Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Timewarp (1080 | Auto | Wide) loses clarity when uploaded to Instagram stories via Gopro app.

Most of the video seems blurry after it got uploaded to Insta stories. It was uploaded directly from the GoPro app itself. It really lost its clarity.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Timewarp (1080 | Auto | Wide) loses clarity when uploaded to Instagram stories via Gopro app.

Instagram uses it's own compression software to reduce file sizes so that pictures and video load up quickly on other people's phones (who may not have fast data).  As a result, video or photo's uploaded can be very heavily compressed as a result.  This will also be affected by how much movement and color changes there are in a video.  Blue's and Reds tend to suffer from compression the most.  

You could try sharing your files to your phone and then uploading them directly via the Instagram app to see if that helps solve the issue, but most likely they'll still be heavily compressed.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Timewarp (1080 | Auto | Wide) loses clarity when uploaded to Instagram stories via Gopro app.

I tried downloading it to my phone first and then upload it to my Instagram. But it's the same again. But for other videos it's having good quality. So, I guess the problem is with that specific video. In that case, I believe it's the settings that cause the problem. The time warp is having an auto settings. So, that specific video is having a settings which doesn't go well with Instagram.

If anyone knows what's the best setting for Instagram uploads, do let me know :)

Highlighted
Hiker

Not sure but I'm guessing that it could be partly because of the compression and partly because of the nature of Hyperlapse.

In normal video there is little movement from frame to frame and that alot of the pixels remain the same as the last frame.  With this compression only describes the changes between the frames.  Compression is also limited to a specific bitrate per second which will limit the quality.

With a hyperlapse video there is alot more changes between frames so there is alot more information to record for each frame.  However there is still that bitrate per second limit which hyperlapse videos might be hitting earlier and therefore looking fuzzier.

Just my thoughts