sure it is waterresist, maybe waterproof -  like little rain. I have no courage to put it in the water without case. I like the quality of video, hypersmooth, timewarp and "easy to use" interface(one exception: no indicators of battery level and sd card while rec > :) I have to mention it). 

So..... there is couple thing for next update but at all it is really nice piece of electronic.

Would I buy it again...... yes of course. So do not hesitate.

Highlighted
Backpacker

[ New ]

hi @supercreek21222,

I own 5,6 and 7

people that are pleased with a camera, do not post here a "what excellent camera is this"...they simply use it.

I'm sure 98% of the gopro hero owners, do not even know about this forum.

here, in this forum are the ones that have found issues, are not pleased with the camera, the ones that want to use the camera at his full potential, and the ones that share their experience in enhancing the outcome.

when somebody found an issue, does not read/search this forum...so for the same issue, there are multiple reports...

when you say that every newly released product has the same issue as the older model... do not compare apples and oranges.

even look the same, h5, h6 and h7 have completely different hardware inside.

CPU, chip, memory, etc.

h7 has a completely redesigned interface also.

about the battery consumption...somebody said I want better power management h7 than h4...again apples and oranges...you can not compare h7 codecs, compression, stabilization, etc. with previous models.

at some resolution@fps h7 use HEVC, previous models are still h.264.

and everything in life and technology has a price ($, power consumption, etc.)

from my experience, and not only from mine, the future releases will also solve the issues (as was h5 and h6), some reported by us in this forum.

this forum has the collective experience of many enthusiasts ...and this is priceless... 

just me,

robert

Explorer

[ New ]
I have HERO5/6/7 and all have gone surfing, swimming, and shallow water diving (around 10-15 feet). Not one has had a waterproof issue.
Hiker

[ New ]

Robert the h6 and h7 are very similar in term of electronic inside,and when im talking about power consumption im not talking in use (of course filming in 4k60 may drain it more than 4k30(h4)) i was talking not using it with gps,voice control and other things battery doesnt like mode off,i tried everything and i still lose about 10% not using it in a short time while my hero 4 was ok

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, I turned all that off, screen brightness down, etc. Just going through the menus and familiarizing myself with the cam my battery drained about 26% from full charge in 10 minutes. I have and external battery I will use
Explorer

[ New ]
HERO4 is inferior to HERO7 and HERO6 in so many ways it's not even worth discussing. If you are happy with the HERO4, great, stick with it. The fact that we are giving so much attention to this rediculous post is beyond me.
Backpacker

[ New ]

hi all,

the only settings that drain the battery when off is Wake on Voice - on 

for any other settings,like touch screen on and going through the menu, the fact that the battery is brand new (and miss at least 3-4 full charges) you will pay the "price" - battery consumption.

common settings:

GPS - on

Voice control - on

WiFi - on (implicit bluetooth on)

the setting that makes the difference from 0%/h to  2-3%/h is Wake on Voice - keep in mind that Wake on Voice is active for 8 hours only.

Wake on Voice - on 

70% at 15:43

67% at 16:56

meaning 3% in 73min

Wake on Voice - off

100% at 17:09

100% at 18:17

meaning 0% in 68min

wake on voice on test:test_1_begin_percent.jpg

test_1_begin_time.jpg

test_1_begin_voice_on.jpg

test_1_end_percent.jpg

test_1_end_time.jpg

wake on voice - off test

test_2_begin_percent.jpg

test_2_date_h_begin.jpg

test_2_voice_off.jpg

test_2_end_percent.jpg

test_2_date_h_end.jpg

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks Robert interesting post,on my side i didnt turn the voice on On i know that will make the gopro on stand by/using battery

Danielr once again im not talking to you,good your 100 gopros work well without a problem,mine not 100% id like to,so why always post here to be rude nonstop

Explorer

[ New ]
Mostly because this isn't your post. Somehow you've highjacked it into being all about you. You should either contact the GoPro Support Team, or create your own post.