Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Timelapse during 6 month - building site

Hi, 

I would like to make a timelapse of a building site during 6 months. Surely, I can program when i want it to video: monday to friday, 7:00 to 5:00. It would be connect to an external battery, and the camera would be outside all the time. 

Can I do that kind of thing with a Go Pro?

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Timelapse during 6 month - building site

Sure you can use a gopro for that. I did it myself at a shutdown in the company wher I work. was running for 90days.

Just use the timelapse video option and take the longest time interval. 

If you would like to know what kind of SD card. Just let it record  for 24hours in timelapse video, then you can see how much data that is, multiply that with 6 months. Normally 64GB should be enough, think I used only 32GB.

The only thing is that you will need to do is  to cut out the no working days and speed the movie up, else you will have a timelapse wich will be about 2hours.

More info needed, just let me know.

greets

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

I would think no.

The SD card would fill up quick...then what?

Backpacker

we use one of these at work to record lengthy projects, quality isn't as good as a GoPro but it lasts for months. I keep threatening to pick one up for myself

https://www.screwfix.com/p/brinno-bcc100-time-lapse-construction-camera-8gb/9683t

Nomad

How often would you be able to access the camera? The longest interval I have on my Hero 5 Black is 60 minutes = 1 hour, which would be (5 days * 11 photos a working day) * 21 weeks = 1155 frames / 24 FPS = 48 seconds of video at max. This is assuming you can manually stop and start the camera each day. A dedicated timelapse camera may be more fitting, as the GoPro cannot be programmed to automatically stop recording at a certain time.

Tourist

I could access the camera everyday, but if I could just empty it once a week, it would be better!

What if i don't stop and start the camera everyday and after everyweek i cut the night part?

Hiker

Sure you can use a gopro for that. I did it myself at a shutdown in the company wher I work. was running for 90days.

Just use the timelapse video option and take the longest time interval. 

If you would like to know what kind of SD card. Just let it record  for 24hours in timelapse video, then you can see how much data that is, multiply that with 6 months. Normally 64GB should be enough, think I used only 32GB.

The only thing is that you will need to do is  to cut out the no working days and speed the movie up, else you will have a timelapse wich will be about 2hours.

More info needed, just let me know.

greets

Tourist

Thank you! It helps a lot! Is it possible to program the camera from 6:00 to 17:00?
Nomad

No, you would have to cut the nighttime pictures out afterwards. You only have 24 frames per day so editing a few out per day isn’t that hard. With six months you need to watch out for corrosion in the USB power port. I’m not sure if you need to do it anymore with the newer models, but with my H5B the battery needs to be removed in order to power the camera with external power. Good luck and I’d love to see the results!